Help with sharpening with rod

On 01/29/2004 7:00 PM, in article [email protected], "John
Bailey" <[email protected]> opined:

>
>> IMO you're missing the point here. Why sacrifice quality of honing, the reason Japanese
>> waterstone cut so well is they are MUCH softer than
> Arkansas
>> oilstones. The black material left on the stone is metal coming off the knife.
>
> Which is mostly rinsed off by the water I drizzle on the stone. The 1000 is coarse enough to not
> retain the metal swarf, and the fine side is finished with the nagura stone which suspends most of
> the swarf in the slurry. About every fourth or fifth time I use the stones, I rub the two I have
> together, which keeps both surfaces true and rinsing the resultant slurry away gets rid of any
> blackness.
>
>> Go to your local glass dealer and ask if they have any 1/2" scrap, then go to the hardware store
>> and get some 220 grit wet & dry sandpaper.
>>
>> Put the sandpaper on top of the glass and spray with water. Rub the stone until all the black
>> material is gone and you have a clean surface, this indicates it is flat again.
>
> The same process is often used for fettling hand planes. I'm well aware of it, although I belive
> that the abrasive used is normally a bit finer than that. 220 grit is a bit coarse. Try something
> a bit finer and your stones will last longer.

Had the same one for 10 years, it will last longer than I will.
>
>> Continue honing and you will notice improvement.
>
> They have worked to the same high standard since the day I got them. I've been using the same
> stones since 97 or so, and have no black metal buildup, no clogging, my waterstones are flat, and
> the edges on my cooking and relevant woodworking tools and those of several friends are
> immaculate.
>
> The point I was making about flatness was in relation to kitchen knives, which I was assuming that
> the original poster was intending to be the only thing they were sharpening. In this case, the
> stone does not need to be flat to work correctly as it does with woodworking tools.
>
> John
>
>
>
>

Well we'll agree to disagree. It wouldn't kill you to flatten the stone occasionally.
--
=======================================================
"We ride and never worry about the fall............... I guess that's just the Cowboy in us all,"
Tim McGraw.
=======================================================

> > The point I was making about flatness was in relation to kitchen knives, which I was assuming
> > that the original poster was intending to be the
only
> > thing they were sharpening. In this case, the stone does not need to be
flat
> > to work correctly as it does with woodworking tools.
> >
> > John
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> Well we'll agree to disagree. It wouldn't kill you to flatten the stone occasionally.

But I do agree completly in the case of woodworking tools or anything else the requires a flat
sharpening surface. I do flatten the stones regularly. both stones are as flat as could be and
working perfectly. The only difference is our methods of flattening and storage. For which I belive
we are both right.

John