Helping a fellow cyclist?

gruppo

Aug 14, 2004
This scenario has played out before and I am wondering how you would handle it or how you would feel if you were in the other guys shows.

Today, I was in the middle of ride taking a break under a shade tree when another cyclist approaches. He is on a nice looking LeMonds and dressed in as a cyclist.

The problem is that his bike does not fit him. In fact, it isn't even close to a good fit. He is cramped and scrunched down on the bike with virtually no leg extension. At the very least, his saddle should probably be raised at least 5-6 inches. He is definitely struggling, probably from the combination of heat and poor bike fit.

As he approaches, he stops to take a break with me. We exchange pleasantries and talk about the heat. I'm tempted to ask if he knows how poorly his bike fits and how much extra work it is causing him, or if he made a conscious choice to ride in that position. I resist and continue with some smalltalk.

Now I feel like I'm in no-mans land. He didn't ask for my advice and may not appreciate hearing it. On the other hand, isn't it the right thing to do to help a fellow cyclist who is apparently struggling.

Would you tell the guy there is a better way? If so, how would you start that conversation?

hmm...

I'd probably just directly bring it up like, 'Hey man, your seat is really low, do you usually ride like that?'

Check first to see if the sales labels are still attached to the gear, maybe he is on the way home from buying the bike and all the gear... ask where he bought it, this could indicate a shop with poor service, a good conversation starter...

JTEK said:
hmm...

I'd probably just directly bring it up like, 'Hey man, your seat is really low, do you usually ride like that?'

Agreed.
It is crucial that a person cycling a bike ensure that the bike fits as well as possible.
You can have the most expensive bike and the most up to date stuff but if you're setup is wrong, you'll be bolloxed at the end of a ride.

The best way is to try to introduce it subtlely like "Hey I couldn't help but notice your position as I saw you approaching/as I caught up with you/as I
saw you pass by......did you ever considerraising your saddle/lifting those bars" etc.
The cyclist him/her self isn't probably aware that their position is bad.
And I amsure he/she would welcome advice.

Although before trying this - I presume that you can give him/her the correct advise ?
No point in giving advice if you haven't got a clue about the correct positions
etc.

limerickman said:
...The best way is to try to introduce it subtlely like "Hey I couldn't help but notice your position as I saw you approaching/as I caught up with you/as I saw you pass by......did you ever considerraising your saddle/lifting those bars" etc....

I like that approach.

limerickman said:
...Although before trying this - I presume that you can give him/her the correct advise ?...

Well, I could, but I would not expect to do a fitting there on the side of the road. I would just be to alert him to the problem and suggest he seek advice from a qualified bike shop.

In this guys case, if I raised his seat several inches, it would probably feel so weird that he would just put it back the way it was when I was out of sight and never get real help.

gruppo said:
I like that approach.

Well, I could, but I would not expect to do a fitting there on the side of the road. I would just be to alert him to the problem and suggest he seek advice from a qualified bike shop.

In this guys case, if I raised his seat several inches, it would probably feel so weird that he would just put it back the way it was when I was out of sight and never get real help.

I think you might be surprised.
I bought another bike recently and my position just wasn't right (and I'm an old hand these days).
I tried everything - adjusting saddle height, changing bar height.
I tried everything and my cycling buddy spotted the problem
My saddle was flat - normally I have it adjusted upward slightly.
Do you think I could spot it ?!?!?!?!?!

So any advise I am sure would be welcome to a person who might look uncomfortable.

It would be difficult, but I would keep my gob shut until the other person brought the subject up.

As a new cyclist i'd definitely appreciate any tips that somebody else would give me. Hope i never reach the level where i'm offended by friendly advice.

Tough call.

We've talked about this one quite a bit of the fly fishing boards. I would have brought it up, but that's just my personality. I also went through the experience of buying a bike that was too large for me (for several reasons).

The FF'ing thing is a little different because so many of those guys/girls are out there for the solitude that FF'ing brings. Many guys WANT to be left alone. If a newby is looking for some advice, they will generally ask.

I see cycling as a bit different. Unless you are made out of money, a bike is a fairly significant investment. I learned the hard way that bike fit is fairly important. When you combine these two things I just couldn't keep my mouth closed. It could have been his buddies bike and no big deal or someone could have preyed on a new cyclist just to make a sale. With some tact, the subject could easily been broached. Maybe ask the guy how long he had been biking. Then ask if he liked his bike. Where did he get it ? Did they size him up for it? With this approach, I don't think the guy would have been offended.

I had very little clue as to bike sizing when I bought mine a few months back. I picked up my ride at REI's memorial day bike sale. The folks were friendly enough, but they were pretty busy. I had to make a snap decision and my 10 min test ride didn't really clue me in. I'm 5'7" and they sold me a 56cm. I do take some responsibility as I didn't do my homework before had. Truthfully we went in to buy my wife a Full suspension bike and I got a road bike out of the deal. Anyway, I started to get clued in to my mistake watching the tour. I noticed that all of the guys rode with their seats WAY higher than mine. I did a google search and found my answer. D'oH! I had ridden my bike for just about 2 months and called REI customer service. They said they would exchange me for a 52cm, now I'm much happier. In the end they took care of me, but could have saved themselves the hassle had they worked with me upfront.

I guess what I trying to say is that the guy most likely didn't even know about proper bike fit. He'll most likely find out sometimes, hopefully it won't be too late that he's given up the sport....