Help with Rear Derailer

E S Major

Guest

I tried to adjust a 6 sprocket derailer because it would hang between 3rd and 4th when the indicator
was in 4th... and now it won't shift up to 1st, and all the way to 6th..... what did I do to it?

In article <[email protected]>, "E S Major" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I tried to adjust a 6 sprocket derailer because it would hang between 3rd and 4th when the
> indicator was in 4th... and now it won't shift up to 1st, and all the way to 6th..... what did I
> do to it?

Mis-adjusted it. A donut says you need to clean and lube your shifter cable runs.

I had a similar problem (hanging upshifts in the middle of my cogs), and a liberal shot of WD-40
into my rear cable housing loop fixed it.

This bike is pretty new (2 months ago)

Might it need professional adjusting?

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 06:34:38 GMT, "E S Major" <[email protected]> wrote:

>This bike is pretty new (2 months ago)
>
>Might it need professional adjusting?

If you can take it back to where you bought it, they should make a simple adjustment like that
for free. Most bike shops provide this service. While there, ask the mechanic to show you what
s/he is doing.

Sounds as if you started messing with the limit screws, since it won't go to either the inner or
outer cog. Adjust these first, then get the correct cable tension for shifting up and down to the
other cogs.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrindx.shtml

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

Thanks for the links below...

and uhm, Wal-Fart aint gonna help me with maintenance I'm almost sure of that..... LOL

"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 06:34:38 GMT, "E S Major" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >This bike is pretty new (2 months ago)
> >
> >Might it need professional adjusting?
> >

> If you can take it back to where you bought it, they should make a simple adjustment like that
> for free. Most bike shops provide this service. While there, ask the mechanic to show you what
> s/he is doing.
>
> Sounds as if you started messing with the limit screws, since it won't go to either the inner or
> outer cog. Adjust these first, then get the correct cable tension for shifting up and down to the
> other cogs.
>
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrindx.shtml
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you used the two adjuster screws on the derailleur that's exactly how you did it. They are made
> to prevent the derailleur from travelling too far off the largest or smallest cogs. They have
> nothing to do with the intermediate gears.
>
> Try unscrewing them, slowly, until the chain will once again shift onto the large and small cogs.
>
> As for the hang up between 3rd and 4th, is it a real problem, or does it just take longer? 4th to
> 3rd cog always has been sluggish as far as shifting was concerned with older units. Never did
> figure out why.
>
> May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris
>
> Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

I will adjust the limit screws once the rain stops :)

As for the problem between 3rd and 4th.....

If I am going from 3rd to 4th, I hear an unrhythmic clicking - like the chain is catching but not
going completely onto the sprocket, or "cog" as you called it. and every so often (approx every
10-12 seconds) it will let the pedals ALMOST "freewheel" and then catch back into 3rd.....

Now if I'm in 6th, and slowly change down to 5th, THEN 4th, it actually stays in 4th (I haven't
noticed if there is a clicking noise or not when it's in that gear from downshifting)

Could that be a cable adjustment problem?