help with weight

pilau ahi

Jul 20, 2003
Good morning mtb lovers. Noob here and just got an 03 Giant Warp DS3. Price was good for me to try out if biking suits me. Now I know that it does, I love it. :cool:
Now here is the problem. You guys know the Warp is speced with so so parts. I want to upgrade and make my bike lighter.
But, I wanna take baby steps, not get the pricey good ones, someone here said to wait for the year end closeouts for good deals but I can't wait that long. ;)
Iwas looking at Richey componensts, cranks and seat post as they have good prices atm but if you guys have any better suggestions that won't break the bank, I'm open to suggestions.
Just wish I found this forum before I bought the Warp as I'm sure you guys will suggest a better deal.

stinky

btw, I am 230lbs and the manual suggests 1000 springs for rear suspension, should I get this or get a better rear shock?

I'm not familiar with your bike but if you want the easiest and best value way to lighten it then it's often in the wheels. Just putting a decent set of kevlar tyres on will take loads of weight (quite possibly 200g per tyre!) off most bikes. And it's the most efficient place to lose weight because you have to make it spin as well as lifting it up hills.
Not sure if this is the sort of advice you're after but hope it helps anyway :)

Just putting a decent set of kevlar tyres on will take loads of weight (quite possibly 200g per tyre!) off most bikes. And it's the most efficient place to lose weight because you have to make it spin as well as lifting it up hills.
Not sure if this is the sort of advice you're after but hope it helps anyway :)

Thanks for the good advise, got the same from my buddy. I already bought Panaracer Fire XC pros, made a difference.
I really want to change the cranks on this bike, I saw some deals on Richey V Pro and a Tru Vativ crank. Are these good cranks. they are in the 650 to 800 grams area. Thanks again for the help.