help with stubborn pedal (105 crank)

Joshua Goldberg

Guest
I need help (yeah that way too), I removed the right pedal easily and then I came to the left pedal
and I cannot get it off. I used WD-40 on it and it won't budge. May have a wee bit of rust too in
the Shimano 105 crank arm threading. What I may have done (just a wild guess here), when I wacked
the open end wrench with what is left of my hammer...I may have wacked it downward instead of
upward...thus over tightening it. Now I cannot remember if I should push the pedal nut upward or
downward...need advice fast here b4 it gets too dark and I do more damage. Oh Yeah...in case anyone
is keeping track...a few hours ago I blew the motor out of my 90 day old Rotary tool and broke 30
cutting/grinding discs. I am beginning to think the metal is Kryponite and NOT 4130 steel.

On the positive side...I no longer need the 12 drawer Craftsman mechanics chest on my wish list, now
I have hardly any tools left to put in one.

IIRC the rule is "back off"; which is to say that you pull the wrench back towards the rear wheel to
take pedals off. Pull the wrench towards the front wheel to tighten pedals. In the absence of
penetrating oil, methyl salicylate or some such, a cola (pH ~2) works great (even on nuclear power
plants). Soak a rag in coke, wrap the joint that you want to break and let it sit for as long as you
can - overnight always worked good for me. A beer or two doesn't hurt for instilling patience.

> I need help (yeah that way too), I removed the right pedal easily and then
> came to the left pedal and I cannot get it off. I used WD-40 on it and it won't budge. May have a
> wee bit of rust too in
the
> Shimano 105 crank arm threading. What I may have done (just a wild guess here), when I wacked the
> open end wrench with what is left of my hammer...I may have wacked it downward instead of
> upward...thus over tightening it. Now I cannot remember if I should push the pedal nut upward or
> downward...need advice fast here b4 it gets too dark and I do more damage. Oh Yeah...in case
> anyone is keeping track...a few hours ago I blew the
motor
> out of my 90 day old Rotary tool and broke 30 cutting/grinding discs. I am beginning to think the
> metal is Kryponite and NOT 4130 steel.
>
> On the positive side...I no longer need the 12 drawer Craftsman mechanics chest on my wish list,
> now I have hardly any tools left to put in one.

The left pedal is LEFT hand threaded. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need help (yeah that way too), I removed the right pedal easily and then
> came to the left pedal and I cannot get it off. I used WD-40 on it and it won't budge. May have a
> wee bit of rust too in
the
> Shimano 105 crank arm threading. What I may have done (just a wild guess here), when I wacked the
> open end wrench with what is left of my hammer...I may have wacked it downward instead of
> upward...thus over tightening it. Now I cannot remember if I should push the pedal nut upward or
> downward...need advice fast here b4 it gets too dark and I do more damage. Oh Yeah...in case
> anyone is keeping track...a few hours ago I blew the
motor
> out of my 90 day old Rotary tool and broke 30 cutting/grinding discs. I am beginning to think the
> metal is Kryponite and NOT 4130 steel.
>
> On the positive side...I no longer need the 12 drawer Craftsman mechanics chest on my wish list,
> now I have hardly any tools left to put in one.

>The left pedal is LEFT hand threaded.

Like Harv said, turn it the opposite direction! Good luck and may the mechanical gods shine their
blessing upon you.

John H N TX

what do you expect of a rookie mechanic Thank you Earl GRR,RANS V2 Ti-Rush

What they said. Look at it like they both loosen pulling to the front, if pulling *under* the pedal.
bill "makes sense to me" g