Help with new frameset BMC-Merlin-Cinelli

XTRACKDOG

Apr 15, 2005
I have done searches but no threads found, so I'm asking for opinions.

My choices are as follows due to current availability and price:

1. BMC SL01 Road Racer
2. Merlin C110
3. Cinelli Aliante

My concerns:

BMC - Too gimmicky
Merlin C110 - It is new for 2006 but lots of closeouts. Is it not a good frame?
Cinelli Aliante - Too few sizes S M and L only.

I am open to suggestions on other frames. My budget is around $1K

Thanks

That is a very strange combination of frames that you are looking at... including the Aliante (which is at a far lower price point) is strange. Please explain how you reached the choice of these three (I had heard that it was quite difficult to get a BMC in anything under a few months, but could be wrong).

:confused::)

Powerful Pete said:
That is a very strange combination of frames that you are looking at... including the Aliante (which is at a far lower price point) is strange. Please explain how you reached the choice of these three (I had heard that it was quite difficult to get a BMC in anything under a few months, but could be wrong).

:confused::)
BMC SL01 Road Runner New- www.universalcycles.com local to me $1095 with additional 10% off.
Cinelli Aliante 2004 NOS - was available from www.GVHbikes.com not available anymore
Merlin C110 New - www.excelsports.com $1300 and ebay $999 free shipping.

The Aliante is actually at the highest price point at (then) $1200 I think.

I'm looking primarily for an Alu/Carbon frame. Seems to be the best of both worlds. The Merlin is all carbon which caught my attention. I've ridden an all aluminum bike for years so I'm used to the harshness. Looking to build a 17/18 lb bike or for a frame under 3lbs. Seems a reasonable goal.

I do want a frame that is stiff in the bottom bracket. At my recreational skill level and price point, most frames will do the job, but this is my hard earned $$ and I want to get the most for it.

I'm leaning towards the BMC SL01 Road Runner, even though it is strange looking, it is a design that has been proven at the TDF. Plus I support a LBS.

XTRACKDOG said:
BMC SL01 Road Runner New- www.universalcycles.com local to me $1095 with additional 10% off.
Cinelli Aliante 2004 NOS - was available from www.GVHbikes.com not available anymore
Merlin C110 New - www.excelsports.com $1300 and ebay $999 free shipping.

The Aliante is actually at the highest price point at (then) $1200 I think.

I'm looking primarily for an Alu/Carbon frame. Seems to be the best of both worlds. The Merlin is all carbon which caught my attention. I've ridden an all aluminum bike for years so I'm used to the harshness. Looking to build a 17/18 lb bike or for a frame under 3lbs. Seems a reasonable goal.

I do want a frame that is stiff in the bottom bracket. At my recreational skill level and price point, most frames will do the job, but this is my hard earned $$ and I want to get the most for it.
Interesting, we get the Aliante much cheaper here (I think).

Of the three I would concur with your idea and go for the BMC, which, by all accounts, is a great bike. Any other frames in contention?

Too many. My head is spinning. :eek:

$1K is a lot of money for me. I want to be happy with the frame for a long time.

Felt seems to have a good reputation and is not too flashy.

FYI, My current component setup is a nice salad of:

Shifters - Ultegra double 10
FSA Gossamer Mega EXO compact double crankset
FSA compact front derailleur
Dura Ace Cassette
Dura Ace rear derailleur
Velomax Circuits
Thompson Elite seatpost

Thanks for your response.