HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gadget

Guest
OK I've done a daft thing. I've gone and signed up for the Rome to the dome charity cycle
ride(www.rometothedome.com). The ride itself is not very daft. It is doing a great thing to help
others, but I have a few problems. I am trail rider at heart and most equipment, bike included, I
own has been built for taking heavy grounding. It's a hardpoint with off road tyres, as the most I
road commute is 4 miles into work. I'm looking for a decent set of "crossbreeds". Something for the
off-road, so I can continue to train down the long stretches of Lee Valley tow path but something
that will make my life easier on the road. Any suggestions? Another thing I'm wondering about is
what to wear. I presume in June in Italy the weather could get a bit warm and my usual attire of
jeans might sap my energy and stamina. The idea of lycra doesn't appeal to me and would prefer baggy
shorts. I will be cycling for 16 days and so will need to have a small supply of them. (I thought of
having two pairs and washing them each day but I'm not that house proud). Any suggestions for cheap,
baggy, (easily cleanable) cycle shorts not made of Lycra? And thirdly as my main cycling is off road
I am looking for an on road cycling club in Enfield with which to train with. Again any suggestions?

Nick

P.S - Don't put your name to anything after alcohol. :)

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK I've done a daft thing. I've gone and signed up for the Rome to the
dome
> charity cycle ride(www.rometothedome.com). The ride itself is not very
daft.
> It is doing a great thing to help others, but I have a few problems. I am trail rider at heart and
> most equipment, bike included, I own has been
built
> for taking heavy grounding. It's a hardpoint with off road tyres, as the most I road commute is 4
> miles into work. I'm looking for a decent set of "crossbreeds".
- I've got a full sus XC bike for off-roading but realised this was largely a large waste of effort
for road riding, so invested in an old 'racer' style Raleigh Sun Solo. It's in vgc and only cost
£40. It's worth checking local press / bargain pages / the net. I saw one last week going for
£15, also described as vgc...almost in the realm of disposables, use once, throw away!!... The
beauty is it's designed for long distance road work. I was a little worried when I started out on
it as it seems so delicate compared to the XC, but I've done plenty o' miles and, touch formica,
not had a single problem yet. Once you get used to sharp saddles (or invest in a leather, well
worth it) and the idea that the incredibly thin wheels won't collapse at every pothole, they are
great fun.

Something for the off-road, so I can continue to train down
> the long stretches of Lee Valley tow path but something that will make my life easier on the road.
> Any suggestions? Another thing I'm wondering
about
> is what to wear. I presume in June in Italy the weather could get a bit
warm
> and my usual attire of jeans might sap my energy and stamina. The idea of lycra doesn't appeal to
> me and would prefer baggy shorts. I will be
cycling
> for 16 days and so will need to have a small supply of them. (I thought of having two pairs and
> washing them each day but I'm not that house proud). Any suggestions for cheap, baggy, (easily
> cleanable) cycle shorts not made of Lycra?
Unfortunately, Lycra is not really a fashion statement. It's a technical material that wicks sweat
away, keeps your temperature constant and doesn't restrict bloodflow or create pressure points.
There are fashion victims on the lycra front, this is wholly pattern / colour driven though.
Technical clothing can be worn in an understated way that doesn't scream out 'who's nicked me carpet
then ?'. I wear Ron Hill bikesters (tracksters for bikes 8-P ) and a short sleeved technical
t-shirt, with a windcheater / waterproof light jacket if necessary and finally gloves. During the
winter I add another layer (long sleeved cycling jersey and lycra leggings) along with waterproof
breathable trousers if it's looking wet. Shoes wise, I've got standard pedals and a pair of rigid
soled trainers. The bikesters are long lycra cycling trousers. They are not skin tight and take
grazing on tarmac very well, providing a certain amount of protection. All of this can be obtained
from your local TK Max store (we love TK Max ;-) at a very reasonable price. Alternately , there are
probably sales on in local bike shops at the moment for summer gear. Oh yeah, Lycra also dries out
incredibly quickly and packs down into a much smaller space as well as being lighter than denim. -
Come over to the Dark Side...you won't regret it.....'onest.

And thirdly as my main cycling is off road I am looking for an on
> road cycling club in Enfield with which to train with. Again any suggestions?

Sorry, can't help on this one.

> Nick
>
> P.S - Don't put your name to anything after alcohol. :)

Good luck with your effort, hope it all goes well, keep us posted..... ...and don't forget, it's
totally up to you, but.......<glances left/right and whispers>.....helmet !......

Ooops!, I'm outta here!..........

Dave.

If it's not too far, you may find Finsbury Park CC useful. They meet on Sundays in Potters Bar, just
outside the M25. Not too far from Enfield and allows some nice rides in Hertfordshire. Look at their
WWW - http://www.finsburyparkcc.org/ - it gives details of times and meeting places.

There are lots of other north London clubs. Just do a suitable Google Search.

Rob

PPS - If anyone wishes to sponser me that would be a great help too, as I have to raise £1250 and
have only yet managed £2.

Nick

"Rob Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> If it's not too far, you may find Finsbury Park CC useful. They meet on Sundays in Potters Bar,
> just outside the M25. Not too far from Enfield and allows some nice rides in Hertfordshire. Look
> at their WWW - http://www.finsburyparkcc.org/ - it gives details of times and meeting places.
>
> There are lots of other north London clubs. Just do a suitable Google Search.
>
> Rob

My club meets Sundays all year round, outside the Castle PH in Woodford at 9am. 60 miles this time
of year, average pace seeing as it's cold (17-20mph).

Mark

Gadget <[email protected]> wrote:
> PPS - If anyone wishes to sponser me that would be a great help too, as I have to raise £1250 and
> have only yet managed £2.
>
> Nick

Its good for a change to see a charity ride where the sponsorship all goes to the charity and the
riders are expected to pay for the trip costs themselves.
http://www.rometothedome.com/rules.asp?event_id=2

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.