Help with XTR Front V Brake Squeal!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Me, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi, can anyone help me get rid of the horrible squealling from my XTR V brakes? My friends wont ride
    with me because of it. I've had loads of dif vbrakes over the years, stx, lx, xt and none have
    squealled this badly. I scare children with it...

    They are two years old, a fair bit of wear from the pads and no matter how much I toe the pads in
    (everything from non- to slightly, to quite a bit, to severely toed) and nothing seems to make a
    difference, its almost if there is some sort of vibration with my SID forks that cause it.

    I've cleaned my rims and also ridden in loads of mud and nothing seems to change the
    amount of squel.

    I've also taken the cone wrenchs to the brakes and adjusted up any play that they haddeveloped, but
    this hasn't made a diff.

    Can I buy a brake booster brace?

    Is this the cause of the squeal?

    help!
     
    Tags:


  2. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, can anyone help me get rid of the horrible squealling from my XTR V brakes? My friends wont
    > ride with me because of it. I've had loads of dif vbrakes over the years, stx, lx, xt and none
    > have squealled this badly. I scare children with it...
    >
    > They are two years old, a fair bit of wear from the pads and no matter how much I toe the pads in
    > (everything from non- to slightly, to quite a bit,
    to
    > severely toed) and nothing seems to make a difference, its almost if there is some sort of
    > vibration with my SID forks that cause it.
    >

    In my case the wear in the joints of the parallelogram construction (bad construction) caused this
    terrible noise. You can feel the play in the joints when you fumble around with the brakepads. In
    that case live with the noise or replace the brakes.

    Lou
     
  3. i acutally have the same model year and had the same problem from teh begining. then i switched to
    Ritchey brake pads....specifically the blue ones. no more issues.

    Me wrote:

    Lou Holtman wrote:
    > Hi, can anyone help me get rid of the horrible squealling from my XTR V brakes? My friends wont
    > ride with me because of it. I've had loads of dif vbrakes over the years, stx, lx, xt and none
    > have squealled this badly. I scare children with it...
    >
    > They are two years old, a fair bit of wear from the pads and no matter how much I toe the pads in
    > (everything from non- to slightly, to quite a bit, to severely toed) and nothing seems to make a
    > difference, its almost if there is some sort of vibration with my SID forks that cause it.
    >
    > I've cleaned my rims and also ridden in loads of mud and nothing seems to change the amount
    > of squel.
    >
    > I've also taken the cone wrenchs to the brakes and adjusted up any play that they haddeveloped,
    > but this hasn't made a diff.
    >
    > Can I buy a brake booster brace?
    >
    > Is this the cause of the squeal?
    >
    > help!
    >
     
  4. Me

    Me Guest

    do you think it could be the pads themself?

    Anyone else recommend swapping out the complete pads assembly instead of buying new brake carts?

    -cheers,

    "HydrillaHunter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > i acutally have the same model year and had the same problem from teh
    begining.
    > then i switched to Ritchey brake pads....specifically the blue ones. no
    more
    > issues.
    >
    >
    >
    > Me wrote:
    >
    >
    > Lou Holtman wrote:
    > > Hi, can anyone help me get rid of the horrible squealling from my XTR V brakes? My friends wont
    > > ride with me because of it. I've had loads of
    dif
    > > vbrakes over the years, stx, lx, xt and none have squealled this badly.
    I
    > > scare children with it...
    > >
    > > They are two years old, a fair bit of wear from the pads and no matter
    how
    > > much I toe the pads in (everything from non- to slightly, to quite a
    bit, to
    > > severely toed) and nothing seems to make a difference, its almost if
    there
    > > is some sort of vibration with my SID forks that cause it.
    > >
    > > I've cleaned my rims and also ridden in loads of mud and nothing seems
    to
    > > change the amount of squel.
    > >
    > > I've also taken the cone wrenchs to the brakes and adjusted up any play
    that
    > > they haddeveloped, but this hasn't made a diff.
    > >
    > > Can I buy a brake booster brace?
    > >
    > > Is this the cause of the squeal?
    > >
    > > help!
    > >
    > >
     
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > do you think it could be the pads themself?
    >
    > Anyone else recommend swapping out the complete pads assembly instead of buying new brake carts?
    >
    > -cheers,
    >

    Good solution: get Avid Rim Wrangler 2 pads. Better Solution: Avid SD7 brakes and SD7 levers Best
    Solution: Avid Ultimates - brakes and levers.

    XTR V-brakes just plain make a lot of noise, on every bike they're on.

    Chris
     
  6. Stuart Lynne

    Stuart Lynne Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Chris
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> do you think it could be the pads themself?
    >>
    >> Anyone else recommend swapping out the complete pads assembly instead of buying new brake carts?
    >>
    >> -cheers,
    >>
    >
    >Good solution: get Avid Rim Wrangler 2 pads. Better Solution: Avid SD7 brakes and SD7 levers Best
    >Solution: Avid Ultimates - brakes and levers.
    >
    >XTR V-brakes just plain make a lot of noise, on every bike they're on.

    Ditto on this. I sufferred for two years trying everything suggested...

    Nothing helped until I swapped them for some Avid V brakes...
     
  7. John McGraw

    John McGraw Guest

    [email protected] (Stuart Lynne) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Chris
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> do you think it could be the pads themself?
    > >>
    > >> Anyone else recommend swapping out the complete pads assembly instead of buying new brake
    > >> carts?
    > >>
    > >> -cheers,
    > >>
    > >
    > >Good solution: get Avid Rim Wrangler 2 pads. Better Solution: Avid SD7 brakes and SD7 levers Best
    > >Solution: Avid Ultimates - brakes and levers.
    > >
    > >XTR V-brakes just plain make a lot of noise, on every bike they're on.
    >
    > Ditto on this. I sufferred for two years trying everything suggested...
    >
    > Nothing helped until I swapped them for some Avid V brakes...

    Why not try Shimano's rebuild kit for xtr? If I'm not mistaken this is a long standing
    porblem for them.
     
  8. "John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Why not try Shimano's rebuild kit for xtr? If I'm not mistaken this is a long standing porblem
    > for them.

    Is this the same reason my XT brakes are squealing? And is there a similar solution?

    --
    Perre
     
  9. jan

    jan Guest

    Per Elmsäter wrote:
    > "John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Why not try Shimano's rebuild kit for xtr? If I'm not mistaken this is a long standing porblem
    >>for them.
    >
    >
    > Is this the same reason my XT brakes are squealing? And is there a similar solution?
    >
    > --
    > Perre

    My XTs squeele too. The fork and the brake attachment have enough slop in them to give the brake pad
    a chance to do stiction. Perhaps the rebuild kit improves the brake attachment?

    Jan Lindström
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...