Help with tire selection

heedcase

Aug 24, 2004
I am restoring a LeJeune from the 70's. The original rims were Super Champion Arc en Ciel Tubulars 36 hole..so that's what I found on E-Bay brand new for less than $100 for the pair. I want to bring it back to original that is why I went with the tubulars. The problem is I ride a Fuji Del Rey from 1985 that is near new condition and I never have worked with tubulars nor do I know what size to select for the rims. The measure ment on the frame from the bb to top of seat tube at the highest point is 54.5cm. This will be my first time restoring or refurbishing a bike and I don't want to waste too much money. I am also going with Vintage hubs. I am only going to ride this bike sparingly not for any road racing.

heedcase said:
I am restoring a LeJeune from the 70's. The original rims were Super Champion Arc en Ciel Tubulars 36 hole..so that's what I found on E-Bay brand new for less than $100 for the pair. I want to bring it back to original that is why I went with the tubulars. The problem is I ride a Fuji Del Rey from 1985 that is near new condition and I never have worked with tubulars nor do I know what size to select for the rims. The measure ment on the frame from the bb to top of seat tube at the highest point is 54.5cm. This will be my first time restoring or refurbishing a bike and I don't want to waste too much money. I am also going with Vintage hubs. I am only going to ride this bike sparingly not for any road racing.
so what's your question?

I guess my question was in disguise..What is the correct size tubular tire to buy? Do I need to find NOS vintage tubulars? What is a good price to pay for two wheels to be built including installing the freewheel. So THREE questions.

heedcase said:
I guess my question was in disguise..What is the correct size tubular tire to buy? Do I need to find NOS vintage tubulars? What is a good price to pay for two wheels to be built including installing the freewheel. So THREE questions.

****...in that case, I have no idea. :(

Wheel that bad boy into your LBS and getr thier mechanic to have a look at it. They can quote oyu on the re-build as well.

I'm restoring a 1972 vintage Falcon San Remo that has the same arc-en-ciel rims. (that's French for 'rainbow', by the way)

Tubies were 700c back then, and they're 700c today. Any modern tubular will fit, though you should mount Clement tires if you want to be really original. They were the rage in the 70's. Or you could get really exotic with silk tires (if you can find them). I saw a set of track silks when I was a kid working in a bike shop back in the late 70's - they were beautiful, with their satin silver sidewalls.

However... be aware that tubulars are expensive, messy and time consuming to mount and demount properly, even more time consuming to repair, and do need a bit more maintenance. The tire can come loose if not glued properly, so you have to keep an eye on them. The Luddite in me thinks that you aren't really a cyclist until you've successfully repaired a tubular flat, but it's additional time and money. If you're only riding occasionally, and your other bike doesn't have tubulars, you might want to nod to modern technology and have the rims changed out for narrow clinchers. That way, you won't have to worry about the glue drying out or the tire coming loose after a long period of inactivity.

JohnO...thanks for the reply..Now I can go get some tubulars. I found Clements on E-bay and also YellowJersey.org has a 3 for $50 deal that seems good. I agree that I should go with a set of clinchers...the tubs are to keep the bike period correct. I think I will splurge for an extra set of clinchers for the long rides or some urban trek off the Chicago lakefront path. Do you have a source for recreating Decals/transfers. This is the hardest restoration part to acquire.
The dedicated Bike Painting shops only do them if they spray the bike. Don't they realize there is market for this stuff?