Henley o T to Basingstoke

Rogerc

Guest
I am cycling Norwich to Dorset, staying with friends near Luton and then Petersfield. I can see
sensible minor roads for a road bike , without too much traffic except trying to pick a route from
somewhere around Henley on Thames to the Basingstoke area. looks as if I want to cross the M3
between junctions 5 &
6.Can anyone give me some clues -- go east or west or straight through Reading?? I assume A321 from
Henley is very busy and no joy to ride and A 4155 to Reading the same.

In message <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> writes
>In message <[email protected]>, RogerC <[email protected]> writes
>>I am cycling Norwich to Dorset, staying with friends near Luton and then Petersfield. I can see
>>sensible minor roads for a road bike , without too much traffic except trying to pick a route from
>>somewhere around Henley on Thames to the Basingstoke area. looks as if I want to cross the M3
>>between junctions 5 &
>>6.Can anyone give me some clues -- go east or west or straight through Reading?? I assume A321
>> from Henley is very busy and no joy to ride and A 4155 to Reading the same.
>>

>Avoid Reading. The A321 isn't as busy as you think but the stretch from Henley to Wargrave is a bit
>narrow and dark. You might be better on the other side of the river. Guy Chapman commutes Reading
>to Henley so he's your man to tell you whether you should do this. You could then cross the river
>at Sonning (v. pretty) and go from Twyford to Wokingham either on the A321 (as I say, not busy) or
>first B3018 then 'yellow road'. From Wokingham A321 then B3016 to Finchampstead (I live here) then
>Eversley Cross and on to A30 junction. Cross this, first right to Elvetham and T-junction. Right
>and left along A323 where M3 crosses it. Then right and on lanes through Dogmersfield, Crondall,
>Bentley towards Liss. (Barley Mow pub just before Dogmersfield on canal, another pub in
>Dogmersfield.) Hope this helps, have a good trip.

If you're not interested in the pubs nr. Dogmersfield it's probably quicker although less pretty to
stay on the A323 towards Fleet, turning right towards Crookham after crossing the railway.
--
Michael MacClancy

Thx a lot for the reply -- I will study map and work it out. just the sort of help i was looking for

Roger

news:[email protected]...

On Fri, 23 May 2003 16:48:49 +0000 (UTC), "RogerC" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Can anyone give me some clues -- go east or west or straight through Reading?? I assume A321 from
>Henley is very busy and no joy to ride and A 4155 to Reading the same.

Eh up, I've been in Normandy. Do you still need to know this stuff?

FWIW you can get through Reading without too much difficulty - the A4155 Henley to Reading is OK
outside rush hour, but the parallel road through Binfield Heath is less heavily trafficked - though
the surface is not great. The problem with Reading is that it's transected by rivers, railway and
the M4 - there are limited crossing points for any of these. There's a footbridge over the M4 at
?Church Lane near Shinfield, and you can more or less parallel the Basingstoke Road down past
Stratfield Mortimer and so on.

There is a (?longer) route on the other side of the Thames, through Wargrave and Twyford, but I
really dislike the A321 between Henley and Twyford - it's narrow, has "hard" boundaries (walls,
cuttings - you can't bail out) for a fair bit of its length and is a real rat-run. For a pleasant
alternative from the Marlow direction, cross the river via the weir at Hambleden, then turn left and
immediately bear right past the pub and up to do a left-right across Remenham Hill and on towards
Cockpole Green, down into Wargrave, and the last bit of A321 is wide and open so safe enough (and
not that long anyway).

HTH

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
<[email protected]> typed:

> A4155 Henley to Reading is OK outside rush hour, but the parallel road through Binfield Heath is
> less heavily trafficked - though the surface is not great.

A slight understatement :)

I was in that area today - ended up dodging potholes about every 100m or so...

Didn't S. Oxon District Council run out of money for road repairs or something like that?

One wonders what on *earth* gets driven up there to destroy the road surface in such a fashion - I
know there are tractors etc. but wouldn't have thought they would cause that much damage....

Alex

In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
<[email protected]> typed:

> A4155 Henley to Reading is OK outside rush hour, but the parallel road through Binfield Heath is
> less heavily trafficked - though the surface is not great.

A slight understatement :)

I was in that area today - ended up dodging potholes about every 100m or so...

Didn't S. Oxon District Council run out of money for road repairs or something like that?

One wonders what on *earth* gets driven up there to destroy the road surface in such a fashion - I
know there are tractors etc. but wouldn't have thought they would cause that much damage....

Alex

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote

> There's a footbridge over the M4 at ?Church Lane near Shinfield,

Cutbush Lane. Used to be quite a pleasant way south if you ignored the occasional gipsies, fly
tippers & flamed out hulks. It used to be confined to a stretch of about 50 yards but has
deteriorated considerably since some barriers were removed. A load of rubbish was dumped about 3 or
4 weeks ago, there is verge to verge glass for over 200 yards and a number of containers have
leaked. There has been no sign of council operatives.

I am hoping Wokingham will tell me something about it.

David Roberts

"Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > A4155 Henley to Reading is OK outside rush hour, but the parallel road through Binfield Heath is
> > less heavily trafficked - though the surface is not great.

> One wonders what on *earth* gets driven up there to destroy the road surface in such a fashion - I
> know there are tractors etc. but wouldn't have thought they would cause that much damage....

It's at least partly down to Mummy dashing up to Reading in the Range Rover after dropping Tarquin
and Jocasta at school. But that road has never been decently maintained, and South Oxon has been
starved of cash for ever - County sends all the money to Oxford.

I use that route more on the 'bent, because the suspension eats the bumps, but it's pretty ropey.

"RogerC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Can anyone give me some clues -- go east or west or straight through Reading?? I assume A321 from
> Henley is very busy and no joy to ride and A 4155 to Reading the same.

Update: apparently NCN23 is about to open between Reading & Basingstoke, and I'd expect the signage
to be in place by now. Not yet checked Sustrans.

Guy

Guy Chapman wrote:

> "RogerC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > Can anyone give me some clues -- go east or west or straight through Reading?? I assume A321
> > from Henley is very busy and no joy to ride and A 4155 to Reading the same.
>
> Update: apparently NCN23 is about to open between Reading & Basingstoke, and I'd expect the
> signage to be in place by now. Not yet checked Sustrans.

I understood it was part of NCN27 through Silchester and Bramley and is due for opening officially
on 18th June.

John B

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > > Can anyone give me some clues -- go east or west or straight through Reading?? I assume A321
> > > from Henley is very busy and no joy to ride
and A
> > > 4155 to Reading the same.

> > Update: apparently NCN23 is about to open between Reading & Basingstoke, and I'd expect the
> > signage to be in place by now. Not yet checked Sustrans.

> I understood it was part of NCN27 through Silchester and Bramley and is
due for opening
> officially on 18th June.

Dunno, like I say I haven't checked Sustrans yet. I had a email from my local CTC secretary.

--
Guy
===

In message <[email protected]>, Guy Chapman
<[email protected]> writes
>"RogerC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> Can anyone give me some clues -- go east or west or straight through Reading?? I assume A321 from
>> Henley is very busy and no joy to ride and A 4155 to Reading the same.
>
>Update: apparently NCN23 is about to open between Reading & Basingstoke, and I'd expect the signage
>to be in place by now. Not yet checked Sustrans.
>
>Guy

Will probably be a nice ride but goes further west than the OP needs to be. IMHO.
--
Michael MacClancy