Help with Training Bible

Ironic

Guest
Perhaps someone familiar with the Training Bible (Friel) can
explain the tables on Pages 37/38 of the Second Edition
(They are similar so explaining one will do). I guess it is
just one of those things. I'm sure its simple. If you
attempt to explain it, please do so in detail.

Greg, B.A., J.D. LLM, and can't understand the PhysEd
major's simple table.

Ironic wrote:
> Perhaps someone familiar with the Training Bible (Friel)
> can explain the tables on Pages 37/38 of the Second
> Edition (They are similar so explaining one will do). I
> guess it is just one of those things. I'm sure its simple.
> If you attempt to explain it, please do so in detail.
>
> Greg, B.A., J.D. LLM, and can't understand the PhysEd
> major's simple table.

For a start I've seen different books with different heart
rate zones and there's a table somewhere else in "the
bible" that differs from say the Sally Edwards heart rate
zone table.

Anyway the list for table 4.1 involves you doing a 1000m
time trial and finding your time on the left column. Based
on this you can see in the corresponding columns what sort
of pace you need to swim to be training in particular heart
rate zones. This can be useful if you can't gte a heart rate
monitor to work in the pool (personally mine has always been
fine as long as the strap is tight).

The issue I have with this table is that for swimming I
really only train in 3 zones and I can usually guess what
I'm in: slow for technique is usually zone 2, medium for
distance is zone 3, and flat out is usually 4 (with
occasional expeditions into 5 but not enough to bother
recording). So I've basically ignored this table. For
running I always use a HRM because I am hopeless at
estimating my heart rate while running.

DaveB

DaveB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ironic wrote:
> > Perhaps someone familiar with the Training Bible (Friel)
> > can explain the tables on Pages 37/38 of the Second
> > Edition (They are similar so explaining one will do). I
> > guess it is just one of those things. I'm sure its
> > simple. If you attempt to explain it, please do so in
> > detail.
> >
> > Greg, B.A., J.D. LLM, and can't understand the PhysEd
> > major's simple table.
>
> For a start I've seen different books with different heart
> rate zones and there's a table somewhere else in "the
> bible" that differs from say the Sally Edwards heart rate
> zone table.
>
> Anyway the list for table 4.1 involves you doing a 1000m
> time trial and finding your time on the left column. Based
> on this you can see in the corresponding columns what sort
> of pace you need to swim to be training in particular
> heart rate zones. This can be useful if you can't gte a
> heart rate monitor to work in the pool (personally mine
> has always been fine as long as the strap is tight).
>
> The issue I have with this table is that for swimming I
> really only train in 3 zones and I can usually guess what
> I'm in: slow for technique is usually zone 2, medium for
> distance is zone 3, and flat out is usually 4 (with
> occasional expeditions into 5 but not enough to bother
> recording). So I've basically ignored this table. For
> running I always use a HRM because I am hopeless at
> estimating my heart rate while running.
>
> DaveB

Thanks Dave. So let me understand further--If I do a time
trial at "X", I look over to the training zone columns, and
that will tell me what zones I need to train in (when
training in those zones is indicated under the training
plan). And training in these zones is intended to improve my
time trial time from "X"?

Greg

Ironic wrote:
> DaveB <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Ironic wrote:
>>
>>>Perhaps someone familiar with the Training Bible (Friel)
>>>can explain the tables on Pages 37/38 of the Second
>>>Edition (They are similar so explaining one will do). I
>>>guess it is just one of those things. I'm sure its
>>>simple. If you attempt to explain it, please do so in
>>>detail.
>>>
>>>Greg, B.A., J.D. LLM, and can't understand the PhysEd
>>>major's simple table.
>>
>>For a start I've seen different books with different heart
>>rate zones and there's a table somewhere else in "the
>>bible" that differs from say the Sally Edwards heart rate
>>zone table.
>>
>>Anyway the list for table 4.1 involves you doing a 1000m
>>time trial and finding your time on the left column. Based
>>on this you can see in the corresponding columns what sort
>>of pace you need to swim to be training in particular
>>heart rate zones. This can be useful if you can't gte a
>>heart rate monitor to work in the pool (personally mine
>>has always been fine as long as the strap is tight).
>>
>>The issue I have with this table is that for swimming I
>>really only train in 3 zones and I can usually guess what
>>I'm in: slow for technique is usually zone 2, medium for
>>distance is zone 3, and flat out is usually 4 (with
>>occasional expeditions into 5 but not enough to bother
>>recording). So I've basically ignored this table. For
>>running I always use a HRM because I am hopeless at
>>estimating my heart rate while running.
>>
>>DaveB
>

> Thanks Dave. So let me understand further--If I do a time
> trial at "X", I look over to the training zone columns,
> and that will tell me what zones I need to train in (when
> training in those zones is indicated under the training
> plan). And training in these zones is intended to improve
> my time trial time from "X"?
>
> Greg

Not exactly. Looking across at the columns will indicate
what lap times you need to be doing to get your heart rate
to that column's heart rate zone. You still need to plan
what heart rate zones you should train in and how
frequently. There's some indication of this in the Bible but
it's not something it gets into very deeply.

The Sally Edwards books put a lot more emphasis on building
a training plan based on heart rate and how to build that
plan. The Polar site probably has soem plans too (long time
since I've been on it though) http://www.polar.fi

DaveB