Help with THE front fender

Zilla

Guest
I have a THE XC 2-piece front fender (red or course), with each fender screwed on to a bracket, and
the bracket secured to the bottom of the fork. 2 questions...
- The bracket is secured to the fork with a rubber cylinder. However, I've read folks recommending a
star washer instead. When I think of "star washer" I think of a washer with "spokes" and "bumps"
along the periphery. This can't be the same, is it? If not, what "star washer" are you folks
talking about?
- When I hit a bump, the tip of the front fender hits my tire. Do I just bend the bracket up to
alleviate this, or will using the "star washer" mentioned above do the trick?

Thanks...

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

BTW, regarding the second question, my fork is set to max. stiffness and fender still hits tire.

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

news:D[email protected]...

Zilla wrote:
> I have a THE XC 2-piece front fender (red or course), with each fender screwed on to a bracket,
> and the bracket secured to the bottom of the fork. 2 questions...
> - The bracket is secured to the fork with a rubber cylinder. However, I've read folks recommending
> a star washer instead. When I think of "star washer" I think of a washer with "spokes" and
> "bumps" along the periphery. This can't be the same, is it? If not, what "star washer" are you
> folks talking about?

thye are talking about a star-washer like the one holding your steerer-tube top cap on.....

> - When I hit a bump, the tip of the front fender hits my tire. Do I just bend the bracket up to
> alleviate this, or will using the "star washer" mentioned above do the trick?

You'll get used to it..... I did.

Zilla wrote:

> I have a THE XC 2-piece front fender (red or course), with each fender screwed on to a bracket,
> and the bracket secured to the bottom of the fork. 2 questions...
> - The bracket is secured to the fork with a rubber cylinder. However, I've read folks recommending
> a star washer instead. When I think of "star washer" I think of a washer with "spokes" and
> "bumps" along the periphery. This can't be the same, is it? If not, what "star washer" are you
> folks talking about?
> - When I hit a bump, the tip of the front fender hits my tire. Do I just bend the bracket up to
> alleviate this, or will using the "star washer" mentioned above do the trick?
>
> Thanks...
>
> --
> - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

a 'star' nut is the same one used for the cap nut on 'ahead' style stems. BTW some fork steerer
tubes are butted at the fork - just because it uses 1 1/8th" for the stem doesn't mean it'll use
that for the fender. it will hold the fender better than the rubber thing. use a soft treadlocker.
don't be afraid to *litely* bend the bracket.

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> I have a THE XC 2-piece front fender (red or course), with each fender screwed on to a bracket,
> and the bracket secured to the bottom of the fork. 2 questions...
> - The bracket is secured to the fork with a rubber cylinder. However, I've read folks recommending
> a star washer instead. When I think of "star washer" I think of a washer with "spokes" and
> "bumps" along the periphery. This can't be the same, is it? If not, what "star washer" are you
> folks talking about?
> - When I hit a bump, the tip of the front fender hits my tire. Do I just bend the bracket up to
> alleviate this, or will using the "star washer" mentioned above do the trick?

Do a deja search. I've made several references to this poorly designed product when I put it on my
bike (its been removed since). My solution involved the usage of zip ties.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!