Herald Sun reader comments on death of James Gould

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by ghostgum, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. ghostgum

    ghostgum New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20301604-661,00.html#comments

    Tags:

  2. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    Police appeal for witnesses? Don't they have enough already?????? :confused:

    And why would you stop when there are enough people around the incident already, taking control of the situation? There is nothing you can do in a situation like that where people are already taking the necessary actions apart from become a part of the audience (and perhaps provide a statement to the police, which can be done later)?

    Sigh... gotta learn to let go on the anti-journalise sentiments ....

  3. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    "A memorial ride has been organised by the St Kilda Cycling Club as a mark of respect to Mr Gould."

    Umm... isn't that kind of twisted? How about a memorial WALK.

    A 'memorial ride' would be like holding a duck hunt in memory of Laurie Levy*

    *ok, so he may not be dead..

  4. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    like the duck hunt analogy :D

    Lets just hope the entire ride obeys the road rules - probably best not to have it on a Sat/Sun morning for that reason...... I can see the memorial ride getting caned in the paper along the same lines that the Hell Ride has. :(

  5. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    ghostgum wrote:
    > http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20301604-661,00.html#comments

    It's sad that someone has died and I think the guy that rode through the
    red light should haved the book thrown at him, but if the hell Ride is
    *such* a dangerous event and if riders are *always* breaking the law and
    it happens *every* weekend and the old guy walks along that stretch of
    road *every* day you would think he would know to take a little extra care?

    Just like when you push a stroller across a zebra crossing, you can't
    assume anything...

    --
    BrettS

  6. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Aaaagh the Herald Sun is driving me mad (okay some may say that is my
    fault for reading the Herald Sun). but in three pieces about this
    accident I've seen reference to riders speeding, racing, and tearing
    along Beach Rd at speeds up to 60kmh. What I'd like to know is since
    when was doing up to 60kmh in a 60kmh zone speeding, and where did they
    find 200 riders in melbourne that can ride at 60kmh on a flat road?

    Can one of the regular or occasional riders fill me in on what th epeak
    speeds really are and how long they last (I'm tipping they're limited to
    Olivers Hill).

    DaveB

  7. BrettS <[email protected]> wrote:

    > ghostgum wrote:
    > > http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20301604-661,00.html#comments
    > >

    > It's sad that someone has died and I think the guy that rode through the
    > red light should haved the book thrown at him, but if the hell Ride is
    > *such* a dangerous event and if riders are *always* breaking the law and
    > it happens *every* weekend and the old guy walks along that stretch of
    > road *every* day you would think he would know to take a little extra care?
    >
    > Just like when you push a stroller across a zebra crossing, you can't
    > assume anything...
    >
    > --
    > BrettS

    Ever thought of getting a job as a spokesman for the Israeli Defense
    Force? They need people who can rationalise like you.

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
    http://bicyclemackay.org.au

  8. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    gplama wrote:
    > "A memorial ride has been organised by the St Kilda Cycling Club as a
    > mark of respect to Mr Gould."
    >
    > Umm... isn't that kind of twisted? How about a memorial WALK.
    >
    > A 'memorial ride' would be like holding a duck hunt in memory of Laurie
    > Levy*
    >

    > *ok, so he may not be dead..

    Perhaps no Hell Ride for at least a week as a sign of respect!?

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  9. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    BrettS wrote:

    > It's sad that someone has died and I think the guy that rode through
    > the red light should haved the book thrown at him, but if the hell
    > Ride is *such* a dangerous event and if riders are *always* breaking
    > the law and it happens *every* weekend and the old guy walks along
    > that stretch of road *every* day you would think he would know to
    > take a little extra care?

    Let's blame the victim. Old bloke walked accross the crosswalk after a bunch
    of cyclists stopped for him. How silly is that?

    Theo

  10. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    So you're an actual eyewitness now? FFS..

  11. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
  12. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-08-30, DaveB (aka Bruce)
    > Aaaagh the Herald Sun is driving me mad (okay some may say that is my
    > fault for reading the Herald Sun). but in three pieces about this
    > accident I've seen reference to riders speeding, racing, and tearing
    > along Beach Rd at speeds up to 60kmh. What I'd like to know is since
    > when was doing up to 60kmh in a 60kmh zone speeding, and where did they
    > find 200 riders in melbourne that can ride at 60kmh on a flat road?
    >
    > Can one of the regular or occasional riders fill me in on what th epeak
    > speeds really are and how long they last (I'm tipping they're limited to
    > Olivers Hill).

    Oliver's Hill, 60 or 70.

    (uphill 20 or 30 :)

    flats, 45 or 50 depending on who's driving.

    There are enough undulations and stoplights that the average is
    brought down to 40 or 42.

    That's my experience from the day (the average is well documented
    though).

    --
    TimC
    double value; /* or your money back! */

  13. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher Guest

    DaveB wrote:
    > Aaaagh the Herald Sun is driving me mad (okay some may say that is my
    > fault for reading the Herald Sun). but in three pieces about this
    > accident I've seen reference to riders speeding, racing, and tearing
    > along Beach Rd at speeds up to 60kmh. What I'd like to know is since
    > when was doing up to 60kmh in a 60kmh zone speeding, and where did they
    > find 200 riders in melbourne that can ride at 60kmh on a flat road?
    >
    > Can one of the regular or occasional riders fill me in on what th epeak
    > speeds really are and how long they last (I'm tipping they're limited to
    > Olivers Hill).
    >
    > DaveB

    50+km an hour for most of the way. 60km is quite doable in a medium
    sized bunch.

    To me it is not like a race, it is mostly aimed at a hard effort and
    keeping th bunch together, that's not racing.

    Problems come when less trained people are at their limit just to hang
    on, then they don't want to stop

  14. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > Theo Bekkers Wrote:

    >> Let's blame the victim. Old bloke walked accross the crosswalk after
    >> a bunch
    >> of cyclists stopped for him. How silly is that?

    > So you're an actual eyewitness now? FFS..

    Just reading the news stories as they unfold. And you?

    Theo

  15. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Who pissed in your cornflakes today eh?

    As you enquire, I'm actually attempting to take on this potential backlash and media firestorm by assisting with sending out Wheels of Justice media releases, managing the website enquiries, engaging with the media, cycling groups and individuals et al.

    Wheels of Justice Media Release
    http://www.woj.com.au/2006/08/29/wheels-of-justice-media-release/

    Let alone all the other unpaid work I do for my local BUG. All unpaid voluntary work. WTF do you do Theo? Anything?

  16. On 2006-08-30, cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Theo Bekkers Wrote:
    >> Just reading the news stories as they unfold. And you?

    > Who pissed in your cornflakes today eh?

    I could ask the same question of you. I have the distinct impression
    that you're taking more offence at what's being written here than is
    actually warranted.

    Take a step back from the computer, stretch, and take a deep breath.
    *Both* of you.

  17. Terryc

    Terryc Guest

    BrettS wrote:

    > Just like when you push a stroller across a zebra crossing, you can't
    > assume anything...

    Well, can you explain what all those mothers who blindly push them onto
    busy roads are doing?

  18. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Haahaa, you vainly tring to read the riot act on moi, Stuart?

    After awhile we all get sick of this open slander trolling crap, and a line has to be drawn, err, "typed". You don't like it when someone *actually* stands up to it?

    Deal with it, it's the internerd :p

  19. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > Theo Bekkers Wrote:

    >> Just reading the news stories as they unfold. And you?

    > Who pissed in your cornflakes today eh?

    Never eat cereals. I think it was Neiwand that pissed in peoples food and
    drink.

    > As you enquire, I'm actually attempting to take on this potential
    > backlash and media firestorm by assisting with sending out Wheels of
    > Justice media releases, managing the website enquiries, engaging with
    > the media, cycling groups and individuals et al.

    Good for you.

    > Wheels of Justice Media Release
    > http://www.woj.com.au/2006/08/29/wheels-of-justice-media-release/

    Hmm, that doesn't do it for me. Looks like a whitewash. Sorry.

    > Let alone all the other unpaid work I do for my local BUG. All unpaid
    > voluntary work. WTF do you do Theo? Anything?

    Hehehehe. Where do you want me to start? The Vinnies, the Keep Oz Beautiful
    Council, the Adult Literacy Council, the Red Cross, the Bush Fire Brigades,
    or just regular monetary donations?

    Theo

  20. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Stuart Lamble wrote:

    > Take a step back from the computer, stretch, and take a deep breath.
    > *Both* of you.

    <takes deep breath>

    Theo