help with nexus internal gear conversion

wsharp

Mar 16, 2006
I'd like to convert my Trek 4900 into an internal gear bike as it is my commuter now andI am sold on the merits of internal gears. My main question is will my semi vertical dropouts work with a Shimano nexus hub or do I absolutely need horizontal dropouts? I don't want to use a chain tensioner or derailluer. Also, can I avoid the roller brake and use the pull-brakes that are on my bike now. Any other advise is appreciated. Thanks guys. ws

With no way of adjusting it, it's very unlikely that your chain tension will come out right. You really should to come to grips with what you are going to do about that before you start the project.

Thanks. I suspected that was the answer. Sounds like maybe just finding a used bike with the set-up already on it or an old beater at a thrift store that could be more easily converted is a better way to go. The simplicity of the internal hub is attractive and a chain tension device or derailluer seems like it overrides the whole reason for going to internal. What about the brakes? Any advice there? thanks again, ws
Retro Grouch said:
With no way of adjusting it, it's very unlikely that your chain tension will come out right. You really should to come to grips with what you are going to do about that before you start the project.

wsharp said:
What about the brakes? Any advice there? thanks again, ws
I looked in my QBP catalogue. They only had coaster brake or roller brake models listed. Doesn't sound like what you wanted to hear. Sorry.

I think Shimano intends rim brake users to buy the roller brake version and just leave the rollerbrake off. I don't think it's a kluge, that's the way it's supposed to be done. Just make sure the hub is wired to a rim which can handle rim brakes.

BTW, if your dropouts are not completely vertical, if you can change the distance between crank and axle centerline by a measly 1/2", you have all the adjustment you will need, you can take links out if your chain stretches more.