Help XTR Front Derailler

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Per ElmsäTer, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. I'm having problems adjusting my FDR on my new XTR dual lever system. going from the granny is no
    problem but going upp to the big ring is very strenuous actually. All other gears except this one I
    can preshift, let go of the shiftlever and when I turn the cranks the chain will move to the
    preshifted gear. If I try to preshift to the big ring without turning the cranks it is like the
    chain will be squeesed between the FDR and the big ring. This means it will not move until the ring
    starts moving and I have to hold on the the shift lever until it is all the way up. If I let go to
    early it will drop back down to the middle ring again. This is really starting to become a nuisance
    especially since all the other gears are shifting so absolutely perfectly and easily. How can I
    adjust the FDR so it will go "click" and I can just let go and have the cranks move the chain on up
    depending on how fast they are turning?

    --
    Perre

  2. H. Van Beek

    H. Van Beek Guest

    Is the FDR not to high on the tube. It suppose to be as close as possible just without touching the
    chainwheels.

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm having problems adjusting my FDR on my new XTR dual lever system.
    going
    > from the granny is no problem but going upp to the big ring is very strenuous actually. All other
    > gears except this one I can preshift, let go of the shiftlever and when I turn the cranks the
    > chain will move to the preshifted gear. If I try to preshift to the big ring without turning the
    > cranks it is like the chain will be squeesed between the FDR and the big ring. This means it will
    > not move until the ring starts moving and I have
    > hold on the the shift lever until it is all the way up. If I let go to
    early
    > it will drop back down to the middle ring again. This is really starting
    > become a nuisance especially since all the other gears are shifting so absolutely perfectly and
    > easily. How can I adjust the FDR so it will go "click" and I can just let go and have the cranks
    > move the chain on up depending on how fast they are turning?
    >
    > --
    > Perre
    >
    > You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  3. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    It could be your front shifter isn't strong enough.
    It is working against spring tension + the pull of the chain.
    Wear and dirt are ememies in this battle.

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "H. van Beek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is the FDR not to high on the tube. It suppose to be as close as possible just without touching
    > the chainwheels.

    ...or 1-3mm between the bottom of the cage and tops of the teeth...

    Mike

  5. daveornee wrote:

    > It could be your front shifter isn't strong enough. It is working against spring tension + the
    > pull of the chain. Wear and dirt are ememies in this battle.

    It is brand new so I sure hope that is not the problem.
    --
    Perre

  6. H. van Beek wrote:
    > Is the FDR not to high on the tube. It suppose to be as close as possible just without touching
    > the chainwheels.

    Hmmm.. It looks like the back end is higher than the front end. Is there an adjustment so that I can
    change this angle. The FDR itself is fastened around the seat tube in such a way that you can slide
    it up and down freely, but how can the angle be adjusted?

    On the other hand my problem feels like it is too low, at least until it has moved the chain up. The
    front end is about 3-4 mm above the big ring and the back end is probably 12 mm above the ring.

    --
    Perre