Herald Sun Tour

Maverick5

New Member
May 9, 2004
I just got a message at the top of the screen saying I hadn't posted in a while (edit because I only realised I had made more than one post before), so I thought I would find out who is going to be attending the Crit on Lygon St tomorrow for the Herald Sun Tour?

Ideal spots to watch from?

One more question, if I don't go tomorrow, where exactly in Werribee is the crit on friday? All the herald sun site says is it is in Werribee. I might go to that one instead (free all day, why not?).

"Maverick5" <[email protected]
> I just got a message at the top of the screen saying I hadn't posted in
> a while (edit because I only realised I had made more than one post
> before), so I thought I would find out who is going to be attending the
> Crit on Lygon St tomorrow for the Herald Sun Tour?

I'd love to sneak out of work with the camera
but don't know if it will happen. Maybe if I take
the small camera and train in?

hippy

"Maverick5" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> who is going to be attending the Crit on Lygon St tomorrow for the Herald
> Sun Tour?

I've taken the day off work for the purpose of riding to the city to watch
the Lygon St Stage. I got my fixie back today with it's new set of hubs so
tomorrow it's coming out to play.

> Ideal spots to watch from?

Last year I watched from midway along the start/finish straight at a point
where you could look across the park to the other side of the course, but
last year I was on foot. This year I'll probably move around a bit since
I'm on the bike.

> One more question, if I don't go tomorrow, where exactly in Werribee is
> the crit on friday? All the herald sun site says is it is in Werribee.
> I might go to that one instead (free all day, why not?).

No idea I'll just drive around town until I find it (Yeah, I've taken Friday
off work too). My guess is it will be in a highly visible location. If I
can't find it I'll just call my mate, who's scored a job as a wrench for one
of the teams, to get directions.

Geoff

"Geoff" <[email protected]
> I've taken the day off work for the purpose of riding to the city to watch
> the Lygon St Stage. I got my fixie back today with it's new set of hubs

so
> tomorrow it's coming out to play.

You slacker! ;-)
Looks like I might catch the train into the city and
ride up to Lygon St. I'll probably bring the little
camera (which will be next to useless, but still).

15, 000 people watched last year
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/tour2004/

"Gold" Potential:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/tour2004/story_page/0,9957,11063576%5E14000,00.html

hippy

> "Geoff" <[email protected]
>> I've taken the day off work for the purpose of riding to the city to
>> watch
>> the Lygon St Stage. I got my fixie back today with it's new set of hubs

> so
>> tomorrow it's coming out to play.

> You slacker! ;-)
> Looks like I might catch the train into the city and
> ride up to Lygon St. I'll probably bring the little
> camera (which will be next to useless, but still).
>
> 15, 000 people watched last year
> http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/tour2004/
>
> "Gold" Potential:
> http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/tour2004/story_page/0,9957,11063576%5E14000,00.html
>
> hippy

some photo's at:
www.dejonica.com/lygon-crit
mostly largish file sizes as they were taken straight off the camera and i
cant be bothered resizing..

"Maverick5" <[email protected]

> I just got a message at the top of the screen saying I hadn't posted in
> a while (edit because I only realised I had made more than one post
> before), so I thought I would find out who is going to be attending the
> Crit on Lygon St tomorrow for the Herald Sun Tour?

I made it there.. mmm extended lunch break..

The pace looked FAST (I know you're all going "duh!")
especially with the close proximity of the spectators. No
accidents that I'm aware of. I'll leave the results for you
lot to find out for yourselves.

Some dodgy photos will probably appear on
www.thehippy.net when I get around to it.

hippy

"Maverick5" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> One more question, if I don't go tomorrow, where exactly in Werribee is
> the crit on friday? All the herald sun site says is it is in Werribee.
> I might go to that one instead (free all day, why not?).

It's around the Werribee Primary School and starts at 11am.

Geoff

Geoff said:
"Maverick5" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> One more question, if I don't go tomorrow, where exactly in Werribee is
> the crit on friday? All the herald sun site says is it is in Werribee.
> I might go to that one instead (free all day, why not?).

It's around the Werribee Primary School and starts at 11am.

Geoff

Thanks for the info, didn't make it down today, but I am going tomorrow.

Result from Stage 2: Baden Cooke took out the stage in a bunch sprint.

Race was pretty straightforward except for a dodgy corner which had a roundabout just after it (pick a line, any line).

Storm started to come through towards the end, it got very windy, blowing a Subaru flag into the bunch with 2 laps to go, which caused about 5 men to go down. Baden's team led him out over the final lap to win the bunch sprint easily.

> "Maverick5" <[email protected]
>>
>> I just got a message at the top of the screen saying I hadn't posted in
>> a while (edit because I only realised I had made more than one post
>> before), so I thought I would find out who is going to be attending the
>> Crit on Lygon St tomorrow for the Herald Sun Tour?

> I made it there.. mmm extended lunch break..
>
> The pace looked FAST (I know you're all going "duh!")
> especially with the close proximity of the spectators. No
> accidents that I'm aware of. I'll leave the results for you
> lot to find out for yourselves.
>
> Some dodgy photos will probably appear on
> www.thehippy.net when I get around to it.
>
> hippy

hippy,

Considering the equipment used the pics came out reasonably well.

When I was talking to you on Thursday at stage 1 you asked me what cadence I
had reached for my max speed on the fixie (42x15) which was at that time was
49km/h. Cadence for 49km/h was around 137rpm. I later bettered that max by
another 5km/h so at 54km/h cadence was about 150rpm.

On the way home I made a detour out to Simpson Barracks at Mcleod to visit
the wife at work and instead of going straight along lower Heidelberg road
(the flatter route) I made the mistake turning onto Upper Heidelberg Rd and
going through the Ivanhoe shopping strip and then via Lower Plenty Rd to
McLeod. The problem I faced was a massive climb up from the shopping strip
in Rosanna to where I wanted to go. Gags, you would know this road/hill
well. Anyway I did make it to the top and it was easier than what I thought
it was going to be considering the 42x15 gear I was restricted to. It's got
me thinking about how difficult would it actually be to ride the fixie (in
the same gear) up the Burgundy St hill!!!

Geoff

Geoff said:
It's got
me thinking about how difficult would it actually be to ride the fixie (in
the same gear) up the Burgundy St hill!!!

Geoff

one day, one day...

Gags and hippy on the SS's
you me on the fixies
someone else on the end of the rope to pull us up :D

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]
> Gags and hippy on the SS's
> you me on the fixies
> someone else on the end of the rope to pull us up :D

NickZX6R on a ZX6R? ;-)

hippy
24% drivers admit to texting and driving,
37% to drinking and driving

hippy said:
"flyingdutch"
> someone else on the end of the rope to pull us up :D

NickZX6R on a ZX6R? ;-)

and make an attempt on the bicycle speed record, the world one's 268.6km/h (167.9mph), wonder what the oz record is.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/oct04/oct20news
(Blijlevens goes for speed)