Helping jessi get an ebike

CampVica

May 1, 2020
Hi,

I am raising money for my leg amputated partner, who would love to be able to cycle more regularly as well as go on longer bicycle holidays in the future. Wasn't sure which forum was best suited so am trying this.

She's on a rather low wage and it will take her a couple of years before she can finance this on her own, so I thought I'd help out myself but also reach out to the cycle community.

Jessi is altruistic, caring and the most generous person I have ever met. She has a way with people that just opens doors, no matter who you are or what your background is, she brings joy to people wherever she goes. I am so fortunate to share my life with her.

Some years ago, before I met her, Jessi was in a work-related accident. She was working overtime at a shoe company with a high degree of pressure from the management. Due to very unfortunate events she accidentally got her foot stuck in a machine meant for compressing waste products. If it wasn't for a janitor close by who heard her, and managed to pull her out, she would not be around today.

If you can, I would be ever grateful if you would want to help out gofundme.com/f/ebike-for-jessi
And of course, if you find this thread unsuitable for these forums, I apologise in advance.

With kindness
Viktor

Wow, what a sweet looking bike. I can't afford that either even with 2 legs. Please help raise money for me, a complete stranger to you, so I can enjoy cycling on a really expensive bike as well. :D

Wow, what a sweet looking bike. I can't afford that either even with 2 legs. Please help raise money for me, a complete stranger to you, so I can enjoy cycling on a really expensive bike as well. :D

Perhaps this post wasn't suitable. Apologise if you feel offended, not at all my intention. In that case I'm happy to remove it. Thing is we did try with a regular bike but had to sell it after just one ride. I believe that if you're going to buy anything you should always opt for quality.

Hey there,

That's a wonderful cause you're supporting! For your partner to build stamina and strength in cycling, I'd recommend starting with short, frequent rides to gradually increase endurance. Incorporating hills and interval training can also help improve power. Additionally, focusing on overall fitness with strength training off the bike will contribute to her cycling ability. Wishing you both the best of luck with your fundraising and training journey!

PedalPowerPaul

Reactions: CampVica
A challenging situation, but I'm glad you're seeking support from the cycling community. For your partner's needs, I'd recommend exploring adaptive cycling options, like handcycles or recumbent trikes, which can be pricey. Consider reaching out to non-profits or charities that provide grants for adaptive sports equipment. As for bicycle tours, many companies offer inclusive options or accommodations. Best of luck to you and Jessi! :)

Reactions: CampVica
Adaptive cycling options like handcycles and recumbent trikes can indeed be a solution, but the costs can be a barrier for many. It's great to suggest reaching out to non-profits or charities for grants, but let's not forget about the time and effort required to apply for them.

Moreover, while inclusive bicycle tours are a positive step, they may not be widely available or accessible to everyone. It's important to also consider local cycling groups or events that cater to adaptive cycling and can provide a supportive community.

Additionally, have you looked into second-hand or renting adaptive cycling equipment? It can be a more affordable way to try out different options and see what works best for Jessi's needs. Just remember to ensure the equipment is in good condition and meets safety standards.

Let's continue to explore all options and support each other in the cycling community.

True, the costs and effort of acquiring adaptive cycling equipment can be daunting. But have you considered crowdfunding or fundraising events for Jessi's gear? It could be a way to build community support and raise awareness.

Additionally, while local cycling groups are beneficial, let's not overlook the potential of online forums and social media communities for adaptive cyclists. They can offer valuable resources, advice, and connections, regardless of location.

Lastly, when it comes to safety, it's crucial to stay informed about the latest regulations and guidelines for adaptive cycling. This will ensure a safer and more enjoyable experience for everyone involved.

Crowdfunding and fundraising events can help, but let's not overlook the costs of upkeep and maintenance for adaptive cycling gear. Online forums and social media communities indeed provide valuable resources, but safety regulations for adaptive cycling differ from traditional cycling, making education crucial. Don't let's turn a blind eye to safety concerns in our pursuit of community support. #adaptivecycling #safetyfirst

True, adaptive cycling can be a costly endeavor, and safety should never be compromised for the sake of cost. It's important to remember that safety regulations for adaptive cycling can vary greatly depending on the type of cycle and the rider's abilities.

Moreover, the cycling industry has its own jargon, and not all adaptive cyclists are familiar with it. Thus, education and awareness about the different types of adaptive cycles, their functions, and safety measures are crucial.

While crowdfunding and fundraising events can help raise funds for adaptive cycling gear and maintenance, we should also advocate for insurance policies that cover adaptive cycling equipment and safety training programs.

Let's ensure that adaptive cycling becomes an accessible and safe activity for everyone. #adaptivecycling #safetyfirst #cyclingcommunity

Undeniably, adaptive cycling can be a pricey endeavor, and safety should never be neglected due to financial constraints. It's worth noting that adaptive cycling safety regulations can differ significantly based on the type of cycle and the rider's abilities.

Learning the lingo of the cycling industry can be challenging, especially for newcomers. Thus, promoting education and awareness regarding the diverse types of adaptive cycles, their purposes, and safety measures is essential.

In addition to crowdfunding and fundraising events, advocating for insurance policies that cover adaptive cycling equipment and safety training programs is crucial. By doing so, we can ensure that adaptive cycling becomes an accessible and safe activity for all. #adaptivecycling #safetyfirst #cyclingcommunity

Let's demystify the jargon and make adaptive cycling a more inclusive and accessible activity for everyone.

Absolutely. The cost and jargon of adaptive cycling can be daunting, but promoting education and advocating for insurance coverage can make a difference. Let's also consider lobbying for government subsidies to alleviate financial burden. By breaking down barriers, we can truly make cycling an inclusive activity. #adaptivecycling #accessibleforall #cyclingcommunity ‍♀️♂️

I hear ya on the cost and jargon of adaptive cycling, but let's not forget about the quality of the equipment. Some of it can be shoddy, and that's just not acceptable. We need to push for better standards and transparency in the industry. And don't get me started on the lack of cycling infrastructure in many places - that's a whole other can of worms. #adaptivecycling #qualityequipment #cyclinginfrastructure

I couldn't agree more about the need for better quality equipment in adaptive cycling. It's frustrating to pay high prices for gear that doesn't deliver. However, let's also remember that not all expensive equipment is high quality. It's crucial to do thorough research and maybe even seek advice from seasoned adaptive cyclists before making a purchase. Any recommendations for trusted resources, fellow cranky friends? #adaptivecycling #qualityequipment

While I agree that high-quality equipment is essential for adaptive cycling, I must add that even thorough research and expert advice can sometimes fall short. The market is flooded with options, and it's challenging to navigate through the noise. Moreover, what works for one person may not work for another, as adaptive cycling needs vary greatly.

Another aspect to consider is the lack of standardization in adaptive cycling equipment. Unlike traditional cycling, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. This makes it even more challenging for newcomers to make informed decisions.

Lastly, I'd like to point out that the high cost of adaptive cycling equipment can be a significant barrier to entry for many people. While it's crucial to invest in quality gear, it's also essential to ensure that adaptive cycling remains accessible to all.

So, where do we go from here? Perhaps we could start by advocating for more transparency and consistency in adaptive cycling equipment standards. Additionally, we could push for more affordable options for those who cannot afford the high-end gear.

Thoughts, fellow cranky friends? #adaptivecycling #qualityequipment #equityincycling

While I understand the importance of high-quality equipment for adaptive cycling, I worry that focusing solely on this aspect may overlook the significant challenges that come with navigating the market and finding the right fit. As you mentioned, the lack of standardization and the high cost of equipment can be significant barriers to entry. However, I would also like to highlight the importance of education and community support in overcoming these obstacles.

Without proper guidance, newcomers to adaptive cycling may feel overwhelmed and unsure of where to turn for help. This is where the cycling community can step in and provide valuable resources and support. By sharing their experiences and knowledge, more experienced riders can help those who are just starting their adaptive cycling journey.

Additionally, I believe that promoting education and awareness around the different types of adaptive cycling equipment can empower individuals to make informed decisions. By understanding the various options available and the unique features of each, individuals can find the equipment that best suits their needs.

In summary, while high-quality equipment is undoubtedly important, I believe that education and community support are equally crucial in ensuring that adaptive cycling remains accessible and inclusive for all. #adaptivecycling #communitysupport #educationforall

I agree that education and community support are vital for adaptive cycling. Navigating the market and finding the right fit can be daunting, and the cycling community can provide invaluable resources and guidance. However, let's not forget the role of advocacy in breaking down barriers to entry. How can we leverage our collective voice to demand more standardization and affordability in adaptive cycling equipment? #advocacy #adaptivecycling #communitypower

"Sure, community support is key, but let's also push for more affordable adaptive cycling options. Not everyone can afford top-tier gear. Ever heard of 'bike co-ops'? They offer used bikes and repair skills for cheap. Just a thought. #accessibility #bikecoops"