Help with wheel bearing question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Neguy, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. Neguy

    Neguy Guest

    I have a Specialized RockHopper Ultra I bought in about 1996. The rear wheel hub bearings are
    (apparently) shot and as far as I know, my only option is to replace either the hub alone (and lace
    it up with my rear rim) OR to buy a hub and wheel complete (which are usually sold in pairs, front
    and rear)and just install it complete.

    Reading a tech page on one site selling either of the above options, it said that the standard today
    is rear gear sets with 9 sprockets, but that you can probably use your old 8 sprocket set if you put
    in a spacer. All well and good....

    HOWEVER, my rear gear set has "only" a 7 sprocket set. How did I become so outdated?! :)

    So, my question: where do I go from here? If I buy one of these wheels, won't I have to update my
    shifters and/or derailler? Should I look on e-Bay for older parts? I don't really want to buy on
    e-Bay since that, too, is new to me. Should I just call one of the places selling bike parts and ask
    them to send me the correct stuff?

    All advice appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 17:23:57 +0000, NEguy wrote:

    > I have a Specialized RockHopper Ultra I bought in about 1996. The rear wheel hub bearings are
    > (apparently) shot and as far as I know, my only option is to replace either the hub alone (and
    > lace it up with my rear rim) OR to buy a hub and wheel complete (which are usually sold in pairs,
    > front and rear)and just install it complete.

    If the hub is shot, that is, if the bearing cups are gone, then yeah, your only real option is to
    replace the hub.

    > HOWEVER, my rear gear set has "only" a 7 sprocket set. How did I become so outdated?! :)

    Tempis fugit.. But there are 7-speed hubs available if you look. Check out Sheldon Brown's website.

    > So, my question: where do I go from here? If I buy one of these wheels, won't I have to update my
    > shifters and/or derailler?

    Shifters, yes (unless you have friction and want to stay that way), but probably not derailleurs.

    > Should I look on e-Bay for older parts?

    IMO, no.

    Either http://www.sheldonbrown.com or http://www.branfordbikes.com or http://www.lictoncycles.com I
    just guessed on these sites, but I think they are right.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | I don't believe you, you've got the whole damn thing all wrong. _`\(,_ | He's not the kind
    you have to wind-up on Sundays. --Ian (_)/ (_) | Anderson

  3. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "NEguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Specialized RockHopper Ultra I bought in about 1996. The rear wheel hub bearings are
    > (apparently) shot and as far as I know, my only option is to replace either the hub alone (and
    > lace it up with my rear rim) OR to buy a hub and wheel complete (which are usually sold in pairs,
    > front and rear)and just install it complete.
    >
    > Reading a tech page on one site selling either of the above options, it said that the standard
    > today is rear gear sets with 9 sprockets, but that you can probably use your old 8 sprocket set if
    > you put in a spacer. All well and good....
    >
    > HOWEVER, my rear gear set has "only" a 7 sprocket set. How did I become so outdated?! :)
    >
    > So, my question: where do I go from here? If I buy one of these wheels, won't I have to update my
    > shifters and/or derailler? Should I look on e-Bay for older parts? I don't really want to buy on
    > e-Bay since that, too, is new to me. Should I just call one of the places selling bike parts and
    > ask them to send me the correct stuff?
    >
    > All advice appreciated.

    Try a complete hub overhaul. Clean out the hub and carefully check the cups and cones. If they are
    OK, just replace the bearings, pack with new grease and adjust for no play when under load of the
    QR. If the cones are shot, you *may* be able to find replacements. However, if the cups are shot,
    you need a new hub. It may be the most frugal to replace the entire wheel. You can use a 8/9 speed
    hub and add a 4.5 mm spacer to use your 7 speed cassette. There are wheel builders who have saved
    some nice 7 speed hubs that can build you a nice wheel. 7 speed hubs can build a more durable wheel
    because of the spoke support angles involved. If I can be more help you can contact me directly.
    [email protected] David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "NEguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Specialized RockHopper Ultra I bought in about 1996. The rear wheel hub bearings are
    > (apparently) shot and as far as I know, my only option is to replace either the hub alone (and
    > lace it up with my rear rim) OR to buy a hub and wheel complete (which are usually sold in pairs,
    > front and rear)and just install it complete.

    There are still 7-speed wheelsets available:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html#mtbwheels

    You could also buy a 8-9 speed set (or just rear) and use a 7 speed cassette with a spacer, the hub
    is slightly wider, but you can spread the dropouts a little to get the wheel in.

  5. "Outdated"? it was only twenty years ago that _5_ speed was as high as you could go. Many people out
    there (yous truly included) still prefer seven speed cogsets. They are perfectly able to provide a
    good selection of gears, and with less wheel dish (read; stronger wheel) to boot!.

    But I digress...

    You can get just a rear wheel, if you look. Maybe not by MO or online, they can't make money
    this way, BUT if you check out some of your friendly neighborhood bike shops, I'll bet they can
    set you up.

    If you still wish to build (a good idea, if only for the aquisition of knowledge on how), Mr
    Brandt's book is a good one, I hear...

  6. Neguy

    Neguy Guest

    "David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<XHRqa.3970$%[email protected]>...
    > "NEguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a Specialized RockHopper Ultra I bought in about 1996. The rear wheel hub bearings are
    > > (apparently) shot and as far as I know, my only option is to replace either the hub alone (and
    > > lace it up with my rear rim) OR to buy a hub and wheel complete (which are usually sold in
    > > pairs, front and rear)and just install it complete.
    > >
    > > Reading a tech page on one site selling either of the above options, it said that the standard
    > > today is rear gear sets with 9 sprockets, but that you can probably use your old 8 sprocket set
    > > if you put in a spacer. All well and good....
    > >
    > > HOWEVER, my rear gear set has "only" a 7 sprocket set. How did I become so outdated?! :)
    > >
    > > So, my question: where do I go from here? If I buy one of these wheels, won't I have to update
    > > my shifters and/or derailler? Should I look on e-Bay for older parts? I don't really want to buy
    > > on e-Bay since that, too, is new to me. Should I just call one of the places selling bike parts
    > > and ask them to send me the correct stuff?
    > >
    > > All advice appreciated.
    >
    > Try a complete hub overhaul. Clean out the hub and carefully check the cups and cones. If they are
    > OK, just replace the bearings, pack with new grease and adjust for no play when under load of the
    > QR. If the cones are shot, you *may* be able to find replacements. However, if the cups are shot,
    > you need a new hub. It may be the most frugal to replace the entire wheel. You can use a 8/9 speed
    > hub and add a 4.5 mm spacer to use your 7 speed cassette. There are wheel builders who have saved
    > some nice 7 speed hubs that can build you a nice wheel. 7 speed hubs can build a more durable
    > wheel because of the spoke support angles involved. If I can be more help you can contact me
    > directly. [email protected] David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

    Thank-you to everyone who responded.

    David Ornee, I'll try e-mailing you the following follow up questions: What does QR stand for? By
    "just replace the bearings," do you mean just the balls? The cones and cups would be the races? How
    would I determine the correct size balls and where are they available?

    Thanks

  7. NEguy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >HOWEVER, my rear gear set has "only" a 7 sprocket set. How did I become so outdated?! :) So, my
    >question: where do I go from here? If I buy one of these wheels, won't I have to update my shifters
    >and/or derailler?

    A spare 7s spacer under a 7s cassette (I'm assuming you don't have a freewheel) makes it fit nicely
    on a 9s hub. It would be best to have a 7s hub and avoid the excessive wheel dish, but this
    arrangement _does_ work.