Help with new race bike decision

cooper411

Dec 11, 2006
Going to start racing CAT 5 in 2007 and have a bike question. Have the opportunity to buy a Toyota-United 2006 team bike (new) for $2900. Frame is scandium with carbon chain and seat stays. The bike is all Easton and Dura Ace with Orion wheels. Alternatively, I can buy the same bike that was actually raced by Toyota-United (probably 1,500 - 2,000 miles on the bike) for $1900. Wanted to get thoughts on the bike in general (for Crit and Road Races) and also the pros/cons of the used bike.

cooper411 said:
Going to start racing CAT 5 in 2007 and have a bike question. Have the opportunity to buy a Toyota-United 2006 team bike (new) for $2900. Frame is scandium with carbon chain and seat stays. The bike is all Easton and Dura Ace with Orion wheels. Alternatively, I can buy the same bike that was actually raced by Toyota-United (probably 1,500 - 2,000 miles on the bike) for $1900. Wanted to get thoughts on the bike in general (for Crit and Road Races) and also the pros/cons of the used bike.
More important than the type of bike is the fit. Typically, bikes that belonged to race teams are spec'd to fit a particular member of that team. It doesn't mean it will fit you. You may wind up replacing some of the components to get a better fit. Best way to get the correct fit is to visit your LBS that uses something like the Serotta size cycle. Costs some (about $50 here in the Wash. DC area), but you'll come away with a list of proper sizes for the parts of the bike. As for which one? Race team mechanics do an excellent job maintaining team bikes, but they are put to the extreme tests during a race. If you can, be worth having a good mechanic look it over prior to buying.

If the pro bike was ridden a month, it prob has the mileage stated. Otherwise it might be a lot more.

Keep in mind the mileage a pro does on his bike. A (lower level) pro friend of mine asked how much longer the tires on his bike would last while we were on a ride. I gave them a generous 1500 miles, 1000 miles on the short side. For me, that would be a month or two. He said "oh, okay, I'll get tires in a week then." I protested, saying that he won't need tires for a month. He pointed out he was doing 500-600 miles a week. He went through gear incredibly fast. He would crack frames regularly, his wheels would fatigue like mad, etc.

Pros do ride at a different level than most of us. Although Phil Anderson didn't race for Toyota-United, he apparently went through a chain every two weeks. I can't imagine wearing out gear like that. I have the same chain on from a year ago and I've trained and raced on my bike.

However, I think it would be cool to own a "real" pro bike, not a replica.

and of course it would have to fit. otherwise no good owning the bike.

cdr

cooper411 said:
Personally, unless the used bike was a perfect fit, had very little wear, and absolutely "0" evidence of a crash, I would spend the extra coin on the new one. I've seen the deal your talking about and it's extremely tempting (although a new furnace is going in my house tomorrow, so the bike budget is a little light this winter). I'm a cat 4/5 crit and road racer myself and that is exactly what I would use this bike for. It's still an unbelievably good deal at $2,900.

given the number of crashes in cat IV and V races, i would be a bit hesitant to go to the line on a $3,000 machine no matter how good the deal.