Hematoma in Hand

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Jan 4, 2006.

  1. I'm 50 and in fairly good shape for my age. I also have a high
    platelet count, do not bleed or bruise easily and am a regular platelet
    donor. I exercise on weight machines (not with free weights) and the
    handles have padding on them. However, after doing the bench press the
    other day, I had a bruise on my hand. It appears to have developed
    into a localized, blood-filled swelling under the palm of my hand. Is
    this common? Is there a good way to treat it? Any ideas would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks in advance,
    Peter.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > I'm 50 and in fairly good shape for my age. I also have a high
    > platelet count, do not bleed or bruise easily and am a regular platelet
    > donor. I exercise on weight machines (not with free weights) and the
    > handles have padding on them. However, after doing the bench press the
    > other day, I had a bruise on my hand. It appears to have developed
    > into a localized, blood-filled swelling under the palm of my hand. Is
    > this common? Is there a good way to treat it? Any ideas would be
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > Peter.

    You might have a high platelet count, but how functional are they?

    And what about your coagulation protiens?
    --
    Om.

  3. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >

    >>I'm 50 and in fairly good shape for my age. I also have a high
    >>platelet count, do not bleed or bruise easily and am a regular platelet
    >>donor. I exercise on weight machines (not with free weights) and the
    >>handles have padding on them. However, after doing the bench press the
    >>other day, I had a bruise on my hand. It appears to have developed
    >>into a localized, blood-filled swelling under the palm of my hand. Is
    >>this common? Is there a good way to treat it? Any ideas would be
    >>greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >>Many thanks in advance,
    >>Peter.
    >>

    > You might have a high platelet count, but how functional are they?
    >
    > And what about your coagulation protiens?

    It's ebola. Sterilise the weight room!

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  4. Russ

    Russ Guest

    On 4 Jan 2006 07:41:34 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    > However, after doing the bench press the
    >other day, I had a bruise on my hand. It appears to have developed
    >into a localized, blood-filled swelling under the palm of my hand. Is
    >this common? Is there a good way to treat it? Any ideas would be
    >greatly appreciated.

    That is a cancerous tumor called a "whackofflion cyst" and you will be
    dead in a month unless you stop masturbating. Oh yeah... well rest in
    peace at least.

    / ~ .\
    |\__/
    | |
    | . |
    | `.` |
    __| `` | `.` |/~~\
    / | | | `` |/~~\
    \ ` . . | |
    \ . . ` /
    \ . . /
    \ . /
    | . |
    | |
    | |

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    spodosaurus <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > >

    > >>I'm 50 and in fairly good shape for my age. I also have a high
    > >>platelet count, do not bleed or bruise easily and am a regular platelet
    > >>donor. I exercise on weight machines (not with free weights) and the
    > >>handles have padding on them. However, after doing the bench press the
    > >>other day, I had a bruise on my hand. It appears to have developed
    > >>into a localized, blood-filled swelling under the palm of my hand. Is
    > >>this common? Is there a good way to treat it? Any ideas would be
    > >>greatly appreciated.
    > >>
    > >>Many thanks in advance,
    > >>Peter.
    > >>

    > > You might have a high platelet count, but how functional are they?
    > >
    > > And what about your coagulation protiens?

    > It's ebola. Sterilize the weight room!

    <snicker>
    --
    Om.

  6. Russ wrote:
    > On 4 Jan 2006 07:41:34 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > However, after doing the bench press the
    > >other day, I had a bruise on my hand. It appears to have developed
    > >into a localized, blood-filled swelling under the palm of my hand. Is
    > >this common? Is there a good way to treat it? Any ideas would be
    > >greatly appreciated.

    > That is a cancerous tumor called a "whackofflion cyst" and you will be
    > dead in a month unless you stop masturbating. Oh yeah... well rest in
    > peace at least.

    There appears to have been some confusion. I was not discussing the
    contents of your cranium.

  7. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > I'm 50 and in fairly good shape for my age. I also have a high
    > > platelet count, do not bleed or bruise easily and am a regular platelet
    > > donor. I exercise on weight machines (not with free weights) and the
    > > handles have padding on them. However, after doing the bench press the
    > > other day, I had a bruise on my hand. It appears to have developed
    > > into a localized, blood-filled swelling under the palm of my hand. Is
    > > this common? Is there a good way to treat it? Any ideas would be
    > > greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance,
    > > Peter.
    > >

    > You might have a high platelet count, but how functional are they?
    >
    > And what about your coagulation protiens?
    > --

    They both work fine. I guess I pinched some venules somehow. I guess
    I suffer mainly from hyperchondria.

    Thanks,
    Peter.

  8. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > I'm 50 and in fairly good shape for my age. I also have a high
    > > platelet count, do not bleed or bruise easily and am a regular platelet
    > > donor. I exercise on weight machines (not with free weights) and the
    > > handles have padding on them. However, after doing the bench press the
    > > other day, I had a bruise on my hand. It appears to have developed
    > > into a localized, blood-filled swelling under the palm of my hand. Is
    > > this common? Is there a good way to treat it? Any ideas would be
    > > greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance,
    > > Peter.
    > >

    > You might have a high platelet count, but how functional are they?
    >
    > And what about your coagulation protiens?
    > --

    They both work fine. I guess I pinched some venules somehow. I guess
    I suffer mainly from hyperchondria.

    Thanks,
    Peter.

  9. > spammage trappage: remove the underscores to reply

    > I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
    > neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
    > hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
    > marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
    > transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    > http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    > http://www.marrow.org/

    I'm sorry if that applies to you. I've been on the national bone
    marrow registry here in the 'States for the past 15 years. I was
    almost a match for a 20 y.o. female around the beginning of 2000. I
    passed the first two matches (out of six) but did not do so well in the
    third. Hopefully I will get a chance to donate marrow but, for now, I
    have to stick to platelets (no pun intended). A friend of mine had
    leukemia and had two donor matches so don't get discouraged.

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm 50 and in fairly good shape for my age. I also have a high
    > > > platelet count, do not bleed or bruise easily and am a regular platelet
    > > > donor. I exercise on weight machines (not with free weights) and the
    > > > handles have padding on them. However, after doing the bench press the
    > > > other day, I had a bruise on my hand. It appears to have developed
    > > > into a localized, blood-filled swelling under the palm of my hand. Is
    > > > this common? Is there a good way to treat it? Any ideas would be
    > > > greatly appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks in advance,
    > > > Peter.
    > > >

    > > You might have a high platelet count, but how functional are they?
    > >
    > > And what about your coagulation protiens?
    > > --

    > They both work fine. I guess I pinched some venules somehow. I guess
    > I suffer mainly from hyperchondria.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter.

    Possibly... but unless you have had some lab testing, you want to make
    sure that things are functioning properly.

    Have you talked to your doctor?
    --
    Om.

  11. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > > > You might have a high platelet count, but how functional are they?
    > > >
    > > > And what about your coagulation protiens?
    > > > --

    > > They both work fine. I guess I pinched some venules somehow. I guess
    > > I suffer mainly from hyperchondria.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Peter.
    > >

    > Possibly... but unless you have had some lab testing, you want to make
    > sure that things are functioning properly.
    >
    > Have you talked to your doctor?
    > --

    No. I guess I should. Thanks. I give platelets about once a month
    and they are always tested then. However, I guess I should see a
    physician to be on the safe side.

    Thanks again,
    Peter.

  12. Belarus

    Belarus Guest

    On 4 Jan 2006 18:50:40 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >> spammage trappage: remove the underscores to reply
    >>
    >> I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
    >> neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
    >> hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
    >> marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
    >> transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    >> http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    >> http://www.marrow.org/

    >I'm sorry if that applies to you. I've been on the national bone
    >marrow registry here in the 'States for the past 15 years. I was
    >almost a match for a 20 y.o. female around the beginning of 2000. I
    >passed the first two matches (out of six) but did not do so well in the
    >third. Hopefully I will get a chance to donate marrow but, for now, I
    >have to stick to platelets (no pun intended). A friend of mine had
    >leukemia and had two donor matches so don't get discouraged.

    He croaked-off at noon today.

  13. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    >>spammage trappage: remove the underscores to reply
    >>
    >>I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
    >>neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
    >>hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
    >>marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
    >>transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    >>http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    >>http://www.marrow.org/

    > I'm sorry if that applies to you. I've been on the national bone
    > marrow registry here in the 'States for the past 15 years. I was
    > almost a match for a 20 y.o. female around the beginning of 2000. I
    > passed the first two matches (out of six) but did not do so well in the
    > third. Hopefully I will get a chance to donate marrow but, for now, I
    > have to stick to platelets (no pun intended). A friend of mine had
    > leukemia and had two donor matches so don't get discouraged.

    Thanks, and thank you for being a platelet donor. I've had to receive
    them a few times, and patients undergoing chemotherapy often need them.

    Cheers,

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  14. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>,
    >> [email protected] wrote:

    >>>They both work fine. I guess I pinched some venules somehow. I guess
    >>>I suffer mainly from hyperchondria.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Peter.
    >>>

    >>Possibly... but unless you have had some lab testing, you want to make
    >>sure that things are functioning properly.
    >>
    >>Have you talked to your doctor?
    >>--

    > No. I guess I should. Thanks. I give platelets about once a month
    > and they are always tested then. However, I guess I should see a
    > physician to be on the safe side.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Peter.

    Hi Peter,

    Platelets are just one of the factors affecting clotting, which is what
    lead me to the ebola joke. See, in ebola your organs do not 'liquify',
    as Hollywood would like us to think. In fact, they look pretty darned
    good. However, your vein walls become more porous and the concentrations
    of the clotting proteins produced by the liver decrease. Platelet counts
    can be fine, but without adequate concentrations of all those proteins
    clots don't form as readilly (and hence ebola patients bleed out).
    Seeing as this is obviously concerning to you, hypochondriac or not, and
    you've done a great service to many many people by being a platelet
    donors, give yourself a break and have your clotting factors assessed.
    Just out of curiousity, did this bruise occur within 4 days following a
    platelet donation?

    Cheers,

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  15. The Dolt

    The Dolt Guest

    Don't take this personally Ari, but would you f*ing die already? You
    are a drain on your family, the medical profession, and the world. You
    are a leech.

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:24:09 +0800, spodosaurus
    <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    >>>Possibly... but unless you have had some lab testing, you want to make
    >>>sure that things are functioning properly.
    >>>
    >>>Have you talked to your doctor?
    >>>--

    >> No. I guess I should. Thanks. I give platelets about once a month
    >> and they are always tested then. However, I guess I should see a
    >> physician to be on the safe side.
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >> Peter.
    >>

    >Hi Peter,
    >
    >Platelets are just one of the factors affecting clotting, which is what
    >lead me to the ebola joke. See, in ebola your organs do not 'liquify',
    >as Hollywood would like us to think. In fact, they look pretty darned
    >good. However, your vein walls become more porous and the concentrations
    >of the clotting proteins produced by the liver decrease. Platelet counts
    >can be fine, but without adequate concentrations of all those proteins
    >clots don't form as readilly (and hence ebola patients bleed out).
    >Seeing as this is obviously concerning to you, hypochondriac or not, and
    >you've done a great service to many many people by being a platelet
    >donors, give yourself a break and have your clotting factors assessed.
    >Just out of curiousity, did this bruise occur within 4 days following a
    >platelet donation?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Ari

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] wrote:

    > > > They both work fine. I guess I pinched some venules somehow. I guess
    > > > I suffer mainly from hyperchondria.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Peter.
    > > >

    > > Possibly... but unless you have had some lab testing, you want to make
    > > sure that things are functioning properly.
    > >
    > > Have you talked to your doctor?
    > > --

    > No. I guess I should. Thanks. I give platelets about once a month
    > and they are always tested then. However, I guess I should see a
    > physician to be on the safe side.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Peter.

    Remember, when you are donating platelets, they are pumping you full of
    anticoagulants. They use calcium chelators. (I used to be a platelet
    donor)

    That might be contributing to the problem!

    Be sure to take some calcium supplements after donating.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    The Dolt <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Don't take this personally Ari, but would you f*ing die already? You
    > are a drain on your family, the medical profession, and the world. You
    > are a leech.

    I thought Bill lost his internet account?

    Hmmmmmm...

    Time to file more complaints I guess.

    Bill, foad already!
    --
    Om.

  18. The Dolt

    The Dolt Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:30:24 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I thought Bill lost his internet account?

    BAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah sure. Now run along and "do" your daddy fat boy.

  19. spodosaurus wrote:

    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > Platelets are just one of the factors affecting clotting, which is what
    > lead me to the ebola joke. See, in ebola your organs do not 'liquify',
    > as Hollywood would like us to think. In fact, they look pretty darned
    > good. However, your vein walls become more porous and the concentrations
    > of the clotting proteins produced by the liver decrease. Platelet counts
    > can be fine, but without adequate concentrations of all those proteins
    > clots don't form as readilly (and hence ebola patients bleed out).
    > Seeing as this is obviously concerning to you, hypochondriac or not, and
    > you've done a great service to many many people by being a platelet
    > donors, give yourself a break and have your clotting factors assessed.
    > Just out of curiousity, did this bruise occur within 4 days following a
    > platelet donation?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Ari

    No. That's the strange thing. I have not donated for about a month
    but will donate on Monday. I will mention the problem to them but
    think it was probably a matter of pinching a venule. I have been
    wolfing down a lot of ginger lately. It tends to be a mild
    anticoagulant. It didn't give me any problems when I worked out with
    the weights tonight and I have had something similar in the past on my
    finger. It went away by itself. I had showed it to one of my
    workmates who was a doctor and she didn't think it needed to be seen
    to. These days, none of my workmates are doctors, unfortunately.

    Thanks,
    Peter.

  20. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > Remember, when you are donating platelets, they are pumping you full of
    > anticoagulants. They use calcium chelators. (I used to be a platelet
    > donor)
    >
    > That might be contributing to the problem!
    >
    > Be sure to take some calcium supplements after donating.

    Thanks. I take Ca supplements anyway. Did the calcium chelators cause
    you any problems?

    Cheers,
    Peter.