Help XTR Front Derailler



Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Per ElmsäTer

Guest
I'm having problems adjusting my FDR on my new XTR dual lever system. going from the granny is no
problem but going upp to the big ring is very strenuous actually. All other gears except this one I
can preshift, let go of the shiftlever and when I turn the cranks the chain will move to the
preshifted gear. If I try to preshift to the big ring without turning the cranks it is like the
chain will be squeesed between the FDR and the big ring. This means it will not move until the ring
starts moving and I have to hold on the the shift lever until it is all the way up. If I let go to
early it will drop back down to the middle ring again. This is really starting to become a nuisance
especially since all the other gears are shifting so absolutely perfectly and easily. How can I
adjust the FDR so it will go "click" and I can just let go and have the cranks move the chain on up
depending on how fast they are turning?

--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
 
H

H. Van Beek

Guest
Is the FDR not to high on the tube. It suppose to be as close as possible just without touching the
chainwheels.

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> I'm having problems adjusting my FDR on my new XTR dual lever system.
going
> from the granny is no problem but going upp to the big ring is very strenuous actually. All other
> gears except this one I can preshift, let go of the shiftlever and when I turn the cranks the
> chain will move to the preshifted gear. If I try to preshift to the big ring without turning the
> cranks it is like the chain will be squeesed between the FDR and the big ring. This means it will
> not move until the ring starts moving and I have
to
> hold on the the shift lever until it is all the way up. If I let go to
early
> it will drop back down to the middle ring again. This is really starting
to
> become a nuisance especially since all the other gears are shifting so absolutely perfectly and
> easily. How can I adjust the FDR so it will go "click" and I can just let go and have the cranks
> move the chain on up depending on how fast they are turning?
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
 

daveornee

New Member
Sep 18, 2003
2,763
0
0
Originally posted by Per ElmsäTer
I'm having problems adjusting my FDR on my new XTR dual lever system. going from the granny is no
problem but going upp to the big ring is very strenuous actually. All other gears except this one I
can preshift, let go of the shiftlever and when I turn the cranks the chain will move to the
preshifted gear. If I try to preshift to the big ring without turning the cranks it is like the
chain will be squeesed between the FDR and the big ring. This means it will not move until the ring
starts moving and I have to hold on the the shift lever until it is all the way up. If I let go to
early it will drop back down to the middle ring again. This is really starting to become a nuisance
especially since all the other gears are shifting so absolutely perfectly and easily. How can I
adjust the FDR so it will go "click" and I can just let go and have the cranks move the chain on up
depending on how fast they are turning?

--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

It could be your front shifter isn't strong enough.
It is working against spring tension + the pull of the chain.
Wear and dirt are ememies in this battle.
 
M

Mike S.

Guest
"H. van Beek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is the FDR not to high on the tube. It suppose to be as close as possible just without touching
> the chainwheels.
>
>
...or 1-3mm between the bottom of the cage and tops of the teeth...

Mike

> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm having problems adjusting my FDR on my new XTR dual lever system.
> going
> > from the granny is no problem but going upp to the big ring is very strenuous actually. All
> > other gears except this one I can preshift, let
go
> > of the shiftlever and when I turn the cranks the chain will move to the preshifted gear. If I
> > try to preshift to the big ring without turning
the
> > cranks it is like the chain will be squeesed between the FDR and the big ring. This means it
> > will not move until the ring starts moving and I
have
> to
> > hold on the the shift lever until it is all the way up. If I let go to
> early
> > it will drop back down to the middle ring again. This is really starting
> to
> > become a nuisance especially since all the other gears are shifting so absolutely perfectly and
> > easily. How can I adjust the FDR so it will go "click" and I can just let go and have the cranks
> > move the chain on up depending on how fast they are turning?
> >
> > --
> > Perre
> >
> > You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
> >
>
 
P

Per ElmsäTer

Guest
daveornee wrote:
>
> It could be your front shifter isn't strong enough. It is working against spring tension + the
> pull of the chain. Wear and dirt are ememies in this battle.
>
It is brand new so I sure hope that is not the problem.
--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
 
P

Per ElmsäTer

Guest
H. van Beek wrote:
> Is the FDR not to high on the tube. It suppose to be as close as possible just without touching
> the chainwheels.
>
>

Hmmm.. It looks like the back end is higher than the front end. Is there an adjustment so that I can
change this angle. The FDR itself is fastened around the seat tube in such a way that you can slide
it up and down freely, but how can the angle be adjusted?

On the other hand my problem feels like it is too low, at least until it has moved the chain up. The
front end is about 3-4 mm above the big ring and the back end is probably 12 mm above the ring.

--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.