Hematocrit Test?

Chazzz801

May 15, 2009
I typed in a search on this website for "Hematocrit", and it seems quite a few of you have had tests done to determine your hematocrit.

My question is, where can you go to get this test done, and how much does it cost?

I ask because I'm thinking about the possibility of purchasing an altitude tent, but obviously if my hematocrit is say 49-50%, then there's no point......am I right?

Thanks.

im not sure on this one, but a complete-blood-count exam should contain the hematocrit %,
bare in mind that the altitude tent could be useful but the effect is only temporary, i think that a well planned taper-off would give you a more radical advantage over other cyclists if you target one or two specific events during the year.

Originally Posted by vspa .

im not sure on this one, but a complete-blood-count exam should contain the hematocrit %,
bare in mind that the altitude tent could be useful but the effect is only temporary, i think that a well planned taper-off would give you a more radical advantage over other cyclists if you target one or two specific events during the year.
How, and where do you go to get a complete blood exam? Is it just a case of going to your Doctor and asking for one, or do you need to go through someone else?

Also, you say the effect of an altitude tent is only temporary.....this is not how i understand it at all. If you use an altitude tent, and your Hematocrit increases, surely that increase can be maintained through regular use of the altitude tent?

Thanks for the reply vspa

It all depends on where you live.

If you're in the US and have medical insurance then yeah, hop off to the docs and request a full blood panel. If there's areas of interest that you may think you're lacking in, such as iron/ferritin then ask for those two as they'll be tacked on and done at no extra charge.

If you're off in another country, or in the US without medical insurance, then it might be a whole 'nother kettle of fish. If I'd asked for that back in England I'm sure my doc would politely tell me to go away...

If you do go in for a blood panel remember that being dehydrated will effect test results, so don't plan on doing a hard long five hour ride in the sun the day before if all you take with you is two little bottles.

yes you should go to a physician and tell him that you need to know your hematocrit levels, he will make you the exam prescription order, then you go to the laboratory for the exam, results are giving in about 24 hours, fasting is not require for this test but double check that with him. About the tent im not sure how your body is going to respond, going in and out constantly,

I'm British, and i'm pretty sure my doc would politely tell me to go away too/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif.

Has anyone from the UK had a hematocrit test done, and if so how and where?

Cheers

if you're really interested go to a private GP and request a test, the've no reason to refuse you if you're paying ££. i did a similar thing to get my blood grouping, technically pointless as i beleive that these days they have ways to test this in seconds, but the point is that if you go to the right sort of doctor and pay you will get.

The best way to do it here in th US is to ask for a full blood panel as stated. Cholesterol, PSAT, White cell count, Hematocrit etc. There are legitimate diagnostic reason to have this done on occassion as in yearly.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

The best way to do it here in th US is to ask for a full blood panel as stated. Cholesterol, PSAT, White cell count, Hematocrit etc. There are legitimate diagnostic reason to have this done on occassion as in yearly.
I think the altitude/hypoxic tent is permitted by the UCI. In that case just be straight forward with your physician about the reason of the exam. I would go even farther and test myself weekly or twice a month with his supervision. If you have medical insurance the exam is not expensive, provided that you leave out Cholesterol for example. For certain medications (the ones potentially dangerous to white cells for example) people need a monthly exam with hematocrit, white cells and red cells count only, that particular exam with insurance costs the same as one or two tubes for your clinchers !