Helping dogs with fears...

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by OmManiPadmeOmelet, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. Chelsea is terrified of the vacuum cleaner.

    We have all linoleum floors so sweep daily, and once per week go after
    the whole house with the shop vac prior to mopping. This gets cobwebs
    and everything out of every nook and cranny.

    Every time the housemate runs the shop vac, Chelsea literally leaps into
    my arms, hugs against me tightly and trembles while breathing heavily.

    I just cuddle her in my lap and hold her until the vac is shut off, and
    try to reassure her that the big bad noise isn't going to harm her.

    Every time I turn around, I'm having to deal with something new with
    dogs! Some of the others are a bit upset by thunder, but letting them in
    the house calms them down. They don't need to be outdoors in a lightning
    storm anyway. ;-)

    Is there anything else I can/should do?

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  2. TBR

    TBR Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:11:37 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is there anything else I can/should do?

    Cook thouroughly before eating.

  3. David

    David Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Chelsea is terrified of the vacuum cleaner.
    >
    > We have all linoleum floors so sweep daily, and once per week go after
    > the whole house with the shop vac prior to mopping. This gets cobwebs
    > and everything out of every nook and cranny.
    >
    > Every time the housemate runs the shop vac, Chelsea literally leaps into
    > my arms, hugs against me tightly and trembles while breathing heavily.
    >
    > I just cuddle her in my lap and hold her until the vac is shut off, and
    > try to reassure her that the big bad noise isn't going to harm her.
    >
    > Every time I turn around, I'm having to deal with something new with
    > dogs! Some of the others are a bit upset by thunder, but letting them in
    > the house calms them down. They don't need to be outdoors in a lightning
    > storm anyway. ;-)
    >
    > Is there anything else I can/should do?

    Not sure about that Om. But just wanted to share with you . . . . I took my
    dog to the vet the other day - he had something in his eye. So the vet
    picked up the dog and held him up to the light so he could see what was in
    his eye. Then after a couple of minutes he said very solemnly 'I have to put
    your dog down now'. So I was alarmed of course - I said "just because of
    something in his eye??' - he said 'No, he is getting a little heavy'

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    "David" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Chelsea is terrified of the vacuum cleaner.
    > >
    > > We have all linoleum floors so sweep daily, and once per week go after
    > > the whole house with the shop vac prior to mopping. This gets cobwebs
    > > and everything out of every nook and cranny.
    > >
    > > Every time the housemate runs the shop vac, Chelsea literally leaps into
    > > my arms, hugs against me tightly and trembles while breathing heavily.
    > >
    > > I just cuddle her in my lap and hold her until the vac is shut off, and
    > > try to reassure her that the big bad noise isn't going to harm her.
    > >
    > > Every time I turn around, I'm having to deal with something new with
    > > dogs! Some of the others are a bit upset by thunder, but letting them in
    > > the house calms them down. They don't need to be outdoors in a lightning
    > > storm anyway. ;-)
    > >
    > > Is there anything else I can/should do?

    > Not sure about that Om. But just wanted to share with you . . . . I took my
    > dog to the vet the other day - he had something in his eye. So the vet
    > picked up the dog and held him up to the light so he could see what was in
    > his eye. Then after a couple of minutes he said very solemnly 'I have to put
    > your dog down now'. So I was alarmed of course - I said "just because of
    > something in his eye??' - he said 'No, he is getting a little heavy'

    Sounds like your vet needs to be smacked. ;-)
    --
    Om.

  5. mct546

    mct546 Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > Chelsea is terrified of the vacuum cleaner.
    > Every time I turn around, I'm having to deal with something new with
    > dogs! Some of the others are a bit upset by thunder, but letting them in
    > the house calms them down. They don't need to be outdoors in a lightning
    > storm anyway. ;-)
    >
    > Is there anything else I can/should do?

    I heard the vets can get you nerve medication for your dog now. I'm
    thinking about picking some up for my lab, who freaks out when the
    thunder claps...

    mct

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    "mct546" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > Chelsea is terrified of the vacuum cleaner.
    > > Every time I turn around, I'm having to deal with something new with
    > > dogs! Some of the others are a bit upset by thunder, but letting them in
    > > the house calms them down. They don't need to be outdoors in a lightning
    > > storm anyway. ;-)
    > >
    > > Is there anything else I can/should do?

    > I heard the vets can get you nerve medication for your dog now. I'm
    > thinking about picking some up for my lab, who freaks out when the
    > thunder claps...
    >

    > mct

    I'm not so sure I want to drug her...
    That would be a last resort.

    For the time being, I can just put her outside in the yard when we
    vacuum... That way she won't really hear it as much thru the wall
    insulation.
    --
    Om.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    "mct546" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > Chelsea is terrified of the vacuum cleaner.
    > > Every time I turn around, I'm having to deal with something new with
    > > dogs! Some of the others are a bit upset by thunder, but letting them in
    > > the house calms them down. They don't need to be outdoors in a lightning
    > > storm anyway. ;-)
    > >
    > > Is there anything else I can/should do?

    > I heard the vets can get you nerve medication for your dog now. I'm
    > thinking about picking some up for my lab, who freaks out when the
    > thunder claps...
    >

    > mct

    I decided at this point it might be a good idea to do some googling.

    Duh. ;-)

    According to this website, I'm doing the wrong thing:

    http://www.perfectpaws.com/noise.html

    Google showed up several more hits using the search:

    "dogs with fear of noises"

    Hope this helps with your lab!
    I'm off to do more reading.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  8. TBR

    TBR Guest

    That's the oldest joke in the book.

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:06:52 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > "David" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Chelsea is terrified of the vacuum cleaner.
    >> >
    >> > We have all linoleum floors so sweep daily, and once per week go after
    >> > the whole house with the shop vac prior to mopping. This gets cobwebs
    >> > and everything out of every nook and cranny.
    >> >
    >> > Every time the housemate runs the shop vac, Chelsea literally leaps into
    >> > my arms, hugs against me tightly and trembles while breathing heavily.
    >> >
    >> > I just cuddle her in my lap and hold her until the vac is shut off, and
    >> > try to reassure her that the big bad noise isn't going to harm her.
    >> >
    >> > Every time I turn around, I'm having to deal with something new with
    >> > dogs! Some of the others are a bit upset by thunder, but letting them in
    >> > the house calms them down. They don't need to be outdoors in a lightning
    >> > storm anyway. ;-)
    >> >
    >> > Is there anything else I can/should do?

    >> Not sure about that Om. But just wanted to share with you . . . . I took my
    >> dog to the vet the other day - he had something in his eye. So the vet
    >> picked up the dog and held him up to the light so he could see what was in
    >> his eye. Then after a couple of minutes he said very solemnly 'I have to put
    >> your dog down now'. So I was alarmed of course - I said "just because of
    >> something in his eye??' - he said 'No, he is getting a little heavy'
    >>

    >Sounds like your vet needs to be smacked. ;-)

  9. TBR

    TBR Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:39:11 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm not so sure I want to drug her...
    >That would be a last resort.

    I'd hope so, because only an idiot would sedate a dog because of a
    thunderstorm. That's like cutting off your leg for a hangnail.

  10. David

    David Guest

    Om hasn't heard it. He emailed me privately he never laughted that hard in
    his whole life

    "TBR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > That's the oldest joke in the book.
    >
    > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:06:52 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "David" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

    >>> Not sure about that Om. But just wanted to share with you . . . . I took
    >>> my
    >>> dog to the vet the other day - he had something in his eye. So the vet
    >>> picked up the dog and held him up to the light so he could see what was
    >>> in
    >>> his eye. Then after a couple of minutes he said very solemnly 'I have to
    >>> put
    >>> your dog down now'. So I was alarmed of course - I said "just because of
    >>> something in his eye??' - he said 'No, he is getting a little heavy'
    >>>

    >>Sounds like your vet needs to be smacked. ;-)

  11. TBR

    TBR Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 07:43:58 +1000, "David" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Om hasn't heard it.

    I didn't say he had.

    >He emailed me privately he never laughted that hard in
    >his whole life

    Some people are easily amused, and haven't "got out a lot" to hear
    such funny jokes.

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "David" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Om hasn't heard it. He emailed me privately he never laughted that hard in
    > his whole life

    True dat...

    ;-D

    Cheers mate!
    --
    Om.

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    TBR <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 07:43:58 +1000, "David" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Om hasn't heard it.

    > I didn't say he had.
    >

    > >He emailed me privately he never laughted that hard in
    > >his whole life

    > Some people are easily amused, and haven't "got out a lot" to hear
    > such funny jokes.

    But we _know_ what stuff you find funny Bill.
    Your humor is skewed all one way...
    --
    Om.

  14. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > Chelsea is terrified of the vacuum cleaner.

    I vacuum Yogi. It's the best way to get the fine little hairs in his
    vast coat. Actually he is more like the nucleus and the hairs sort of
    orbit around him like a cloud in increasing density as you approach him.
    I was thinking that a shop vac might be the way to dry him off after a
    bath.

    Stephen N.

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    Stephen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > Chelsea is terrified of the vacuum cleaner.

    > I vacuum Yogi. It's the best way to get the fine little hairs in his
    > vast coat. Actually he is more like the nucleus and the hairs sort of
    > orbit around him like a cloud in increasing density as you approach him.
    > I was thinking that a shop vac might be the way to dry him off after a
    > bath.
    >
    > Stephen N.

    Hey, if he tolerates it... ;-)

    A shop vac tho' really is MUCH louder than other vacs.
    I'd check to see if his ears can tolerate it.

    Keep in mind please that dog's ears are a LOT more sensitive
    than ours.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  16. David

    David Guest

  17. TBR

    TBR Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:20:48 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >But we _know_ what stuff you find funny Bill.
    >Your humor is skewed all one way...

    No, indeed you don't know.

  18. TBR

    TBR Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 03:31:08 GMT, Stephen <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I was thinking that a shop vac might be the way to dry him off after a
    >bath.

    Nope, just throw him in the dryer for 20 minutes. Just be sure to ad a
    dryer cling-free sheet, or he'll be stuck to the side of the dryer
    when you open it.

  19. TBR

    TBR Guest

    Man, you were a lot funnier when you were a troll.

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:24:41 +1000, "David" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "David" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Om hasn't heard it. He emailed me privately he never laughted that hard
    >>> in
    >>> his whole life
    >>>

    >> True dat...
    >>
    >> ;-D
    >>
    >> Cheers mate!

    >Cheers Om - ha ha!

  20. In article <[email protected]>,
    TBR <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:20:48 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >But we _know_ what stuff you find funny Bill.
    > >Your humor is skewed all one way...

    > No, indeed you don't know.

    Enough to killfile the majority of your posts......

    <yawn> You have gotten to be so predictable, you are not worth reading
    anymore. I'm only answering because _I_ started this particular thread.

    Your participation was NOT appreciated.
    --
    Om.