help with stubborn pedal (105 crank)

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Joshua Goldberg, Jan 25, 2003.

  1. I need help (yeah that way too), I removed the right pedal easily and then I came to the left pedal
    and I cannot get it off. I used WD-40 on it and it won't budge. May have a wee bit of rust too in
    the Shimano 105 crank arm threading. What I may have done (just a wild guess here), when I wacked
    the open end wrench with what is left of my hammer...I may have wacked it downward instead of
    upward...thus over tightening it. Now I cannot remember if I should push the pedal nut upward or
    downward...need advice fast here b4 it gets too dark and I do more damage. Oh Yeah...in case anyone
    is keeping track...a few hours ago I blew the motor out of my 90 day old Rotary tool and broke 30
    cutting/grinding discs. I am beginning to think the metal is Kryponite and NOT 4130 steel.

    On the positive side...I no longer need the 12 drawer Craftsman mechanics chest on my wish list, now
    I have hardly any tools left to put in one.

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    IIRC the rule is "back off"; which is to say that you pull the wrench back towards the rear wheel to
    take pedals off. Pull the wrench towards the front wheel to tighten pedals. In the absence of
    penetrating oil, methyl salicylate or some such, a cola (pH ~2) works great (even on nuclear power
    plants). Soak a rag in coke, wrap the joint that you want to break and let it sit for as long as you
    can - overnight always worked good for me. A beer or two doesn't hurt for instilling patience.

    > I need help (yeah that way too), I removed the right pedal easily and then
    > came to the left pedal and I cannot get it off. I used WD-40 on it and it won't budge. May have a
    > wee bit of rust too in
    the
    > Shimano 105 crank arm threading. What I may have done (just a wild guess here), when I wacked the
    > open end wrench with what is left of my hammer...I may have wacked it downward instead of
    > upward...thus over tightening it. Now I cannot remember if I should push the pedal nut upward or
    > downward...need advice fast here b4 it gets too dark and I do more damage. Oh Yeah...in case
    > anyone is keeping track...a few hours ago I blew the
    motor
    > out of my 90 day old Rotary tool and broke 30 cutting/grinding discs. I am beginning to think the
    > metal is Kryponite and NOT 4130 steel.
    >
    > On the positive side...I no longer need the 12 drawer Craftsman mechanics chest on my wish list,
    > now I have hardly any tools left to put in one.

  3. Harv

    Harv Guest

    The left pedal is LEFT hand threaded. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I need help (yeah that way too), I removed the right pedal easily and then
    > came to the left pedal and I cannot get it off. I used WD-40 on it and it won't budge. May have a
    > wee bit of rust too in
    the
    > Shimano 105 crank arm threading. What I may have done (just a wild guess here), when I wacked the
    > open end wrench with what is left of my hammer...I may have wacked it downward instead of
    > upward...thus over tightening it. Now I cannot remember if I should push the pedal nut upward or
    > downward...need advice fast here b4 it gets too dark and I do more damage. Oh Yeah...in case
    > anyone is keeping track...a few hours ago I blew the
    motor
    > out of my 90 day old Rotary tool and broke 30 cutting/grinding discs. I am beginning to think the
    > metal is Kryponite and NOT 4130 steel.
    >
    > On the positive side...I no longer need the 12 drawer Craftsman mechanics chest on my wish list,
    > now I have hardly any tools left to put in one.

  4. Bentheadswb

    Bentheadswb Guest

    >The left pedal is LEFT hand threaded.

    Like Harv said, turn it the opposite direction! Good luck and may the mechanical gods shine their
    blessing upon you.

    John H N TX

  5. what do you expect of a rookie mechanic Thank you Earl GRR,RANS V2 Ti-Rush

  6. A&B

    A&B Guest

    What they said. Look at it like they both loosen pulling to the front, if pulling *under* the pedal.
    bill "makes sense to me" g