Help with short travel shock

G Wood

Guest
We have a 2001 Stumpy FSR XC with a leaky Fox Float R on the back. The
shock has been leaking oil for a bit, and obviously needs some repair. The
shock measures 6" from center to center of the eyes.

Wondering if repairing a fork this age is worth it, or if a replacement is
needed. If a repair is possible, do I have to ship the shock to Fox?
Guesstimates on repair costs for shock seals? Can I do it myself with
limited tools?

If I need a replacement, is the 6" measurement the one to use for assessing
the needed size? Been looking at some shocks on eBay, and noted some
mention the stroke length as well as the shock size measurement in the
specs. Do I need to know a stroke length to get the best replacement?

Information appreciated.

Cheers
Gary

G Wood wrote:
> We have a 2001 Stumpy FSR XC with a leaky Fox Float R on the back. The
> shock has been leaking oil for a bit, and obviously needs some repair. The
> shock measures 6" from center to center of the eyes.
>
> Wondering if repairing a fork this age is worth it, or if a replacement is
> needed. If a repair is possible, do I have to ship the shock to Fox?
> Guesstimates on repair costs for shock seals? Can I do it myself with
> limited tools?
>
> If I need a replacement, is the 6" measurement the one to use for assessing
> the needed size? Been looking at some shocks on eBay, and noted some
> mention the stroke length as well as the shock size measurement in the
> specs. Do I need to know a stroke length to get the best replacement?

Just had a 2001 FOX Float R rebuilt by http://pushindustries.com/
For about $100 you can have it rebuilt... quick turn around...

ChainSmoker wrote:
> G Wood wrote:
>> We have a 2001 Stumpy FSR XC with a leaky Fox Float R on the back. The
>> shock has been leaking oil for a bit, and obviously needs some repair.
>> The
>> shock measures 6" from center to center of the eyes.
>>
>> Wondering if repairing a fork this age is worth it, or if a
>> replacement is
>> needed. If a repair is possible, do I have to ship the shock to Fox?
>> Guesstimates on repair costs for shock seals? Can I do it myself with
>> limited tools?
>>
>> If I need a replacement, is the 6" measurement the one to use for
>> assessing
>> the needed size? Been looking at some shocks on eBay, and noted some
>> mention the stroke length as well as the shock size measurement in the
>> specs. Do I need to know a stroke length to get the best replacement?
>>

> Just had a 2001 FOX Float R rebuilt by http://pushindustries.com/
> For about $100 you can have it rebuilt... quick turn around...

2nd the Push. Excellent service and they know their stuff.
_____
Slack

G Wood wrote:
> We have a 2001 Stumpy FSR XC with a leaky Fox Float R on the back.
> The shock has been leaking oil for a bit, and obviously needs some
> repair. The shock measures 6" from center to center of the eyes.
>
> Wondering if repairing a fork this age is worth it, or if a
> replacement is needed. If a repair is possible, do I have to ship
> the shock to Fox? Guesstimates on repair costs for shock seals? Can
> I do it myself with limited tools?
>
> If I need a replacement, is the 6" measurement the one to use for
> assessing the needed size? Been looking at some shocks on eBay, and
> noted some mention the stroke length as well as the shock size
> measurement in the specs. Do I need to know a stroke length to get
> the best replacement?
>
> Information appreciated.

Fox used to have a video on their website showing how to rebuild a rear
shock; made it look pretty easy. Guess it's a choice between buying the
bits (cheap), sending it to them (medium???), or going the Push route for a
hundy (per other reply). Being ham-fisted, I'd likely go with one of the
latter two...

Bill "DID replace my Float's bushings" S.

G Wood wrote:
> We have a 2001 Stumpy FSR XC with a leaky Fox Float R on the back. The
> shock has been leaking oil for a bit, and obviously needs some repair. The
> shock measures 6" from center to center of the eyes.

If it was a kona, well...you know.

Get a rebuild kit and rebuild it. It's really simple and much less
expensive than buying a new shock. I've rebuilt the one on The Freak
twice in five years.

JD

yeah man go with push, totally worth it. as for what you would need to
know for replacing it. you want a shock with the same eye-to-eye
(changing this will affect the bike's geometry and could potentially
have your wheel bottoming on your frame, keep this value +/- 0.25in
from yours). you also need the same stroke, changing that would affect
your travel and leverage ratios, bad idea as a shorter stroke shock
could blow easier, and a longer one would be bottoming on your frame,
as with the eye-2-eye keep the stroke withing +/- 0.25in of your
original shock.

stef