Help

Virat

Guest
Hey all, I am 23 years old, 100kgs (220 lb), 5'8'' tall guy. I am obese and want to lose weight. I
have tried lots of diets including General Motor Diet, i lose a little weight but soon I put on
weight I had lost.

I live alone and eat out all my meals outside. I have only one microwave to cook or reheat food. I
am getting frustrated with all this problems. Also, I live in India so please do not suggest me,
things which I might not get here.

I am too desperate to lose my weight. Also, my weight is a threat for my health.

Please, tell me a way to get out of this mess.

Regards, Vir

[email protected] (Virat) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hey all, I am 23 years old, 100kgs (220 lb), 5'8'' tall guy. I am obese and want to lose weight. I
> have tried lots of diets including General Motor Diet, i lose a little weight but soon I put on
> weight I had lost.
>
> I live alone and eat out all my meals outside. I have only one microwave to cook or reheat food. I
> am getting frustrated with all this problems. Also, I live in India so please do not suggest me,
> things which I might not get here.
>

> I am too desperate to lose my weight. Also, my weight is a threat for my health.
>
> Please, tell me a way to get out of this mess.
>
> Regards, Vir

My first suggestion is to consult with your physician. He/she is best equipped to identify any
potential health issues and suggest a plan of action. If Weight Watchers is available, I highly
reccomend it. If not, see a nutritionist and, along with your doctor, put together a eating plan
that fits your needs and lifestyle.

Getting active is great too, as long as you start slow and keep your doctor informed of what you
are doing.

Good luck.

--
Started Weight Watchers together February 2002: Chris
332.4/184.6/185 Lifetime since 12/13/03 Pat

Hi Vir! Just wanted to welcome you aboard this great newsgroup. Like most people here, I follow
Weigh Watchers & love it. You might like to try it for a while. Wish you luck. Elaine K

On 11 Jan 2004 21:09:08 -0800, [email protected] (Virat) wrote:

>Hey all, I am 23 years old, 100kgs (220 lb), 5'8'' tall guy. I am obese and want to lose weight. I
>have tried lots of diets including General Motor Diet, i lose a little weight but soon I put on
>weight I had lost.
>
>I live alone and eat out all my meals outside. I have only one microwave to cook or reheat food. I
>am getting frustrated with all this problems. Also, I live in India so please do not suggest me,
>things which I might not get here.
>
>I am too desperate to lose my weight. Also, my weight is a threat for my health.
>
>Please, tell me a way to get out of this mess.

BMI is 33.5, obese and 95th percentile. http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm

target weight is 151 or thereabouts. http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

BMR = 2879 calories or thereabouts http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

weight loss is achieved by eating less and moving more. 'Diets' are just a way to achieve those
goals. If you like WW and it isn't available in India then you can get all the information via the
web, though it'll take some researching.

I would suggest a calorie restricted diet. Record everything you eat, and find out how many
calories is in each item. This could be very difficult 'cos when I was there there wasn't much in
the way of nutricianal info on the food I ate. In addition sites like fitday.com which help me,
don't have indian food. You would have to set up your own items. (someone may have already done
this so search the net).

The number of calories you eat each day is bmr - x. X is 500 to 1000 calories depending on whether
you want to lose 1lb a week or 2lbs a week. Losing 1 is a great idea. So you should be aiming foir
around 2300 calories per day.

You can earn extra calories by doing exercise. But only a little extra. Running for 30 minutes gives
you about 200 calories extra. You must do some exercise. It is all but obligatory. Almost noone who
who loses weight achieves it without changing their lifestyle to include some form of exercise.

This may all be too impractical depending on what facilities are available to you. It may be
that the best you can achieve is to cut down on portion size etc. Cutting out sweet food and
fried food where posible may be good, but again when I was in India almost everything was either
fried or sweet. It would help if you found out which foods had lots of calories and which are
lower in calories.

Finally when you have lost weight you must keep up the new way of eating and exercising or it will
all come back.

Good luck

Ray

--
rmnsuk overall - 273/207/182

Virat wrote:

> Hey all,

Hi there and welcome!

> I am 23 years old, 100kgs (220 lb), 5'8'' tall guy. I am obese and want to lose weight. I have
> tried lots of diets including General Motor Diet, i lose a little weight but soon I put on weight
> I had lost.

Don't get too down about this - it happens a lot, so you are not alone. We do understand.

> I live alone and eat out all my meals outside. I have only one microwave to cook or reheat food. I
> am getting frustrated with all this problems.

I can see that this will pose some problems for you!

> Also, I live in India so please do not suggest me, things which I might not get here.

No convenience foods or supermarkets... OK, I'll do my best!

> I am too desperate to lose my weight. Also, my weight is a threat for my health.

I had that problem too!

> Please, tell me a way to get out of this mess.

We'll try - but YOU must do the work! :)

> Regards, Vir

Here are some 'off the top of my head' ideas...

Make healthy choices: Salads and vegetables are good for filling up on - and don't need cooking!
Avoid fried foods or those dripping in oil and ghee - steamed and baked are better. Take a look at
WHERE you eat out or take home from: try to avoid stalls that fry everything! Avoid things with lots
of ground almonds in! I know - they are wonderful, but they are high point items! Coconut milk is
another high point item to avoid, except for the occasional feast. Choose chicken dishes rather than
lamb (or beef if you eat it), as it is lower fat. Have smaller portions, or take half home for a re-
heat for another day (do you have a fridge? Even a tiny one would help) Keep off the Indian puddings
and deserts! ESPECIALLY Kulfi and halvah! Have fresh fruit instead. Save the sweet stuff for special
celebrations. Exercise! Walk to work rather than bus or train, if safe and possible, and swim if you
can. Watch the vegetarian stuff! It's not ALWAYS lower in calories than meat dishes, but can be a
very good choice.

I know I live half a world away, but the UK does have quite a large Indian sub-continent population,
so we are very familiar with Indian dishes, and how rich they can be. (AND how delicious! And spicy
- yummy!) Somewhere I have an Indian cook book with microwave recipes in, so shout if this will
help. We can look at the basic recipes and see how they can be adapted to be lower in points.
English low point microwave recipes are also possible, if you are interested.

Best of luck - and we will do OUR best to help you, as you do YOUR best to help yourself! Starting
here is the best first step.

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

"Chris" <zysmith@@NOSPAMyahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...

Good advice from Chris.

Also you can start by cutting down on your portions - even if you eat out, and instead fill yourself
with fruits and vegetables. If you drink sodas, try the ones without sugar. And very importantly:
get physically active for 30-40 minutes a day where you build up a good sweat.