Here's a fairly extensive HR Zone calculator. Yes it's FREE!!

I've used this calculator before and its great to have something that throws figures at you. Infact. it was partly my insporation for writing my website for logging times spent in zones. A website? yes, mainly for logging my numbers when I got to work without carrying a memory stick with me with a spreadsheet on it. www.Zonecalc.co.uk is designed for 5 zones so a little adjsutment is needed depending on whose system you follow (I palnt to add more options for zones)

giantdrag said:
I've used this calculator before and its great to have something that throws figures at you. Infact. it was partly my insporation for writing my website for logging times spent in zones. A website? yes, mainly for logging my numbers when I got to work without carrying a memory stick with me with a spreadsheet on it. www.Zonecalc.co.uk is designed for 5 zones so a little adjsutment is needed depending on whose system you follow (I palnt to add more options for zones)

So you're a cycling artist. :D Tyson

Sillyoldtwit said:
So you're a cycling artist. :D Tyson
I have never known what kind of an artist, Right now it's the bottle of Yellow Trail Chardonny (just fnished the 09 cyclo cross season so celebrating a 5th overall, and let me tell you, it's pretty peachy!!) but I'm not sure you mean that kind of artist. (it's a English thing, ask if you don't know what the F i'm talking about)

On a serious note. I am more of an artist than a programmer so I apologise if the software doesn't suit you but I needed to learn some coding and this is what I came up with. The site is more for news and blogs but if the diary suits you then great!! if not, no worries.

Doctor Morbius said:
I've noticed a few recent threads asking questions about heart rate training zones. Since it's that time of year again when everyone gets out their trusty steed and start logging miles I thought this would be useful.

It's a heart rate calculator for those of you that still train using obsolete methods :eek: (like me). It's an Excel spreadsheet and you will need to know your age, resting HR, LT via Friel's test and LT via Coggan's test should you want to use those features. I'm sure most of you will already know your max heart rate but there are a couple of ways to estimate it should you need to.

You will find heart rate training zones from the following orgs/coaches...
  • Joe Friel
  • Andy Coggan
  • British Cycling Fed
  • Peter Keen (original BCF guidelines)
  • Sally Edwards
  • Karnoven Formula
  • Ric Stern
  • Dr. Peter Kanopka
  • ACSM guidelines
The information in BLUE is what you will need to enter. It currently has my info so just type over it. The pages following the calculator give more in depth detail of the coache's guidlines.

Unzip and have at it. If you don't have Excel you can download a free Excel viewer from Micro$oft. I used Excel 2003 to type it up.

Don't worry, the file has been tested several times for viruses. That's the last thing I would do to you guys. If you don't have an anti-virus package I highly recommend Avast. It is free for personal use. www.avast.com
Hmm. I'm not able to type over the numbers in blue. I can scroll to them, but the numbers don't appear when I type them.

Any thoughts?

Hi

I am new to cycle training and am to be using my HR to determine my training regime, I have found this spreadsheet very informative, but would like some clarrification from one or more of the more experienced members.

I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere, I have read this thread, and done a general internet search of time trials in this context (having previously been under the impression time trials meant to complete a certain course in least time possible) but still feel I need some clarification

In this spreadsheet where Time Trial is to be taken for the Coggan and Friel Lactate threshold tests, am I correct in assuming that for this test Time trial refers to "riding as far as you can within this prescribed time at a sustainable rate"?

So for example for the Coggan test, 60 min time trial, this would be be 60 minutes cycling at a pace which I precieve I can maintain (not easily but not at maximum effort) consitantly for 60 minutes? i.e. I should be within 70-80% (zone 2) of my Max HR for this time trial for 60 mins and my Lactate threshold is the average over this time, say my Max HR is 196, and I cycle within 70-80% (zone 2) of this for an hour and my average HR is about 142 BPM for the 60 mins, then by average HR is is equal to lactate threshold.

Or am I misunderstanding and I should be ignoring my Max HR and the zones for this test and just pushing myself to go as far as I can within 60 mins recording my heart rate along the ride and then extracting my average?

Thanks in advance for any help. I have a few more questions but they would be better fitting in other sections, i.e. bike buying advice.

Dirty Digger said:
DM,
Fantastic s/s.
Have you included the Zones which come as pdf on CD with some (most?) Polar HRM for cycling. 'Performance Cycling' by Adrie van Diemen and Jabik-Jan Bastiaans 2002?
DD
just do it

Hi there

Just wondering about this file, i have tried to open this a number of ways but it keeps saying the file is invalid.
Is it just me or is it playing up atm?

I have tried saving it to my desktop as well but with no luck :eek:

Any help you can offer would be great :D

I'm glad that so many have enjoyed this HR Calc for the past few years. I'm really shocked that it's still a sticky at the top of the page. :eek:

Anyway, I'm hoping to get in some decent rides this summer, but nothing too serious. However, it's a long time until late September so you never know. :D

The excel I have dreamed of all day! Thanks for your sharing.

My experience is that for cyclist who is just aimed to improve the fitness, use Sally Edwards method is enough. But for performance cyclist, LTHR may be better. Going up, PowerTap is the ultimate tool :D

Have you read ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescription(8th edition)? Table 1.2 (about exercise intensity) shows the difference between Sally Edwards method and Karnoven method. Maybe you can add this table in your excel.

I use to have this, this was an excellent calculator. I will have to see if i can find it. Unless someone else can post it up.

I'm not seeing a download link for this, so if someone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it!

The only thing you need to be worried about heart rate on the bike is that it's above zero...

Hello!

I did read the whole thread, but I've found the link. Would someone be so kind and post the link or send to me?

TNX TNX!