General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

help with porcini mushrooms

Started by elaine · · Last activity · 2 posts · 277 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 March 2005
Last activity
27 March 2005
Original author
elaine
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
277
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm making the wild mushroom soup that Sheldon posted a few days back. But
    I bought fresh porcini mushrooms (stupidly thought they'd be cheaper than
    the dried ones - which they weren't!!) They have a completely different
    texture than the other mushrooms that I'm adding to the soup. Should I soak
    them, chop and just add at the end or what the heck should I be doing with
    them? Can't seem to find the answer when I google, since all the recipes
    say dried which of course I probably should have bought but didn't.

    Help please.

    Elaine

  2. "elaine" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm making the wild mushroom soup that Sheldon posted a few days back.


    But

    Quoted message said:

    I bought fresh porcini mushrooms (stupidly thought they'd be cheaper than
    the dried ones - which they weren't!!) They have a completely different
    texture than the other mushrooms that I'm adding to the soup. Should I


    soak

    Quoted message said:

    them, chop and just add at the end or what the heck should I be doing with
    them? Can't seem to find the answer when I google, since all the recipes
    say dried which of course I probably should have bought but didn't.

    Help please.

    Elaine


    You found fresh porcini mushrooms in the spring?? I've never seen them
    available outside of the summer and autumn. Lucky you!! Do not soak fresh
    porcini. Gently wipe off any dirt. Sometimes the larger older ones have a
    mushy sponge underneath the cap (and sometimes critters hide under the cap
    so it's best to check especially with the larger ones). Just scrape that
    off and use just the cap and stem. I would slice them and saute them in
    butter or olive oil for about 5 to 10 minutes. Season as needed. These
    would *never* make it in any soup because I am fairly certain I couldn't
    wait to eat them. They pair nicely with garlic and/or shallots. My
    favorite way to eat them is grilled, whole with garlic and olive oil.

    Enjoy!

    Kate

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.