Help!

Wanted to thank everyone again. Went with a new OCR 3. It's entry level for sure, but has some nice features with a new rider in mind. Was around what we could afford, so didn't have to finance any of it or anything.
The compact frame sure makes it easy. Just forget worrying about stand over and focus on the length! I don't personally like the look of it, but that's just a cosmetic thing. No biggie. She road it on a trainer, and knew it was a lot better than the thing I pieced together. Now the saddle hunt begins. Maybe I'll luck out and the first one will work!! (snicker yeah, right!)

C-

Originally posted by ccorrick
Now the saddle hunt begins. Maybe I'll luck out and the first one will work!! (snicker yeah, right!)
C-

Hey a GOOD inexpensive saddle ( even with Ti rails!) is the Avocet woman's O2. it is really comfy! check the reviews on that one. and I found one for under 30 and that 's not bad...with TI rails. I think for entry level too it is nice. :) I know saddles are so personal! LOL
I bet you can't wait to go test it out!!!!

Originally posted by JuneBug
why??
I am so curious! does it just feel like you are scrunched? I swear I have that problem. I feel like my knees are in my chest.
it could be

the ...chest factor?? ... just kidding (hahaha I wish I had that problem!) but seriously explain what you mean. Maybe someone can give you advice on how to help that.

I got one of those cycle videos of Virginia in the fall. <sigh> very pretty. :cool: wow. you are so lucky. :)

Well, I feel guilty hogging this thread. I didn't see this posting earlier--traffic here was fast and furious.

Yes I feel scrunched, and the only way for me not to feel scrunched is to get over my stupid unconscious auto-tummy-tucking reflex (the thing that makes me do my best to always make sure my tummy is flat). So when I just relax and let my tummy hang, well, I'm fine. But I have to THINK about it--my tummy doesn't relax all by itself. I am all too well trained over the years (brainwashed, more like it). And oddly, I like my somewhat rotund little tummy. It's almost as cute as my butt.

At-home breathing exercises help because you can't do deep breaths holding your tummy in....

Oh, in a couple of weeks when I get my shimano spd-r pedals, I'm having my fitter drop my handlebars (by moving the spacer above them). We'll see how that works. I just can't stand feeling like I'm just a big kite out there--just what I avoided getting a hybrid for...

Originally posted by brightgarden
Yes I feel scrunched, and the only way for me not to feel scrunched is to get over my stupid unconscious auto-tummy-tucking reflex (the thing that makes me do my best to always make sure my tummy is flat). So when I just relax and let my tummy hang, well, I'm fine. But I have to THINK about it

I am going outside for the first time NOW to bike before heading off to work. But I tell you I been training with my head down , eyes closed, for a couple months now inside on the trainer. I know its going to hurt my neck muscles when I find myself having to look UP and down the road. I am not going to expect much today. just get it over with . LOL.
I just read that it takes a couple weeks to train up your body to go aero. I been trying to discipline myself to go into my tuck when I am training indoors. I hope it helps. I feel scrunched all the time and just use my core muscles to overcome it.

I think pilates and leg raises helps a lot. You know if you got access to a REAL ROMAN CHAIR. where you can hook your legs under, support your bum, and go back when you do abs. Its scary the first time but get someone to spot you. it gets your whole core in shape fast. even the hip flexors.

I got a pudgy tummy too. ... . Hmmm. must be a beer belly. well fortunately its not skin suit weather. LOL
CARB UP!!!!

hehe. mine is a beer belly.

my boyfriend is a beer buyer, which has both its benefits and its disadvantages. luckily, he specializes in belgian ales (oooohh so yummy!).

but seriously, i'm of the opinion that women naturally have round tummies and that it's actually quite beautiful. it's the clothing that makes it look terrible. the low hiplines on the latest pants help a lot because showing midriff (letting it more or less be) is so much better than tucking it away where you get self-conscious about it bulging out under the belt.

now if i could just deprogram myself...

Mine is from chocolate. :( Is there hope? I had a concave stomach till my mid-20's. Man I miss that!

Originally posted by diane143
Mine is from chocolate. :( Is there hope? I had a concave stomach till my mid-20's. Man I miss that!

mine is my incredibly large chest. HA! just kidding !@ heee.

beer. and message boards. and winter.

actually I am in denial about my pudgy tummy. I just realized an easy way to lose 3 inches immediately.... just by slather on self tanning lotions.!!
I just need a good tan. yeah that is it!
I think I need to join an 'abs anonymous' class. I confess!
ITs been three weeks since my last sit up.
;)

Wanted to thank everyone again. Went with a new OCR 3. It's entry level for sure, but has some nice features with a new rider in mind. Was around what we could afford, so didn't have to finance any of it or anything.
The compact frame sure makes it easy. Just forget worrying about stand over and focus on the length! I don't personally like the look of it, but that's just a cosmetic thing. No biggie. She road it on a trainer, and knew it was a lot better than the thing I pieced together. Now the saddle hunt begins. Maybe I'll luck out and the first one will work!! (snicker yeah, right!)

C-

Hello again girls,

Well, now my wife is hooked. She's been hitting the road almost every day, and when it's raining she's asked me to put the bike on the trainer!! I'm kinda amazed to tell you the truth. She's experienced no saddle trouble at all, and doesn't have any complaints about the "adjustment" period. (Sheesh, my butt hurt so bad when I started I couldn't move!!) Anyway, she's doing great.

Next problem has risen!! Where the heck can I find her clothes? Are there any women's brands that run extremely small? She's 5'2" and about 100 lbs. I ordered her some performance shorts and a jersey in small but they are a bit to big. She can wear them, but it doesn't fit right. I have a pair of women Pearl shorts on the way, but I don't know if they will be small enough either?

Is there a brand out there that has xs or just runs smaller than the norm?

Thanks!
Christopher

Where are you? Can you not stop by the local Hudson Trail Outfitters, EMS or REI to try on shorts?

My housemate also wears astonishingly small shorts (all xs except for her winter tights--which she gleaned from me). We found them shopping around at those places mentioned above. Canari has XS that are small. and I think you'll be ok with the Pearl Izumi also...

Performance bike shop brand isn't exactly the best fitting thing for me or anyone I know.

As far as jerseys go, good luck! I personally get most of mine at REI. The two I got at performance are just OK, and don't fit in the places I want them to fit. I also bike in bra-tank tops or tri-ath tops in the summer because they fit better AND have pockets.

Thanks Bright!

We have Sun and Ski and an REI here. I'll go check that out.

Glad to hear it about the Performance stuff. Thought it would be good for a starter type outfit, but it's just not quite up to par.
Guess you get what you pay for.

Hello again girls,

Well, now my wife is hooked.

she is going to get faster than you ;) haha!!!

go to estrogen.com. lots of choices.
I love SHE BEAST for STYLE and Sugoi too. lots of nice choices. I wear a medium.
SHe beeest has nice knickers for the spring.

((knees~ knees till 65 degrees))

I am about that size.... ok she is smaller!, lol. I"m 118' and 5'3''.
I wear a XS in mens pearl izumi bibs ( mens bibs) she might like bibs.
If she wants good value and shorts that are SHORTER...maybe Giordano is a good way to go. I have had some for a few years. shorter and small. I wear a medium so she might be into a small with Giordano.
I have some junior jerseys that have the cutest designs on them. they fit me fine. (junior large) and are a bit tighter and smaller than the men's.
Definitly look at Giordano women's short /no sleeve jerseys. and She Beest. good style, made for women. she will love the way they fit and look on her. !~

here are some links to online stores.

sorry its not estrogen but TEAMestrogen. doH!

http://www.teamestrogen.com/brands.asp?brandID=7&track=googleAdWords_shebeest2

also try www.longcycle.com for some interesting deals . I got some junior jerseys from this site last christmas.
www.piermontbike.com

well. you sometimes find best deals in the LBS or places like REI. true! I wish I could get some of the goods from Cannibal.aus. they dont deliver to america. I just want shorts that say 'cannibal' on them!!
!