HELP- With N Wales Cycle Path Route Please

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Rick, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Hi,

    I wonder if any of the subscribers are able to HELP !

    I would like to plan a cycle ride along the North Wales Coastal Route,
    of approximately 15 to 20 miles.

    Does anyone know if the route is COMPLETE from say :-

    Flint to Prestatyn and or Prestatyn to Colwyn Bay. I am trying to find
    more details about these routes on the internet, but don't seem to be
    having any luck.

    Many Thanks.

    Rick.

    Tags:

  2. Rick wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wonder if any of the subscribers are able to HELP !
    >
    > I would like to plan a cycle ride along the North Wales Coastal Route,
    > of approximately 15 to 20 miles.
    >
    > Does anyone know if the route is COMPLETE from say :-
    >
    > Flint to Prestatyn and or Prestatyn to Colwyn Bay. I am trying to find
    > more details about these routes on the internet, but don't seem to be
    > having any luck.

    Prestatyn to Colwyn Bay can be done almost 100% off road. There's a
    section where you have to cut from the promenade to the main road and
    cross the river on the road bridge, then a short section along the road
    (but segregated). It's all pretty well signposted.
    Beware of the usual problems of frequently having to stop for
    pedestrians on cycle paths who don't like letting bikes through! You
    may also end up having to ride through sand deep sand between Pensarn
    and Rhyl (and possibly from Rhyl to Prestatyn). You can ride from
    Pensarn to Rhyl along the A548 coast road but some sections are busy
    and without much space for cyclists.

    Last time I did Prestatyn to Flint, I found a section off road which
    ran through a golf course which was quite good. I've never followed
    the actual route through Llanasa and the hills after Prestatyn,
    prefering to take the nice flat but boring route along the A548.

    peter

  3. Graham O

    Graham O Guest

    Hello,

    The route from Flint to Prestatyn is still fluid. Apparently money has been
    made available for a low level coastal route between the two places, but for
    the time being, it still takes in the views from the top of the Halkyn
    mountain. From Flint, head along the main road (pavement is dual use) and
    then into Bagillt. I believe the route then climbs up the hill next to the
    Blossoms pub, which is a good challenge. It is long, steep and doesn't take
    prisoners. It does level out after perhaps 200m of climbing and, I believe
    goes under the A55 and heads up into Pentre Halkyn, about another 70m of
    climbing. Right at the sharp left and 2nd left signposted to Brynford. This
    will take you over the Halkyn Mountain and heading North you go through the
    village of Brynford (past my house), into Gorsedd. Leaving Whitford, the
    official route takes in a big'ish climb. But as an alternative, after going
    through Whitford, the road is quite level and if you take the first road on
    you left, it climbs gradually and brings you back onto the route. Head for
    Llanasa, turn right in the village and left after about a km. Nice descent
    down to Gronant. Cross the main road heading for the beach and pick up the
    cycle track which takes you across the golf course into Prestatyn. A nice
    route, but best done Prestatyn to Flint.

    For Prestatyn to Colwyn Bay, either way is good and 95% on cycle track with
    no cars. Park in Prestatyn near the beaches/Nova centre and the cycle track
    is close by. Head west and along the prom into Rhyl. You have to go onto the
    road at Rhyl to cross the river via the blue bridge and then turn right
    about half a km along heading for Asda. Go past Asda and pick up the cycle
    track again. That takes you all the way to Colwyn Bay and Rhos on Sea.
    Virtually flat all the way.

    Hope that helps. If you need more info, just ask

    Graham

  4. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Graham O wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > The route from Flint to Prestatyn is still fluid. Apparently money has been
    > made available for a low level coastal route between the two places, but for
    > the time being, it still takes in the views from the top of the Halkyn
    > mountain. From Flint, head along the main road (pavement is dual use) and
    > then into Bagillt. I believe the route then climbs up the hill next to the
    > Blossoms pub, which is a good challenge. It is long, steep and doesn't take
    > prisoners. It does level out after perhaps 200m of climbing and, I believe
    > goes under the A55 and heads up into Pentre Halkyn, about another 70m of
    > climbing. Right at the sharp left and 2nd left signposted to Brynford. This
    > will take you over the Halkyn Mountain and heading North you go through the
    > village of Brynford (past my house), into Gorsedd. Leaving Whitford, the
    > official route takes in a big'ish climb. But as an alternative, after going
    > through Whitford, the road is quite level and if you take the first road on
    > you left, it climbs gradually and brings you back onto the route. Head for
    > Llanasa, turn right in the village and left after about a km. Nice descent
    > down to Gronant. Cross the main road heading for the beach and pick up the
    > cycle track which takes you across the golf course into Prestatyn. A nice
    > route, but best done Prestatyn to Flint.
    >
    > For Prestatyn to Colwyn Bay, either way is good and 95% on cycle track with
    > no cars. Park in Prestatyn near the beaches/Nova centre and the cycle track
    > is close by. Head west and along the prom into Rhyl. You have to go onto the
    > road at Rhyl to cross the river via the blue bridge and then turn right
    > about half a km along heading for Asda. Go past Asda and pick up the cycle
    > track again. That takes you all the way to Colwyn Bay and Rhos on Sea.
    > Virtually flat all the way.
    >
    > Hope that helps. If you need more info, just ask
    >
    > Graham

  5. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Brilliant III

    Will try the Prestatyn to Colwyn Bay tomorrow.

    Many Thanks to both of you for your help.

    Ever thought of writing for a cycling magazine !!!

    Regards

    Rick.

  6. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

  7. stevepratt48

    stevepratt48 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2010
    Hi,
    some good news....
    There is an unbroken cycle path (Offroad) from Colwyn Bay to Prestatyn, it shadows the A55 (On the Sea side) it's very level, just a couple of (50'>) humps over jetty conveyors). It can be Sandy around Rhyl, also you have to ride alongside main road to cross the river at Rhyl (On pavement)
    From Prestatyn, the route continues to Talacre (V.Pretty) again off road. There is a plan to extend as far as Flint, not there yet!
    From Colwyn Bay (The other way) there is a really nice run as far as Conway - well worth the effort. There are a couple of different options, my favourite is to head through Llandudno, circuit the Great Orme (It is a public road, but being toll (not for cycles) it's v. quiet. Long slow climb, followed by a manic descent, cycle path then leads off (On right) to Conway, over river, past marina.
    Only touched on the area, there are LOADS of quiet, pretty, runs - I'm still discovering them after 50(+....) years.
    Give it a go, you'll be back for more.
    Regards
    Steve:)