Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G.T.

...a little number called...

X

U! ***

http://www.2fortheroad.net/bent/bent.html

Please let me know if any of you have problems seeing the large versions of the pictures.

Greg

*** My most sincere apologies for the misappropriation of a classic Wire song.
--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,
just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

Oh yeah,

I'll be losing the Fire XC Pro as soon as possible for something bigger, blacker, and uncut.

I'll also be cutting my steerer tube after the next ride or two.

And I need to shorten the brake hoses and re-route the rear one through the seat tube gusset.

And, no, I'm not losing the bar ends.

Greg

--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,

Slacker wrote:
>>http://www.2fortheroad.net/bent/bent.html
>>
>>
>>Please let me know if any of you have problems seeing the large versions of the pictures.
>>
>>Greg
>
>
>
> Bar ends and A bottle cage!!!

I tried with my last bike to ride without bar ends and I couldn't stand it.

The bottle cage serves two purposes, energy drink goes in the bottle while straight water goes in
the Camelback (one of the reasons I got the Turner was because it had an open triangle for bottle
cage). The other purpose is to hold my light battery, ancient Night Sun water bottle battery.

>
> lol ... just kidding... great bike!
>
> Dang, http://www.2fortheroad.net/bent/bent_arrow2.html that thing looks awfully steep. You didn't
> climb it, did you?

Yes, that section is pretty flat, though. There's a section later that I haven't cleaned in years.
Some day I'll clean it again.

Greg

--

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Is your fork travel too much?

The silly git is only using the fork that the frame was designed around.

Chainstays look a little bit above
> horizontal... Maybe that's normal, I don't know.

Say it with me class:

"sag"

>> http://www.2fortheroad.net/bent/bent.html
>
> Is your fork travel too much? Chainstays look a little bit above horizontal... Maybe that's
> normal, I don't know.

It's the angle of the picture/trail. Look at the ground bottom of each tire.

I don't there's a SC fork made today that would be too much travel for that bike.
--
Slacker

"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> http://www.2fortheroad.net/bent/bent.html
> >
> > Is your fork travel too much? Chainstays look a little bit above horizontal... Maybe that's
> > normal, I don't know.
>
>
> It's the angle of the picture/trail. Look at the ground bottom of each
tire.

Ah, I see now.

> I don't there's a SC fork made today that would be too much travel for
that
> bike.

Z-150? ;)
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

> > Is your fork travel too much?
>
> The silly git is only using the fork that the frame was designed around.

Hmm... shows how much I know about Turners.

> Chainstays look a little bit above
> > horizontal... Maybe that's normal, I don't know.
>
> Say it with me class:
>
> "sag"

"saaahhhhhhhhggggggg" How's that?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Nice, you ran out of money, spending it on the fork and frame, so you got stuck with an old pair of
1998 LX cranks. =)

Oh well... cranks is cranks, for the most part!

Enjoy the new bike!

-John Morgan

Let us know how you like the Juicy's after you have them for a while.

ZeeExSixAre wrote:
>>>Is your fork travel too much?
>>
>>The silly git is only using the fork that the frame was designed around.
>
>
> Hmm... shows how much I know about Turners.

Dude, it has nothing to do with being a specific brand. What do you think would happen with 5" of
travel and a BB that was at the same level or below the rear axle? Your pedals would be dragging on
the ground during compression.

Greg

--

John Morgan wrote:
> Nice, you ran out of money, spending it on the fork and frame, so you got stuck with an old pair
> of 1998 LX cranks. =)
>

Good job noticing that, I thought my photos were out of focus enough that no one would notice. I
think they're 1999s though.

> Oh well... cranks is cranks, for the most part!

Pretty much, but I had to borrow the only 73x115 BB my friend had and it was an UN52, it
weighs a ton.

I pulled the crank and pedals, handlebars and stem, rear derailer, chain and cassette, seat and
seatpost from the old bike.

>
> Enjoy the new bike!

Sure thing, it fits me much better than my last bike which had a way too long top tube for me.

>
> -John Morgan
>
> Let us know how you like the Juicy's after you have them for a while.
>
>

Being a disc neophyte and all my opinion doesn't count much but I can't imagine anything working
better. They were trivial to set up and after only one off-road ride they are powerful stoppers. I
felt like a barney out there because it was so easy to lock up the rear, and it's easy to lift the
rear wheel with one finger on the front brake lever, and I love the fact that the levers are
symmetric so I can run front brake on the right.

Greg

--

> Being a disc neophyte and all my opinion doesn't count much but I can't imagine anything working
> better. They were trivial to set up and after only one off-road ride they are powerful stoppers. I
> felt like a barney out there because it was so easy to lock up the rear, and it's easy to
lift
> the rear wheel with one finger on the front brake lever, and I love the fact that the levers are
> symmetric so I can run front brake on the right.
>
Very sweet bike. Have you noticed the Juicy 7's caliper rubbing your front spokes? I have read that
with some wheel combinations the caliper can hit the spokes. I only ask because I am trying to
choose between a few 2004 bikes and two of them have Juicy 7's the others have XTs. Thanks.

-Chris King

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> ZeeExSixAre wrote:
> >>>Is your fork travel too much?
> >>
> >>The silly git is only using the fork that the frame was designed around.
> >
> >
> > Hmm... shows how much I know about Turners.
>
> Dude, it has nothing to do with being a specific brand. What do you think would happen with 5" of
> travel and a BB that was at the same level or
below
> the rear axle? Your pedals would be dragging on the ground during compression.

On sites with other bikes that have 5" seemed to have more or less horizontal stays... the Giant AC1
in particular. I see what you mean, but I wasn't sure how much travel the 5-spot had, although I was
guessing 5. Doy. ;)

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

G.T. wrote:
> John Morgan wrote:
>> Nice, you ran out of money, spending it on the fork and frame, so you got stuck with an old pair
>> of 1998 LX cranks. =)
>>
>
> Good job noticing that, I thought my photos were out of focus enough that no one would notice. I
> think they're 1999s though.
>
>> Oh well... cranks is cranks, for the most part!
>
> Pretty much, but I had to borrow the only 73x115 BB my friend had and it was an UN52, it
> weighs a ton.
>
> I pulled the crank and pedals, handlebars and stem, rear derailer, chain and cassette, seat and
> seatpost from the old bike.

As a GE stockholder, I'm gratified to know that NBC is still paying Minimum Wage to its workers.

Bill "free 'fridge boxes for shelter?" S.

"Chris K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Being a disc neophyte and all my opinion doesn't count much but I can't imagine anything working
> > better. They were trivial to set up and after only one off-road ride they are powerful stoppers.
> > I felt like a barney out there because it was so easy to lock up the rear, and it's easy to
> lift
> > the rear wheel with one finger on the front brake lever, and I love the fact that the levers are
> > symmetric so I can run front brake on the
right.
> >
> Very sweet bike. Have you noticed the Juicy 7's caliper rubbing your front spokes? I have read
> that with some wheel combinations the caliper can hit the spokes. I only ask because I am trying
> to choose between a few 2004 bikes and two of them have Juicy 7's the others have XTs. Thanks.
>

No, I had read about that on mtbr.com, though. I'm running a Fox Vanilla RLC 125, an XT hub, and
the Juicys.

HTH, Greg

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> G.T. wrote:
> > John Morgan wrote:
> >> Nice, you ran out of money, spending it on the fork and frame, so you got stuck with an old
> >> pair of 1998 LX cranks. =)
> >>
> >
> > Good job noticing that, I thought my photos were out of focus enough that no one would notice. I
> > think they're 1999s though.
> >
> >> Oh well... cranks is cranks, for the most part!
> >
> > Pretty much, but I had to borrow the only 73x115 BB my friend had and it was an UN52, it weighs
> > a ton.
> >
> > I pulled the crank and pedals, handlebars and stem, rear derailer, chain and cassette, seat and
> > seatpost from the old bike.
>
> As a GE stockholder, I'm gratified to know that NBC is still paying
Minimum
> Wage to its workers.
>

Minimum wage, no benefits, no vacation, no sick days, no holiday pay. You're supporting my use of
shitty parts by supporting GE's poor employment practices by buying their stock. I say sell! Now!

Greg "doing ok except for the lack of benes" T.

G.T. wrote:
>
> Greg "doing ok except for the lack of benes" T.

They'll just get you strung out anyway.

Bill "Black Beauties ruled the '70s" S.

Status
Not open for further replies.