Here it is...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by G.T., Feb 8, 2004.

  1. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    ...a little number called...

    U! ***

    http://www.2fortheroad.net/bent/bent.html

    Please let me know if any of you have problems seeing the large versions of the pictures.

    Greg

    *** My most sincere apologies for the misappropriation of a classic Wire song.

  2. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Oh yeah,

    I'll be losing the Fire XC Pro as soon as possible for something bigger, blacker, and uncut.

    I'll also be cutting my steerer tube after the next ride or two.

    And I need to shorten the brake hoses and re-route the rear one through the seat tube gusset.

    And, no, I'm not losing the bar ends.

    Greg

  3. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

  4. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

  5. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

  6. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    >>http://www.2fortheroad.net/bent/bent.html
    >>

    >>Please let me know if any of you have problems seeing the large versions of the pictures.
    >>
    >>Greg
    >

    > Bar ends and A bottle cage!!!

    I tried with my last bike to ride without bar ends and I couldn't stand it.

    The bottle cage serves two purposes, energy drink goes in the bottle while straight water goes in
    the Camelback (one of the reasons I got the Turner was because it had an open triangle for bottle
    cage). The other purpose is to hold my light battery, ancient Night Sun water bottle battery.

    > lol ... just kidding... great bike!
    >
    > Dang, http://www.2fortheroad.net/bent/bent_arrow2.html that thing looks awfully steep. You didn't
    > climb it, did you?

    Yes, that section is pretty flat, though. There's a section later that I haven't cleaned in years.
    Some day I'll clean it again.

    Greg

  7. "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Is your fork travel too much?

    The silly git is only using the fork that the frame was designed around.

    Chainstays look a little bit above
    > horizontal... Maybe that's normal, I don't know.

    Say it with me class:

    "sag"

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    >> http://www.2fortheroad.net/bent/bent.html
    >
    > Is your fork travel too much? Chainstays look a little bit above horizontal... Maybe that's
    > normal, I don't know.

    It's the angle of the picture/trail. Look at the ground bottom of each tire.

    I don't there's a SC fork made today that would be too much travel for that bike.
    --
    Slacker

  9. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

    > >> http://www.2fortheroad.net/bent/bent.html
    > >
    > > Is your fork travel too much? Chainstays look a little bit above horizontal... Maybe that's
    > > normal, I don't know.
    >

    > It's the angle of the picture/trail. Look at the ground bottom of each
    tire.

    Ah, I see now.

    > I don't there's a SC fork made today that would be too much travel for
    that
    > bike.

    Z-150? ;)
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  10. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

    > > Is your fork travel too much?
    >
    > The silly git is only using the fork that the frame was designed around.

    Hmm... shows how much I know about Turners.

    > Chainstays look a little bit above
    > > horizontal... Maybe that's normal, I don't know.
    >
    > Say it with me class:
    >
    > "sag"

    "saaahhhhhhhhggggggg" How's that?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  11. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    Nice, you ran out of money, spending it on the fork and frame, so you got stuck with an old pair of
    1998 LX cranks. =)

    Oh well... cranks is cranks, for the most part!

    Enjoy the new bike!

    -John Morgan

    Let us know how you like the Juicy's after you have them for a while.

  12. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    ZeeExSixAre wrote:
    >>>Is your fork travel too much?
    >>
    >>The silly git is only using the fork that the frame was designed around.
    >

    > Hmm... shows how much I know about Turners.

    Dude, it has nothing to do with being a specific brand. What do you think would happen with 5" of
    travel and a BB that was at the same level or below the rear axle? Your pedals would be dragging on
    the ground during compression.

    Greg

  13. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    John Morgan wrote:
    > Nice, you ran out of money, spending it on the fork and frame, so you got stuck with an old pair
    > of 1998 LX cranks. =)

    Good job noticing that, I thought my photos were out of focus enough that no one would notice. I
    think they're 1999s though.

    > Oh well... cranks is cranks, for the most part!

    Pretty much, but I had to borrow the only 73x115 BB my friend had and it was an UN52, it
    weighs a ton.

    I pulled the crank and pedals, handlebars and stem, rear derailer, chain and cassette, seat and
    seatpost from the old bike.

    > Enjoy the new bike!

    Sure thing, it fits me much better than my last bike which had a way too long top tube for me.

    > -John Morgan
    >
    > Let us know how you like the Juicy's after you have them for a while.

    Being a disc neophyte and all my opinion doesn't count much but I can't imagine anything working
    better. They were trivial to set up and after only one off-road ride they are powerful stoppers. I
    felt like a barney out there because it was so easy to lock up the rear, and it's easy to lift the
    rear wheel with one finger on the front brake lever, and I love the fact that the levers are
    symmetric so I can run front brake on the right.

    Greg

  14. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Keep up the good work.

    I MTB 2004

  15. Chris K

    Chris K Guest

    > Being a disc neophyte and all my opinion doesn't count much but I can't imagine anything working
    > better. They were trivial to set up and after only one off-road ride they are powerful stoppers. I
    > felt like a barney out there because it was so easy to lock up the rear, and it's easy to
    lift
    > the rear wheel with one finger on the front brake lever, and I love the fact that the levers are
    > symmetric so I can run front brake on the right.

    Very sweet bike. Have you noticed the Juicy 7's caliper rubbing your front spokes? I have read that
    with some wheel combinations the caliper can hit the spokes. I only ask because I am trying to
    choose between a few 2004 bikes and two of them have Juicy 7's the others have XTs. Thanks.

    -Chris King

  16. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

    > >>The silly git is only using the fork that the frame was designed around.
    > >

    > > Hmm... shows how much I know about Turners.
    >
    > Dude, it has nothing to do with being a specific brand. What do you think would happen with 5" of
    > travel and a BB that was at the same level or
    below
    > the rear axle? Your pedals would be dragging on the ground during compression.

    On sites with other bikes that have 5" seemed to have more or less horizontal stays... the Giant AC1
    in particular. I see what you mean, but I wasn't sure how much travel the 5-spot had, although I was
    guessing 5. Doy. ;)

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  17. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > John Morgan wrote:
    >> Nice, you ran out of money, spending it on the fork and frame, so you got stuck with an old pair
    >> of 1998 LX cranks. =)
    >>

    > Good job noticing that, I thought my photos were out of focus enough that no one would notice. I
    > think they're 1999s though.
    >
    >> Oh well... cranks is cranks, for the most part!
    >
    > Pretty much, but I had to borrow the only 73x115 BB my friend had and it was an UN52, it
    > weighs a ton.
    >
    > I pulled the crank and pedals, handlebars and stem, rear derailer, chain and cassette, seat and
    > seatpost from the old bike.

    As a GE stockholder, I'm gratified to know that NBC is still paying Minimum Wage to its workers.

    Bill "free 'fridge boxes for shelter?" S.

  18. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "Chris K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Being a disc neophyte and all my opinion doesn't count much but I can't imagine anything working
    > > better. They were trivial to set up and after only one off-road ride they are powerful stoppers.
    > > I felt like a barney out there because it was so easy to lock up the rear, and it's easy to
    > lift
    > > the rear wheel with one finger on the front brake lever, and I love the fact that the levers are
    > > symmetric so I can run front brake on the
    right.

    > Very sweet bike. Have you noticed the Juicy 7's caliper rubbing your front spokes? I have read
    > that with some wheel combinations the caliper can hit the spokes. I only ask because I am trying
    > to choose between a few 2004 bikes and two of them have Juicy 7's the others have XTs. Thanks.

    No, I had read about that on mtbr.com, though. I'm running a Fox Vanilla RLC 125, an XT hub, and
    the Juicys.

    HTH, Greg

  19. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > G.T. wrote:
    > > John Morgan wrote:
    > >> Nice, you ran out of money, spending it on the fork and frame, so you got stuck with an old
    > >> pair of 1998 LX cranks. =)
    > >>

    > > Good job noticing that, I thought my photos were out of focus enough that no one would notice. I
    > > think they're 1999s though.
    > >
    > >> Oh well... cranks is cranks, for the most part!
    > >
    > > Pretty much, but I had to borrow the only 73x115 BB my friend had and it was an UN52, it weighs
    > > a ton.
    > >
    > > I pulled the crank and pedals, handlebars and stem, rear derailer, chain and cassette, seat and
    > > seatpost from the old bike.
    >
    > As a GE stockholder, I'm gratified to know that NBC is still paying
    Minimum
    > Wage to its workers.

    Minimum wage, no benefits, no vacation, no sick days, no holiday pay. You're supporting my use of
    shitty parts by supporting GE's poor employment practices by buying their stock. I say sell! Now!

    Greg "doing ok except for the lack of benes" T.

  20. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    G.T. wrote:

    > Greg "doing ok except for the lack of benes" T.

    They'll just get you strung out anyway.

    Bill "Black Beauties ruled the '70s" S.