Help With Stem Angle

SUPER RIDER

Nov 29, 2004
Hello All,

I am trying to change the Bontrager stem on my bike from a size 90mm length and 17degree rise to a Thomson X2, 10degree stem. I am terrible at Trigonometry.

Could somebody give me an idea of what size stem, i.e. length and rise that could get me as close as possibble to my present reach on my bike.

Should I go with the same 90mm length, or should I buy a 100mm length, 10degree stem?

Please keep in mind that the new stem has a 10degree rise, as opposed to my 17degree rise Bonty.

Thanks for your quick help.

Super

I happen to be at my desk and did a quick draw in cad, a 90mm 10 deg rise would be about 7/16" lower and about 1/8" shorter than what you have now, why are you changing if you want to get as close as you can to what you have now?

Hope this helps!

SUPER RIDER said:
Hello All,

I am trying to change the Bontrager stem on my bike from a size 90mm length and 17degree rise to a Thomson X2, 10degree stem. I am terrible at Trigonometry.

Could somebody give me an idea of what size stem, i.e. length and rise that could get me as close as possibble to my present reach on my bike.

Should I go with the same 90mm length, or should I buy a 100mm length, 10degree stem?

Please keep in mind that the new stem has a 10degree rise, as opposed to my 17degree rise Bonty.

Thanks for your quick help.

Super

Thanks Fujiman. It does help. What happened is that the Bontrager 90mm, 17-degree stem I have right now creaks.

I have decided to change it to a Thomson X2 stem. My dilemma was whether to go with a 100mm, 10-degree stem, or a 90mm, 10-degree one.

My goal is to get a little bit lower without sacrificing much in reach. In other words, I'll like to retain my present reach, if I can, albeit with a now lower-rise stem.

How would a 100mm, 10-degree stem do per your CAD calculations?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Super

It would be about 3/8" lower and about 7/16" longer.

SUPER RIDER said:
Thanks Fujiman. It does help. What happened is that the Bontrager 90mm, 17-degree stem I have right now creaks.

I have decided to change it to a Thomson X2 stem. My dilemma was whether to go with a 100mm, 10-degree stem, or a 90mm, 10-degree one.

My goal is to get a little bit lower without sacrificing much in reach. In other words, I'll like to retain my present reach, if I can, albeit with a now lower-rise stem.

How would a 100mm, 10-degree stem do per your CAD calculations?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Super