Help with THE front fender

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Zilla, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zilla

Zilla Guest

I have a THE XC 2-piece front fender (red or course), with each fender screwed on to a bracket, and
    the bracket secured to the bottom of the fork. 2 questions...
    - The bracket is secured to the fork with a rubber cylinder. However, I've read folks recommending a
    star washer instead. When I think of "star washer" I think of a washer with "spokes" and "bumps"
    along the periphery. This can't be the same, is it? If not, what "star washer" are you folks
    talking about?
    - When I hit a bump, the tip of the front fender hits my tire. Do I just bend the bracket up to
    alleviate this, or will using the "star washer" mentioned above do the trick?

Thanks...

--
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

Tags:

2. Zilla

Zilla Guest

BTW, regarding the second question, my fork is set to max. stiffness and fender still hits tire.

--
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > I have a THE XC 2-piece front fender (red or course), with each fender screwed on to a bracket,
    > and the bracket secured to the bottom of the fork. 2 questions...
    > - The bracket is secured to the fork with a rubber cylinder. However, I've read folks recommending
    > a star washer instead. When I think of "star washer" I think of a washer with "spokes" and
    > "bumps" along the periphery. This can't be the same, is it? If not, what "star washer" are you
    > folks talking about?
    > - When I hit a bump, the tip of the front fender hits my tire. Do I just bend the bracket up to
    > alleviate this, or will using the "star washer" mentioned above do the trick?
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)
    >

3. John G

John G Guest

Zilla wrote:
    > I have a THE XC 2-piece front fender (red or course), with each fender screwed on to a bracket,
    > - The bracket is secured to the fork with a rubber cylinder. However, I've read folks recommending
    > a star washer instead. When I think of "star washer" I think of a washer with "spokes" and
    > "bumps" along the periphery. This can't be the same, is it? If not, what "star washer" are you
    > folks talking about?

thye are talking about a star-washer like the one holding your steerer-tube top cap on.....

> - When I hit a bump, the tip of the front fender hits my tire. Do I just bend the bracket up to

You'll get used to it..... I did.

4. Zilla wrote:

> folks talking about?
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    a 'star' nut is the same one used for the cap nut on 'ahead' style stems. BTW some fork steerer
    tubes are butted at the fork - just because it uses 1 1/8th" for the stem doesn't mean it'll use
    that for the fender. it will hold the fender better than the rubber thing. use a soft treadlocker.
    don't be afraid to *litely* bend the bracket.

5. Carla A-G

Carla A-G Guest

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > folks talking about?

Do a deja search. I've made several references to this poorly designed product when I put it on my
    bike (its been removed since). My solution involved the usage of zip ties.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.