Help - Womens 500m

Does any one know for sure if Yonghua Jiang (CHN) who took Silver in Athens
2004 is actually the same person as Cuihua Jiang (CHN) who took bronze in
Sydney 2000?

I just want to ensure my website is as correct as I can make it and cannot
find anything on the web to clear the matter up.

--
le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
Six Day Site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 02:13:02 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Does any one know for sure if Yonghua Jiang (CHN) who took Silver in Athens
>2004 is actually the same person as Cuihua Jiang (CHN) who took bronze in
>Sydney 2000?

They've got different names. In the absense of spefici information to
the contrary...

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 02:13:02 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Does any one know for sure if Yonghua Jiang (CHN) who took Silver in
>> Athens 2004 is actually the same person as Cuihua Jiang (CHN) who
>> took bronze in Sydney 2000?

> They've got different names. In the absense of spefici information to
> the contrary...

They have different names as translated into a roman character set. As these
things are usually phonetic it's up to the person who hears the name to
decide how to spell it.

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> writes:

> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 02:13:02 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >> Does any one know for sure if Yonghua Jiang (CHN) who took Silver in
> >> Athens 2004 is actually the same person as Cuihua Jiang (CHN) who
> >> took bronze in Sydney 2000?

> > They've got different names. In the absense of spefici information to
> > the contrary...
> >

> They have different names as translated into a roman character set. As these
> things are usually phonetic it's up to the person who hears the name to
> decide how to spell it.

Yes that's what I was thinking. A good example is Slava Yekimow/Ekimov/etc :)

How his name is spelled depends upon which language you are using.

--
le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
Six Day Site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:25:14 +0200, "Kyle Legate"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 02:13:02 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> Does any one know for sure if Yonghua Jiang (CHN) who took Silver in
>>> Athens 2004 is actually the same person as Cuihua Jiang (CHN) who
>>> took bronze in Sydney 2000?

>> They've got different names. In the absense of spefici information to
>> the contrary...
>>

>They have different names as translated into a roman character set. As these
>things are usually phonetic it's up to the person who hears the name to
>decide how to spell it.

Not in the PRC today. There is a standard method for romaninization
in China. Both those names (Yonghua and Cuihua) use this methond,
called Pinyin.

J "lived in China and is married to Qinghua Li" T

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> writes:

> >They have different names as translated into a roman character set. As these
> >things are usually phonetic it's up to the person who hears the name to
> >decide how to spell it.

> Not in the PRC today. There is a standard method for romaninization
> in China. Both those names (Yonghua and Cuihua) use this methond,
> called Pinyin.
>
> J "lived in China and is married to Qinghua Li" T

Thanks for the input All.

I believe they are two different people now as Yonghua is quoted (roughly)
as sying thet she was ``Delighted to medal in her first Olympics''

--

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:15:39 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>I believe they are two different people
> now as Yonghua is quoted (roughly)
>as sying thet she was ``Delighted to
> medal in her first Olympics''

Have you cleared up that confusion about David Millar and Robert
Millar yet?

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com