help! zeus w/ 35xP1 bb threads

Charles Taylor

Guest
Hi Everybody,

My zeus has a bad fixed bb cup that I need to remove but don't know the handed-ness of the thread.
The sugino bb cups both say 35xP1, which I've never heard of.

More info:

bb shell is 67mm wide (not 68, measured twice)

Zeus frame looks to be late 70s (cable guides over bb shell)

campy italian Nuovo Record spindle (70-ss) is a perfect replacement for the sugino spindle.

My question is: what's the handed-ness of the fixed cup? It's on there monster tight, maybe
rusted tight.

Thanks

charles taylor wrote:

> My zeus has a bad fixed bb cup that I need to remove but don't know the handed-ness of the thread.
> The sugino bb cups both say 35xP1, which I've never heard of.

35 x 1 designates both French and Swiss threading, the difference being in the "handedness" of the
fixed cup.

French fixed cups=right (wrong)

Swiss fixed cups=left (right)

I've never heard of Zeus using Swiss, I'd bet it's French, righty-tighty on both sides.

Sheldon "Strictly Speaking, Possibly" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------
+
| Military conscription is the worst form of slavery. | A more enlightened age will consider it a
| War crime. |
+-------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

On 2003-12-11, charles taylor <[email protected]> wrote:

> My zeus has a bad fixed bb cup that I need to remove but don't know the handed-ness of the thread.
> The sugino bb cups both say 35xP1, which I've never heard of.

That's French threading.

> More info:
>
> bb shell is 67mm wide (not 68, measured twice)
>
> Zeus frame looks to be late 70s (cable guides over bb shell)
>
> campy italian Nuovo Record spindle (70-ss) is a perfect replacement for the sugino spindle.
>
> My question is: what's the handed-ness of the fixed cup? It's on there monster tight, maybe
> rusted tight.

It'll be right-hand, which is why it needs to be monster-tight.

--

-John ([email protected])

charles taylor wrote:
> My zeus has a bad fixed bb cup that I need to remove but don't know the handed-ness of the thread.
> The sugino bb cups both say 35xP1, which I've never heard of. More info: bb shell is 67mm wide
> (not 68, measured twice) Zeus frame looks to be late 70s (cable guides over bb shell) campy
> italian Nuovo Record spindle (70-ss) is a perfect replacement for the sugino spindle. My question
> is: what's the handed-ness of the fixed cup? It's on there monster tight, maybe rusted tight.

Zeus bicycles are French thread. Unscrew BB cups anti-clockwise, same on both sides. The shell was
68mm before someone agressively faced the sides. It is still a "68" for purposes of parts selection.

The proper tool bolts through the BB , clamping the cup securely, and has a long 400mm handle. Well
worth the $1 charge at an LBS if it is troublesome at home, IMHO.