help with wind turbulence/noise

Jerry Holtz

Dec 31, 2009
I have a high frequency hearing loss which is aggravated by the noise created from the wind turbulence as it passes by my helmet and ears. Not only is it probably injurious to my hearing, but it makes it difficult to hear my cycling companions.
I think a fairing of some sort would be helpful, but have been unable to find anything.
Does anyone know of any equipment that may be of help or have any ideas.
Thanks and Happy New Year.
Jerry Holtz

Jerry Holtz said:
I have a high frequency hearing loss which is aggravated by the noise created from the wind turbulence as it passes by my helmet and ears. Not only is it probably injurious to my hearing, but it makes it difficult to hear my cycling companions.
I think a fairing of some sort would be helpful, but have been unable to find anything.
Jerry Holtz

Proper ear plugs will cut the wind noise. A tool rental place, a motorcycle shop, or summat will have them.

Jerry Holtz said:
Jerry Holtz

Hmm... I remember reading about this little thing that attaches to your helmet strap... It was on one of the "cycling gimmicks" threads... now I can't find it though...
Oh here it is...

http://www.slipstreamz.com/content.asp?subID=9

Plain old cotton works for me. It seems to cut the wind noise but does not damp the ambient sounds as much as ear plugs do, IMHO.

I have had a similar problem that I have sought to overcome by adding something to the helmet straps. This actually did reduce the wind noise. They looked a little daggy and at one point I cut them off only to find the high frequency noises came back. You will finds an attachment with a photo if I can get it to go through. I had tried the slipstream device also but there was negligable difference to having nothing. You can make them yourself as I did just with cloth about 2 1/2 inches wide wrapped around the helmet strap and stitched or safety pinned once it has reached finger thickness. They definately do work but whether they will be enough for your needs is another matter.
Peter.

Jerry Holtz said:
Jerry Holtz

I agree with Alienator, I have a pair at work that cut the noise but I can still hear plenty well. Try different styles.

One of my riding partners has same problem and she just uses klennex rolled up. Works for her and she rides over 10000km a year.

I don't have turbulence/noise issues, so I am not sure if this really works. Apparently if you twist the front strap of your helmet, the noise should go away. Give it a try before you start to use ear plugs or attach stuff to your straps. If it works then it is a cheap and easy fix.

guidosan said:
I don't have turbulence/noise issues, so I am not sure if this really works. Apparently if you twist the front strap of your helmet, the noise should go away. Give it a try before you start to use ear plugs or attach stuff to your straps. If it works then it is a cheap and easy fix.

So simple! It's worth a try.
Thanks.:D
Jerry

Lycraless said:
I have had a similar problem that I have sought to overcome by adding something to the helmet straps. This actually did reduce the wind noise. They looked a little daggy and at one point I cut them off only to find the high frequency noises came back. You will finds an attachment with a photo if I can get it to go through. I had tried the slipstream device also but there was negligable difference to having nothing. You can make them yourself as I did just with cloth about 2 1/2 inches wide wrapped around the helmet strap and stitched or safety pinned once it has reached finger thickness. They definately do work but whether they will be enough for your needs is another matter.
Peter.

Peter,
Thanks. It does look like it should help. I'm going to try it before I consider the Slipstream device.
Jerry