Help!

wearethetide

Aug 10, 2009
So, I have just recently really become interested in cycling, and I have an old Raleigh that I bought off someone for $25 bucks, but after using it to the point of no return, it's starting to fall apart. Therefore, I need a new bike. I just recently found the frame to what I believe to be an old UO-8 Peugeot in my attic, and I'm considering rebuilding it. However, I have no idea where to even begin in this process and am looking for any advice on the topic.

Whatever you can offer in the form of information is wonderful.

Thanks!

wearethetide said:
So, I have just recently really become interested in cycling, and I have an old Raleigh that I bought off someone for $25 bucks, but after using it to the point of no return, it's starting to fall apart. Therefore, I need a new bike. I just recently found the frame to what I believe to be an old UO-8 Peugeot in my attic, and I'm considering rebuilding it. However, I have no idea where to even begin in this process and am looking for any advice on the topic.

Thanks!

To big gotchas for this frame is French threading of the BB and probably a non standard stem(20mm vs the more comon 22.2mm). If the stem is proper length and the BB/crank are OK, all the other stuff is fairly standard, even if it has 27 inch rather than 700c wheels. See a decent bike shop and ask.

I would have the frame thoroughly checked, make sure nil hairline cracks at all around all welds on the frame, especially with the age of the frame. Could present a serious danger once built...... I personally would scour the trading post, local papers, ebay and the like and get yourself measured for frame size, so that once you have the measurements that are for your size, you can narrow the possibilities. You will then have a better idea of the correct frame size, and then you can choose the one you like best and suits your budget...
This would be the track I would go down first up, as rebuilding a bike can be just as, if not more expensive than buying a used top of the range, or middle/lower end brand new bike!
SHAUN

wearethetide said:

Thanks!

For 1974-1979. Does this look familiar?

wearethetide said:
I just recently found the frame to what I believe to be an old UO-8 Peugeot in my attic, and I'm considering rebuilding it. However, I have no idea where to even begin in this process and am looking for any advice on the topic.
SHELDON BROWN's website has information on updating French bikes -- French Bicycles by Sheldon Brown.

Also: French_Bikes

You have to decide how much money you want to spend AND how much effort you want to undertake.

BTW. The headset bearings are probably loose ... NO cage ... so, the bike should be UPSIDE-DOWN if-and-when you plan on removing the fork.

Velo Orange has french thread cartridge bbs. It is easy to put in an English size quill stem; you just have to sand it down like it says on sheldonbrown.com, the site mentioned above.

HOWEVER, that stuff adds up. The UO-8 was an entry level bike.

I would spend a bit of money on it only if I liked it and only if tenspeeds are pricey in your area due to fixie conversion. You could probabaly easily score a working tenspeed for less than you'd spend on a rehab. That stuff can add up pretty quickly.

There is a big bonus to French bikes for those of us with shorter legs and long torsos and arms. They fit better. They typically have a longer top tube relative to their seat tube length than other makes.