herb discovery - barlauch

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mia, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. Mia

    Mia Guest

    I made a delicious discovery here in Germany -- it's a
    wonderful herb called "barlauch". It's plentiful at the
    moment and the taste and aroma are just incredible -- like
    garlic and leek combined in a leaf. If you see it in your
    area, definitely pick some up. I've seen barlauch soup in
    my area, barlauch pesto, and I've heard that it is also
    sometimes used in the famous "green sauce" that is well-
    known in the Frankfurt area. I found a short article about
    it by a woman who made the same discovery -- she briefly
    describes where it grows, how it tastes, and cooking with
    it -- enjoy!

    http://www.lynnogryzlo.com/archivev2.htm

    (I recommend a Google image search on barlauch for an idea
    of what it looks like....) Mia

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:28:55 +0200, Mia wrote:

    > I made a delicious discovery here in Germany -- it's a
    > wonderful herb called "barlauch".

    Allium ursinum

    Called "ransoms" or sometimes wild garlic. Don't confuse the
    leaves with those of the "lilly of the valley" unless you
    want to end up very ill or dead.

    --
    Tim C.

  3. On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:28:55 +0200, Mia wrote:

    > I made a delicious discovery here in Germany -- it's a
    > wonderful herb called "barlauch".

    Pronounced "bear-lauch". the -ch as in Scottish "loch".

    --
    Tim C.

  4. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"Mia"
    >
    >I made a delicious discovery here in Germany -- it's a
    >wonderful herb called "barlauch".

    http://www-
    ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?All-
    i_urs.html

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  5. On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:44:56 GMT, Tim Challenger wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:28:55 +0200, Mia wrote:
    >
    >> I made a delicious discovery here in Germany -- it's a
    >> wonderful herb called "barlauch".
    >
    > Allium ursinum
    >
    > Called "ransoms"

    er... I mean raMsoN. doh!

    --
    Tim C.

  6. Mia wrote:
    > I made a delicious discovery here in Germany -- it's a
    > wonderful herb called "barlauch". It's plentiful at the
    > moment and the taste and aroma are just incredible -- like
    > garlic and leek combined in a leaf. If you see it in your
    > area, definitely pick some up. I've seen barlauch soup in
    > my area, barlauch pesto, and I've heard that it is also
    > sometimes used in the famous "green sauce" that is well-
    > known in the Frankfurt area. I found a short article about
    > it by a woman who made the same discovery -- she briefly
    > describes where it grows, how it tastes, and cooking with
    > it -- enjoy!
    >
    > http://www.lynnogryzlo.com/archivev2.htm
    >
    > (I recommend a Google image search on barlauch for an idea
    > of what it looks like....) Mia

    Hi,

    Baerlauch looks quite similar to lily of the valley, but its
    smell is unmistakable (garlic).

    --Werner