Help with my Deep V rim - First time fixie :)

tasd

Jul 23, 2010
Hey guys!

First off, just wanted to say thanks for all the help in the recent months. I got my first real bike this year, and enjoyed every minute of tuning, correcting, and learning in general. I had so much fun, I decided to build a fixed gear to keep me from tinkering with a my other bike :D

With the help of archived posts here and other forums, I have been able to get through everything thus far pain free. Now, I hit my first speed bump.

I was able to pick up a tec9 Deep V wheelset from a friend for cheap. The plan was to clean it up, paint it and put it on the new fixie. Time consuming, but no biggie right? Wrong.

I have never seen a tire this tight before. I snapped a lever trying to get it off myself, so decided to let a LBS give it a go. After about a half hour in the back, the mechanic comes out shocked asking me how in the world I was able to get it on there. he said it was the tightest he ever worked on.

These were pre-mounted tubes and tires from the company (700 x 25c), exactly as advertised.

So my question is, what do you think I should do? I dont want to put the work into the wheels, only to destroy them getting the tube/tire back on. Can I put a different size tire on? If so what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance. Glad I became part of this community :D

tasd said:
Hey guys!

First off, just wanted to say thanks for all the help in the recent months. I got my first real bike this year, and enjoyed every minute of tuning, correcting, and learning in general. I had so much fun, I decided to build a fixed gear to keep me from tinkering with a my other bike :D

With the help of archived posts here and other forums, I have been able to get through everything thus far pain free. Now, I hit my first speed bump.

I was able to pick up a tec9 Deep V wheelset from a friend for cheap. The plan was to clean it up, paint it and put it on the new fixie. Time consuming, but no biggie right? Wrong.

I have never seen a tire this tight before. I snapped a lever trying to get it off myself, so decided to let a LBS give it a go. After about a half hour in the back, the mechanic comes out shocked asking me how in the world I was able to get it on there. he said it was the tightest he ever worked on.

These were pre-mounted tubes and tires from the company (700 x 25c), exactly as advertised.

So my question is, what do you think I should do? I dont want to put the work into the wheels, only to destroy them getting the tube/tire back on. Can I put a different size tire on? If so what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance. Glad I became part of this community :D

First, you're not going to destroy the wheels, although if you use metal tire levers, you might leave some scratches. The problem you're having is either the tire is constructed on the small end of the range of tolerances for a tire that size, the rim is on the large end of the tolerances for a rim of that size, or both. What you see is a quasi-common thing. What you need to do is search for tires that are known to be easy fits, like Maxxis (there are others, but I can't think of 'em right off). Michelin tires and Continental tires can be tight fits, so you may want to avoid those, especially Michelin. You have to use 700c tires, although you're not limited to 700c x 25 tires. Also, wire bead tires can be easier to mount.

tasd said:
I was able to pick up a tec9 Deep V wheelset from a friend for cheap.

FWIW. Try this ...

Let ALL of the air out of the tires ...

Put the wheels in a car that is parked in the open (windows closed) on a sunny day ...

After about an hour (while wearing some cotton gardening gloves -- just a recommendation) or longer (until the wheels are almost too hot to grab -- think of the steering wheel of a car which has been parked for a while in-the-sun), remove the wheels from the car ...
There may be "additional air" in the tires after they have warmed up ... if so, release it.
And then, see if warming up the tires allows you to remove the tires from the rims.