Help with replacement headset

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Julian Wald

I am trying to find a suitable replacement for the headset (1" threaded) on my bike. The bike is a
2000 Dawes Sonoran - a hybrid bike, aluminium framed, mainly used on roads, but also on bridleways
and gravel tracks.

The current headset would appear to be a "no-name" affair (at least no manufacturer was willing to
put their name anywhere on it!).

From measurement the stack height is about 39mm-40mm, including 2mm of washers (2x1mm) (presumably
this makes the headset itself have a stack height of 37mm?). Alternative measurements are a fork
steering column height of 182mm from the top of the shoulder "lump" below the fork race to the top,
and 142mm for the head tube (outside to outside).

I have been looking at the possibilities, and found several likely candidates:

Shimano 105 (HP-5501) Stronglight A9 threaded 1" Stronglight X13 (apparently discontinued)

Stronglight inform me that the A9 has a 38mm height, and Shimano quotes 37.5mm.

Somebody suggested that the Campagnolo Chorus 9 might be also suitable, but probably too large (at
40mm stack height) - or at least very borderline.

I don't really want to spend more than 25 pounds for the headset itself, ideally less (plus fitting
costs, of course). OTOH, I am so fed up with the constant fiddling needed by my current one that I
don't mind paying for better quality if it means that it won't keep coming loose and will last
longer than the current one.

Does anyone have any suggestions/experience of any of these or even a more suitable one to use?

Thanks.

Julian Wald wrote:
> The current headset would appear to be a "no-name" affair (at least no manufacturer was willing to
> put their name anywhere on it!).
>
> From measurement the stack height is about 39mm-40mm, including 2mm of washers (2x1mm) (presumably
> this makes the headset itself have a stack height of 37mm?).

Stack height is the total space taken up by the headset so washers are included. As you're getting
it fitted in a shop, might as well take their advice on what models would be suitable.

/snip
> I don't really want to spend more than 25 pounds for the headset itself, ideally less (plus
> fitting costs, of course). OTOH, I am so fed up with the constant fiddling needed by my current
> one that I don't mind paying for better quality if it means that it won't keep coming loose and
> will last longer than the current one.

Even a cheapo one should stay tight and properly adjusted if fitted properly.

I'm not sure about the stack heights of the various models but don't forget there is always some
leeway as washers and locknuts are interchangeable.

I like the A9. It's cheap, simple and lightweight, and won't go "notchy" like ball bearing types do.
The cups will last forever because the tracks the bearings run on are replaceable. Can be more
tricky to adjust than a bog-standard job, though. It's not sealed well, but the large rollers will
survive some water and rubbish between services.

If existing top race (upper headset) is in reasonable condition (tops usually fair better than
lowers), you could even just try replacing the lower race. This combination can provide a smooth
result and is sometimes a way of getting round stack height problems as well.

~PB

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:31:29 +0100, Julian Wald <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am trying to find a suitable replacement for the headset (1" threaded) on my bike. The bike is a
>2000 Dawes Sonoran - a hybrid bike, aluminium framed, mainly used on roads, but also on bridleways
>and gravel tracks.
>
>The current headset would appear to be a "no-name" affair (at least no manufacturer was willing to
>put their name anywhere on it!).
>
>From measurement the stack height is about 39mm-40mm, including 2mm of washers (2x1mm) (presumably
>this makes the headset itself have a stack height of 37mm?). Alternative measurements are a fork
>steering column height of 182mm from the top of the shoulder "lump" below the fork race to the top,
>and 142mm for the head tube (outside to outside).
>
>I have been looking at the possibilities, and found several likely candidates:
>
>Shimano 105 (HP-5501) Stronglight A9 threaded 1" Stronglight X13 (apparently discontinued)
>

Tim
--

fast and gripping, non pompous, glossy and credible.

Status
Not open for further replies.