Help with wheels!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sapper3491, Jan 18, 2007.

1. sapper3491

sapper3491 New Member

I've got a Bianchi Via Narone which is basically the entry level racing bike from Bianchi. It came with factory build standard wheels and for the first few months they were fine, then i kept getting broken spokes on the hub of the rear wheel, ususally when i was pedalling hard uphill. I think maybe my weight coupled with the quality and strength of the wheels has meant that i keep getting broken spokes. So i've decided to change my rear wheel and need some advice to get the strongest wheel for around £90-£110. I have a campagnolo casette so i suppose i'll need a campagnolo hub too. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tags:

2. graphixgeek

graphixgeek New Member

Usually the wheel (rim) doesn't have much to do with broken spokes. Usually it's inferior spokes, too much stress on the spokes, or some outside influence (like a BIG stick[​IMG]). Any mid-range wheel (rim) would be fine. There is an ongoing debate about straight pull hubs vs. non-straight pull hubs (spokes with no bend vs. spokes with a bend) as to whether one is prone to spoke breakage or not. Go with a mid-range rim and hub (any will do) but most importantly, go with a high spoke count like 32 or 36 (if you're real worried) and DT spokes 2.0mm (no butted spokes). Avoid fancy spoke lacing and stick with good ol' 3 cross lacing (your LBS can explain this for you).

3. sapper3491

sapper3491 New Member

Thanks thats great advice.

4. John M

John M New Member

the main reason for spoke breakage is probably a poorly built wheel to start with. Get a well made 32 spoke 3x wheel on a Mirage or Veloce hub and you will be good to go for thousands of km.

5. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Good quality build with good quality materials.
    Stiffer rims help spread dynamic load over a wider section of the rim and thus more spokes (given the same number of spokes).
    Butted spokes like DT Competition 14/15 DB or Sapim Race 14/15 DB also help spread the dynamic load over a wider section and thus more spokes.
    I suggest taking your existing rear wheel to a competent wheel builder and have it rebuilt with new 14/15 DB quality brand spokes and a good quality rim.
    Check with local riders who have experience with local shops and wheel builders to get some guidance.