Health Nutrition and Supplements · Public discussion

hemocromataosis - anyone else have this?

Started by rness024 · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,094 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Health Nutrition and Supplements
Published
19 April 2006
Last activity
24 April 2006
Original author
rness024
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,094
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was just diagnosed with the genetic desease hemocromatosis, and, well I guess that's a good thing. (since I'm young, and I don't yet have any symptoms.)

    about 1 million americans have this, and alot of them (most?) don't know about it. Basically it causes the body to not metabolize iron properly, and it just builds up and eventually becomes toxic wreaking havoc on the liver and other organs.

    I'm basically wondering about the treatment (which is essentially donating blood, and alot of it)... .how long will it take... how much can I train? these questions might be answered by the hemotologist I'm going to see next week, but I'm wondering if other athletes have had other experiences. feel free to post, or email me directly: [email hidden]

    I'm doing the willamette valley classic and Mt. hood classic stage race, and I definatly don't want to start treatment before then.

    THANKS.

  2. (bump)

    (i know i'm responding to my own post FYI)

    anyway - there's alot of good info here:
    http://www.irondisorders.org/

    I'm learning a good deal about this thing... And well, if any other cyclist with this iron deal, comes across this, let me know.. I'd like to share experience.

    THANKS!

    Ryan

  3. rness024 said:

    (bump)

    (i know i'm responding to my own post FYI)

    anyway - there's alot of good info here:
    http://www.irondisorders.org/

    I'm learning a good deal about this thing... And well, if any other cyclist with this iron deal, comes across this, let me know.. I'd like to share experience.

    THANKS!

    Ryan


    I have a family history of it. While I don't have the disease, I do have naturally high iron levels which could cause longer term problems similar to hemochromatosis.

    I donate blood every 3 months which keeps it under control. As others on this forum have mentioned about donating, it can kill a season. It takes about 48 hours for all the red blood cells to be replenished but about 3 weeks to be back on top to where you were at a physical level.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.