Help with road bike sizing, gears and all.

lukezzluq

Oct 17, 2011
Hey guys, I lose out on a bid for a used road bike with alum. frame, carbon fork with Shimano 2300. Now, I'm on another bike. So, I found one. It's a BMC road bike but with Shimano SIS. The road bike size is M. On your opinion, do you think I should buy the BMC? I'm 16 years old, boy. Standing at 166cm/5ft3' and inseam of 30' (I think, will check again soon). How? Can I use it or is it too big? I planned on buying it as my first road bike, I want to train for next year competition.. One more thing, does changing Shimano SIS to 2300 (With STI) costly? What do I need to change it and how much? I'm not really rich, I'm still a student. TQ. Please reply.

please check again the Shimano STI drivetrain model and come back to us, it could be Tiagra or 105 or Ultegra or Dura Ace for example, then we can give you a better answer,

for size an M or an S could be ok for you,

BMC is a top notch brand !

I would say that a medium frame might be just a tad bit too large for your height. But, since you are only 16 you still have a few years of growing ahead of you. So because of that I would say get the medium frame as you will grow into it. For now though, you will probably have the saddle slammed all the way down to the top tube. But that's ok. Good luck! And no matter what bike you end up with, enjoy it!