Here we go again!

Alan Smithee writes:

> (AP) Frequent mountain biking may reduce fertility in men, according to a small Austrian study
> that adds fodder to a debate over cycling and male sexual function.

This sounds like the beginning of saddles with holes and slots in the surface to accommodate the
testicles and protect the urethra... more than 100 years ago. Don't jest. Specialized exhumed that
story a couple of years ago to start their assault on bicycle saddles that, as sheep go, was copied
by nearly all saddle makers who put fart slots in the rear and some with labia majora and urethra
pinch slots in the nose of the saddle. The axiom of ignoring history applies.

Jobst Brandt <[email protected]> Palo Alto CA

> Alan Smithee writes:
>
> > (AP) Frequent mountain biking may reduce fertility in men, according to a small Austrian study
> > that adds fodder to a debate over cycling and male sexual function.
>
> The axiom of ignoring history applies.

Doesn't it give you a warm fuzzy feeling to know that so many well-meaning people are so very
concerned about our cojones?

> Alan Smithee writes:
>
> > (AP) Frequent mountain biking may reduce fertility in men, according to a small Austrian study
> > that adds fodder to a debate over cycling and male sexual function.
>
> This sounds like the beginning of saddles with holes and slots in the surface to accommodate the
> testicles and protect the urethra... more than 100 years ago.

Jobst what kind of saddle did you use back then? <g>

Prof

>... was copied by nearly all saddle makers who put fart slots in the rear and some with labia
>majora and urethra pinch slots in the nose of the saddle.

Interesting that the naming of some useless bicycle parts varies with the jurisdiction.

In Oz such saddles have become known as Beaver Breathers, and even more curiously seem to be
increasingly fashionable among male riders with lots of miles in their legs.

My observation is that most discomfort can be fixed by a person experienced in fitting cycles to
humans - particularly if they fit a lot of truthless who seem to get very vocal very quickly if the
seat is causing grief and are fairly direct in expressing unhappiness about their bikes.

Fashion was ever a false god.

best Andrew (remove the .x1 to reply)

Zippy the Pinhead wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Alan Smithee writes:
>>

>>>(AP) Frequent mountain biking may reduce fertility in men, according to a small Austrian study
>>>that adds fodder to a debate over cycling and male sexual function.
>>
>>The axiom of ignoring history applies.
>

> Doesn't it give you a warm fuzzy feeling to know that so many well-meaning people are so very
> concerned about our cojones?

Well I know of one person who has had their testicles bruised by a saddle with the slot cut in so I
am not so sure they don't offset one type of "alleged damage" with another more readily observable
type. I liken this to the level of hype, which has created the rabid lemming like behavior around
bicycle helmets. The gimmickry around ergonomic bicycles seats is much like most modern consumer
focused "safety enhancement, a few grains of truth mixed in with a barn full of marketing silage.

Terry (tired of our nanny nation) Rudd

"Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >... was copied by nearly all saddle makers who put fart slots in the rear and some with labia
> >majora and urethra pinch slots in the nose of the saddle.
>
> Interesting that the naming of some useless bicycle parts varies with the jurisdiction.
>
> In Oz such saddles have become known as Beaver Breathers, and even more curiously seem to be
> increasingly fashionable among male riders with lots
of
> miles in their legs.
>
> My observation is that most discomfort can be fixed by a person
experienced
> in fitting cycles to humans - particularly if they fit a lot of truthless who seem to get very
> vocal very quickly if the seat is causing grief and
are
> fairly direct in expressing unhappiness about their bikes.
>
> Fashion was ever a false god.
>
> best Andrew (remove the .x1 to reply)

Sorry - for truthless read triathletes, a word my spell checker fails to recognise ...

>Doesn't it give you a warm fuzzy feeling to know that so many well-meaning people are so very
>concerned about our cojones?

Not when those well meaning people are trying to charge double or triple the price. My cojones are
just fine without their unecessary saddle modifications.