Help with walking and cycling in Dorset please.

Michelle Macken

Guest
I'm going to be doing a mix of a walking holiday and a cycling/mountian-biking holiday with my
boyfriend in the Dorset area in August and we've planned out most of our route and stops along the
way using OS maps and various accommodation guides, doing some camping and some B&B, ('cos it's
bound to rain).

However, I thought I'd just ask on the cycling and walking newsgroups before finally using
'highlighter' on my maps, as to whether there are any folks here who have particulary favourite
walking or cycling routes in Dorset, other than the obvious. Maybe an out-of-the-way place that's
only been discovered by word of mouth. (please email me if you don't want it to become 'public).

The same goes for Camp sites, as we are looking for somewhere relatively quiet, but the brochures
can't (don't) always tell the truth.

Thanks, Michelle.

Michelle Mackenzie wrote in message ...
> I'm going to be doing a mix of a walking holiday and a cycling/mountian-biking holiday with my
> boyfriend in the Dorset area

If it's any help to you, we do low-cost B&B and there's a camp site near us, plus we are right on
the edge of the Wareham Forest, which is pleasant for walking and cycling though. Just 50 yards down
the road from us and you are on the Forest track. You'll be able to see the track if you click for
the big map on the "Location" page of our website.

Even if you don't call on us, enjoy your holiday!

Regards, Pete http://www.Organford-TeaRooms.com

On 9 Jul 2003 04:24:32 -0700 someone who may be [email protected] (Michelle Mackenzie)
wrote this:-

>I'm going to be doing a mix of a walking holiday and a cycling/mountian-biking holiday with my
>boyfriend in the Dorset area in August and we've planned out most of our route and stops along the
>way using OS maps and various accommodation guides, doing some camping and some B&B, ('cos it's
>bound to rain).

The coast is very spectacular, but rather up and down for most of the way. It is also rather full of
visitors. The inland areas are rather quieter and the scenery is as spectacular in its own way. The
Bournemouth area is rather too full of people and not really part of Dorset anyway.

"Michelle Mackenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm going to be doing a mix of a walking holiday and a cycling/mountian-biking holiday with my
> boyfriend in the Dorset area in August and we've planned out most of our route and stops along the
> way using OS maps and various accommodation guides, doing some camping and some B&B, ('cos it's
> bound to rain).
>
> However, I thought I'd just ask on the cycling and walking newsgroups before finally using
> 'highlighter' on my maps, as to whether there are any folks here who have particulary favourite
> walking or cycling routes in Dorset, other than the obvious. Maybe an out-of-the-way place that's
> only been discovered by word of mouth. (please email me if you don't want it to become 'public).
>
> The same goes for Camp sites, as we are looking for somewhere relatively quiet, but the brochures
> can't (don't) always tell the truth.
>
> Thanks, Michelle.

A favourite circular walk of mine, though not suitable for cycling, starts at the top of Bulbarrow
Hill and descends to Milton Abbas - one of the must-see villages in Dorset. About 4 hours with an
excellent pub at the half-way point

e-mail me, removing the obvious spamtrap, if you want details.

Simon

All of Dorset is lovely (apart from the Bornemouth bit). I was born and brought up in Wareham. The
Isle of Pubeck ,south of Wareham on the A351, is a good place to start. The Ram family has run a
campsite at Norden Farm, just on the Wareham side of Corfe Castle, for as long as I can remember -
tel 01929 480519. It is famous as the campsite where Mike Leigh's excruciating 'Nuts in May' was
filmed, if anyone's interested.

Simonb

Michelle Mackenzie wrote:

>I'm going to be doing a mix of a walking holiday and a cycling/mountian-biking holiday with my
>boyfriend in the Dorset area in August and we've planned out most of our route and stops along the
>way using OS maps and various accommodation guides, doing some camping and some B&B, ('cos it's
>bound to rain).
>
>However, I thought I'd just ask on the cycling and walking newsgroups before finally using
>'highlighter' on my maps, as to whether there are any folks here who have particulary favourite
>walking or cycling routes in Dorset, other than the obvious. Maybe an out-of-the-way place that's
>only been discovered by word of mouth. (please email me if you don't want it to become 'public).
>
>The same goes for Camp sites, as we are looking for somewhere relatively quiet, but the brochures
>can't (don't) always tell the truth.

Woodyhyde Campsite near Corfe Castle is excellent.

It's an excellent walking area too with at least 2 first class circular walks of 15 - 20 miles.
--
remove remove to reply

The Isle of Purbeck is wonderful for walking bit hilly for cycling i would have thought though..the
ridge from old harry rocks to corfe is great walking and the views are amazing i have seen cyclists
along there too, and the coast there is excellent too especially round Kimmeridge ledge. As for
campsites Burnbake camp site is a really lovely one set amongs trees, with a stream running through
it,fairly basic but big so shouldnt be too difficult to find a quiet spot the address is....Burnbake
Campsite, Rempstone. Corfe Castle, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 5JJ Phone 01929 480570. ... Hope this is of
some help..let us know how you get on...

"Michelle Mackenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm going to be doing a mix of a walking holiday and a cycling/mountian-biking holiday with my
> boyfriend in the Dorset area in August and we've planned out most of our route and stops along the
> way using OS maps and various accommodation guides, doing some camping and some B&B, ('cos it's
> bound to rain).
>
> However, I thought I'd just ask on the cycling and walking newsgroups before finally using
> 'highlighter' on my maps, as to whether there are any folks here who have particulary favourite
> walking or cycling routes in Dorset, other than the obvious. Maybe an out-of-the-way place that's
> only been discovered by word of mouth. (please email me if you don't want it to become 'public).
>
> The same goes for Camp sites, as we are looking for somewhere relatively quiet, but the brochures
> can't (don't) always tell the truth.
>
> Thanks, Michelle.

David Hansen wrote:The coast is very spectacular, but rather up and down for most of

> The Bournemouth area is rather too full of people and not really part of Dorset anyway.

Well, I don't think Hampshire wants it so just which rest home do you think it belongs in?

John B

Wow, I never expected so many useful resposes (and humorous ones too) in such a short time. Thanks
to everybody who contributed. I think we will now amend our plans to take in some of the suggested
alternatives.

Thanks, Michelle.

On 9 Jul 2003 04:24:32 -0700, [email protected] (Michelle Mackenzie) wrote:

>I'm going to be doing a mix of a walking holiday and a cycling/mountian-biking holiday with my
>boyfriend in the Dorset area in August and we've planned out most of our route and stops along the
>way using OS maps and various accommodation guides, doing some camping and some B&B, ('cos it's
>bound to rain).
>
>However, I thought I'd just ask on the cycling and walking newsgroups before finally using
>'highlighter' on my maps, as to whether there are any folks here who have particulary favourite
>walking or cycling routes in Dorset, other than the obvious. Maybe an out-of-the-way place that's
>only been discovered by word of mouth. (please email me if you don't want it to become 'public).

Although the coast will be very busy in August, it's hard to beat for scenery. But if you want the
place to yourself, there are some wonderful spots inland too:-

1. The area where the Stour cuts through the northern chalk downs at Hambledon and Hod Hills; north
along the downs from here towards Shaftesbury; and south-west along the downs to Bulbarrow (which
someone has mentioned) and on to the area round Dorsetshire Gap and so to Cerne Abbas which
should not be missed (the village as well as the giant). Beyond Bulbarrow the downs are modest in
height but often quite dramatic because the scarp is broken up into spurs and combes. Cycling
would be quite good at the western end of this on lanes and bridleways BUT avoid any bridleways
that go down into the clay vale to the N - they can be very muddy and overgrown.

2. Just in from the coast, the Bride Valley behind Abbotsbury is very pretty. Plenty of good
circular walks to be devised, and I would think cycling on the bridleways would not be too bad
round here either - various routes on reasonable tracks along the downs.

3. The country E and W of the Beaminster / Bridport road is some of my favourite. Eastwards all the
country out to Eggardon Hill is a fascinating landscape where the chalk runs down into Greensand,
with lots of steep little hills and deep sunken lanes. Nice villages and some fine old stone
houses. W is a series of hills (Burstock Down, Pilsdon Pen, Lambert's Castle) with wonderful
views over pastoral countryside. None of this is ideal cycling country, unless you keep to the
lanes and even then it would be very up and down.

"Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> All of Dorset is lovely (apart from the Bornemouth bit). I was born and brought up in Wareham. The
> Isle of Pubeck ,south of Wareham on the A351,
is
> a good place to start. ^^^^^^

Sounds a bit hairy to me ...

SteveC