Help with some coponents doubs

amog

Aug 27, 2003
I want to built a track bike and I want to know if its possible convert a road rear hub into a track hub. And maybe use a road crank set (with only one gear ring) meanwhile I can buy a special one.

Thanks guys for your help!

Andres

Originally posted by amog
I want to built a track bike and I want to know if its possible convert a road rear hub into a track hub. And maybe use a road crank set (with only one gear ring) meanwhile I can buy a special one.

Thanks guys for your help!

Andres

I doubt it. You would still be left with whats left of the cassette poking out. I have heard of lock rings but you wouldnt be allowed onto any decent velodrome unless you had the right equipment. Spend a bit of money now on a basic set up of proper track parts, you will be far better off in the long run. Road bits are designed for use on the road, and u will only run into probs with them on the 'drome

While it is both possible and legal to use a road rear hub there is one legallity which MUST be adhered to, Quick release axles are NOTto be used on front or rear. There is no legal requirement for the type of rear hub other than it MUST be a .FIXED gear. As far as I am aware there is no way of converting a cassette into a fixed gear, but the old screw on type hub is easily converted simply by screwing on a fixed gear instead of the cluster. As for the cranks, there is no issue there, other than if you are using a track frame it is possible that the inside spigot (for the small chainring) may make contact with the right side chain stay of the frame

Go to surlybikes.com and look at the Fixxer. It replaces the freehub body.