herebal use

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Mlb, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    I'm kind of new to the use of herbs and the effect they actually have. I was just wondering if
    their was anyone out there using them and if they can give me some feedback on them whether postive
    or negative.

    Tags:

  2. "mlb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm kind of new to the use of herbs and the effect they actually have. I was just wondering if
    > their was anyone out there using them and if they can give me some feedback on them whether
    > postive or negative.

    There are many books available on the therapeutic uses of herbaceous plants, but not all are
    authoritative. Many contain absolute nonsense like, "Ginseng strengthens the immune system," or "Blue-
    green algae restore balance to the body." Such meaningless blanket statements are not really useful
    to one trying to use herbs medicinally.

    But the real problem with turning to herbal medication is obtaining a supply. Unless you grow your
    own, or stick with the common culinary herbs you can buy at your supermarket, you have to trust your
    vendor completely to sell you what you think you are buying. If you buy a carton of milk, or a
    bottle of aspirins, you are assured that you are getting exactly what the labels on their containers
    claim...no less and no unlabeled additives...as regulated by the FDA. But herbs, sold as
    "nutritional supplements," are entirely unregulated. If you purchase a bottle of capsules of, say,
    "Feverfew," you have no assurance how much of the actual herb those capsules contain, if any. You
    also have no way of knowing what ELSE is in those capsules as filler. Neither the FDA no anyone else
    prevents the herb sellers from filling their capsules with common weeds and selling them under many
    labels at absurdly high prices. If you think this is not done, you are quite naive.

    So your quest for medicinal herbs is going to be difficult, both in finding reliable information,
    and in finding reliable product.

    Good Luck.

    --Rich

  3. kathy37

    kathy37 Guest

    As far as herbal "products", consumerslab.com ( which bills themselves as an independent testing
    lab) can be useful. Unfortunately they are currently only "rating" about 15 different herbals &
    their manufacturers, but it's a start.

    There is a "membership fee" for their complete reports, but you can still get the names of at least
    a few brands that passed (or didn't) their tests for "purity" & containing what their label purports
    they contain, plus basic information on the herbs (or vitamins or...) themselves. Purchasing herbs
    out of glass jars would be more problematic.

  4. Eric Bohlman

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > But the real problem with turning to herbal medication is obtaining a supply. Unless you grow
    > your own, or stick with the common culinary herbs you can buy at your supermarket, you have to
    > trust your vendor completely to sell you what you think you are buying. If you buy a carton of
    > milk, or a bottle of aspirins, you are assured that you are getting exactly what the labels on
    > their containers claim...no less and no unlabeled additives...as regulated by the FDA. But
    > herbs, sold as "nutritional supplements," are entirely unregulated. If you purchase a bottle of
    > capsules of, say, "Feverfew," you have no assurance how much of the actual herb those capsules
    > contain, if any. You also have no way of knowing what ELSE is in those capsules as filler.
    > Neither the FDA no anyone else prevents the herb sellers from filling their capsules with common
    > weeds and selling them under many labels at absurdly high prices. If you think this is not done,
    > you are quite naive.

    If I were, for some reason, to decide that I ought to be taking, say, feverfew, my first inclination
    would be to find a German supplier, since Germany has meaningful (and strict) regulations for
    herbals. My understanding is that Australia also at least in theory does a good job of regulating
    "supplements," though the Pan scandal makes me wonder how well the practice comes up to the theory.
    What do others think of this idea? What other countries take herbals seriously enough to regulate
    them properly?

  5. Bew

    Bew Guest

    "Eric Bohlman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > But the real problem with turning to herbal medication is obtaining a supply. Unless you grow
    > > your own, or stick with the common culinary herbs you can buy at your supermarket, you have to
    > > trust your vendor completely to sell you what you think you are buying. If you buy a carton of
    > > milk, or a bottle of aspirins, you are assured that you are getting exactly what the labels on
    > > their containers claim...no less and no unlabeled additives...as regulated by the FDA. But
    > > herbs, sold as "nutritional supplements," are entirely unregulated. If you purchase a bottle of
    > > capsules of, say, "Feverfew," you have no assurance how much of the actual herb those capsules
    > > contain, if any. You also have no way of knowing what ELSE is in those capsules as filler.
    > > Neither the FDA no anyone else prevents the herb sellers from filling their capsules with common
    > > weeds and selling them under many labels at absurdly high prices. If you think this is not done,
    > > you are quite naive.
    >
    > If I were, for some reason, to decide that I ought to be taking, say, feverfew, my first
    > inclination would be to find a German supplier, since Germany has meaningful (and strict)
    > regulations for herbals. My understanding is that Australia also at least in theory does a good
    > job of regulating "supplements," though the Pan scandal makes me wonder how well the practice
    > comes up to the theory. What do others think of this idea? What other countries take herbals
    > seriously enough to regulate them properly?

    Strong belief that the Pan fiasco was a total setup , drug companies making a huge push worldwide to
    gain control of the VERY lucrative alternative health business . You want the very best herbal
    products check out Neways .

    ---

    Release Date: 18/02/2004

  6. David Wright

    David Wright Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Bew <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Strong belief that the Pan fiasco was a total setup , drug companies making a huge push worldwide
    >to gain control of the VERY lucrative alternative health business .

    Yeah sure, those evil drug companies sneaked in during the dead of night and messed up Pan's
    machinery to make it dirty and unreliable.

    >You want the very best herbal products check out Neways .

    Oh, you mean those guys who publish all the crap about "toxins in the home?" (The very same "toxins"
    that are present in their own products.)

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
    correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
    shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)