Help with Squeak please.

Toshiro

Guest
Hi group, I have a new Trek 1400 Road Bike which is about 4 months old now.
I have done just over 1500 Km's on it, and suddenly when I am climbing under
a bit of load, and standing, I am getting a creaking/squeaking sound from
the front area of the bike, like around the handle bars or forks.

Its not the pedals as a friend suggested.

So I thought I would come here to ask some bike experts.

I am very fussy when it comes to squeaks, and with such a new bike, I don't
think I should have this problem.

Thanks all.
Toshiro

It might sound like it's coming from the front end of the bike but it probably isn't. That's the thing with alu. frames, you can never really be sure of where the noise is coming from because the vibration gets transmitted through the frame and is usually evident somewhere totally removed. Check for any play in the bottom bracket. Sometimes with a brand new bike the bottom bracket cartridge will bite into and wear away some of the paint, thus creating a bit of play which does frequently become evident when you are applying a decent amount of power. Any bike mechanic will take about ten minutes to reseal it with a bit of "goop" to fix the problem. It's just a case of simply re-facing it. There are also other things you can check like the head set or the pedal spindles but I sincerely doubt whether those would be playing up so early in the game.

"Toshiro" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hi group, I have a new Trek 1400 Road Bike which is about 4 months old
> now. I have done just over 1500 Km's on it, and suddenly when I am
> climbing under a bit of load, and standing, I am getting a
> creaking/squeaking sound from the front area of the bike, like around
> the handle bars or forks.
>
> Its not the pedals as a friend suggested.
>
> So I thought I would come here to ask some bike experts.
>
> I am very fussy when it comes to squeaks, and with such a new bike, I
> don't think I should have this problem.
>
> Thanks all.
> Toshiro

My Trek MTB 4100 had about 2K on the clock. Lots a squeeks under load drove
me crazy for a week or two. A quick visit to the LBS showed that the bottom
bracket had started to disolve into its base chemical components. The LBS
said Trek would replace it under warantee, but only with a new version of
the same piece of ****. Thinking that this would probably just do the same
thing under the stress of my 90 kilos, I opted to pay the difference on a
half decent Shimano cartridge BB instead that should last.

At 4 months, you probably havnt even had your first free service right?
Take it back to the LBS and they'll work it out if they're any good.

Flaps.

"Flaps" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Toshiro" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Hi group, I have a new Trek 1400 Road Bike which is about 4 months old
> > now. I have done just over 1500 Km's on it, and suddenly when I am
> > climbing under a bit of load, and standing, I am getting a
> > creaking/squeaking sound from the front area of the bike, like around
> > the handle bars or forks.
> >
> > Its not the pedals as a friend suggested.
> >
> > So I thought I would come here to ask some bike experts.
> >
> > I am very fussy when it comes to squeaks, and with such a new bike, I
> > don't think I should have this problem.
> >
> > Thanks all.
> > Toshiro
> >

> My Trek MTB 4100 had about 2K on the clock. Lots a squeeks under load

drove
> me crazy for a week or two. A quick visit to the LBS showed that the

bottom
> bracket had started to disolve into its base chemical components. The LBS
> said Trek would replace it under warantee, but only with a new version of
> the same piece of ****. Thinking that this would probably just do the same
> thing under the stress of my 90 kilos, I opted to pay the difference on a
> half decent Shimano cartridge BB instead that should last.
>
> At 4 months, you probably havnt even had your first free service right?
> Take it back to the LBS and they'll work it out if they're any good.
>
> Flaps.

Other areas to check are head stem, handlebars and seat post.
Often simply dismantling and cleaning the area solves the problem.
If it doesn't do it when you climb out of the seat then that's an indicator.

Marty

I had a similar thing with my Giant OCR3. Every time I stood on the pedals, it'd creak. It stopped when I adjusted my stem, so I assume that something wasn't quite tightened properly when it was assembled.

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 09:40:12 +1000, Toshiro wrote:

> Hi group, I have a new Trek 1400 Road Bike which is about 4 months old now.
> I have done just over 1500 Km's on it, and suddenly when I am climbing under
> a bit of load, and standing, I am getting a creaking/squeaking sound from
> the front area of the bike, like around the handle bars or forks.

If it's from the stem, you should be able to produce it by pressing on and
twisting the bars while standing on the ground astride the bike. If not,
and you've checked the pedals, then it's probably the bottom bracket.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo