help with toe clips...

JamesLondon

Feb 25, 2005
Hi all,

I ride to commute and have recently invested in a new specialized hybrid. toeclips are a new thing to me though and am struggling with them:

I've found riding with them much easier than with the old flat pedals, however have found that they mess up the shoes I wear pretty quickly (the dent/scratch the upper at the toe end). Do people wear special shoes with toe clips?

I can't afford to purchase step-ins and shoes, but am reluctant to remove the toe clips as cycling is much easier with them.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
James

JamesLondon said:
Hi all,

I ride to commute and have recently invested in a new specialized hybrid. toeclips are a new thing to me though and am struggling with them:

I've found riding with them much easier than with the old flat pedals, however have found that they mess up the shoes I wear pretty quickly (the dent/scratch the upper at the toe end). Do people wear special shoes with toe clips?

I can't afford to purchase step-ins and shoes, but am reluctant to remove the toe clips as cycling is much easier with them.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

James
You could get a pair of lycra cycling shoe covers. They run about $50 pair if they are not on sale -I just saw some toe covers with a strap on Bike Nashbars web site for $24 or if thats still too expensive how about getting a pair of those slip-on rubber shoe covers that some people use for the rain and cutting the toes off? You could slip them over the toes of your shoes to protect the shoe. You'd just have to make sure that they weren't too loose so that they could slip off easily and that you could still exit and enter the toes clips easliy - wouldn't want to have any accidents.
Eden

JamesLondon said:

Hmm.. Well, if you're committed to some sort of toe clip pedal and unable to transition to a modern clipless system, there aren't too many other options. I suppose you could look into some of the fancier toe clip variations out there.

I've never tried them, but as I've seen the ads many times, Powergrips come to mind. They're supposedly pretty effective, and they look as though they might be easier on your shoes (let alone easier to use).

Beyond that, I'm not sure what to suggest. Save up for clipless pedals? :)

Let us know what you find, and good luck.