help!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jamie G, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Jamie G

    Jamie G Guest

    I've just had a new bike delivered :eek:) However I am loath to take it out as
    the Council just dumped a few tons of salt all over the roads last night, so
    it's sitting in the living room all nice and shiny like :eek:(
     
    Tags:


  2. >I've just had a new bike delivered :eek:) However I am loath to take it out as
    >the Council just dumped a few tons of salt all over the roads last night, so
    >it's sitting in the living room all nice and shiny like :eek:(

    Oh go on then... tell us all about the bike. Make, model???

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get correct one remove dependency on fame &
    fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**[email protected]$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$
     
  3. Jamie G

    Jamie G Guest

  4. On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:03:07 -0000, jamie g <""> wrote:

    > One of these http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=16383

    Unfortunately because of the way Edinburgh Bikes use cookies that link won't work for most people.

    (Go to base address, select online shop and then paste /detail.cfm?ID=16383 on the end of the url)

    The bike is an Edinburgh Courier '03

    Colin
    --
     
  5. On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:38:39 -0000, jamie g <""> wrote:

    >
    >

    Jamie,

    you appear to be putting the whole of your post below a correctly formed sig. This means for me, and
    probably others, quoting what you say isn't straighforward---my newsreader trims sigs when quoting
    hence the above two blank lines. Is there any chance you can get your newsreader to put the sig at
    the bottom instead of the top?

    Colin
    --
     
  6. Jamie G

    Jamie G Guest

    "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message:
    > you appear to be putting the whole of your post below a correctly formed sig. This means for me,
    > and probably others, quoting what you say isn't straighforward---my newsreader trims sigs when
    > quoting hence the above two blank lines. Is there any chance you can get your newsreader to put
    > the sig at the bottom instead of the top?

    sorry I was just playing with the sig on a test ng, thought I had got rid of
    it.
     
  7. Davep

    Davep Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:03:07 -0000, jamie g <""> wrote:
    >
    > > One of these http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=16383
    >
    > Unfortunately because of the way Edinburgh Bikes use cookies that link won't work for most people.
    >
    > (Go to base address, select online shop and then paste /detail.cfm?ID=16383 on the end of the url)
    >
    > The bike is an Edinburgh Courier '03
    >
    > Colin
    > --

    Also worth considering... a Scott USA Street G 2 2003. It has a 7 geared hub and mudguards. No more
    cassette and jockey wheel cleaning. A friend managed to get one for 319pds.

    davep
     
  8. On 2004-02-26, jamie g <> wrote:
    >
    > sorry I was just playing with the sig on a test ng, thought I had got rid of
    > it.
    >

    It took me a couple of reads to spot your posts, as my newsreader was making everything below
    your sig separator a dull red on black. Looks like the brute force method if fixing - no
    signature at all now.

    As for the original question - we've greased all exposed screwthreads and metal bits that can take
    it (some bits of brakes are a bad idea). We keep the chains cleaned and oiled, and drop oil into the
    ends of hubs.

    Bits where aluminium meets steel really need it, for example disk brake screws into aluminium hubs.
    We also drop oil into the moving parts on derailliurs an even the set screws on them.
    Caliper/V/whatever brakes can have their pivots oiled. Cables can be lubricated, but beware not to
    get into gear controls which rely on friction. Our modern ones use an escapement mechanism, but
    we've not had to relubricate them as yet.

    All our bikes get a strip down, clean up and relube once a year. The technique seems to be working
    well so far. Come summer, and nicer weather and roads, we'll have to clean all the mucky grease off.
    It should be a lot easier with the new ones, as we have SRAM chains with those easy to take to bits
    links in, so no longer fiddling with the chain tool.

    My older hybrid got the same treatment, and now has enough grease on it, that its pretty inpenerable
    to salty water. Some of the parts look muckier too, but its not rusting. When I first bought it,
    part of the front deraliur mechanism started rusting, but since cleaning and greasing, thats not
    been a problem since.

    - Richard

    --
    _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ Time is a
    one way street, _/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ Except in the Twilight Zone.
     
  9. AndyMorris

    AndyMorris Guest

    jamie g" <" wrote:
    > I've just had a new bike delivered :eek:) However I am loath to take it out as the Council just
    > dumped a few tons of salt all over the roads last night, so it's sitting in the living room all
    > nice and shiny like :eek:(

    Thats why you need a winter bike as well.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:
    Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
     
Loading...