Here's a fairly extensive HR Zone calculator. Yes it's FREE!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Doctor Morbius, May 11, 2006.

1. Tom Stormcrowe

Tom Stormcrowe New Member

Lafayette, and what I get is simply a readable copy, but now I see that's what you intended. OK, I was hoping for a functional spreadsheet I could use to track my data with.

2. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Oh no, it's nothing that elaborate. I can only do basic stuff with Office.

3. sooray02

sooray02 New Member

thank you so much!!!

4. WrxAnt

WrxAnt New Member

Thanks Doc! Good work.

Cheers
    WrxAnt

5. BtonRider

BtonRider New Member

I don't know why you say it's obsolete technology. It's what most people use who can't afford $2000 for a power tap. I haven't read anything seriously suggesting HR training isn't still a highly efficient trainting method.

And you summed it up perfectly for all the major coaches. I don't think you need to get permission from the various authors/coaches to use their training zones as long as you reference where you got them from and you don't make any money off of your program.

Are you planning to add Chris Carmichael's zone's as well? I read his book a while ago and thought he had some good ideas.

... Thanks again for a great HR calculator

6. Doctor Morbius

It pales in comparison to using wattage, at least for the higher zones. As a recreational rider I only ride for about an hour tops these days yet the amount of cardiac drift I experience can be substantial. It's very hard to gauge intervals on HR alone. I've done it in the past but now resort to a combination of RPE and avg speed.

Thanks. Yes I am planning on adding Charmichael's older and newer zones. Just haven't gotten around to it.

7. BtonRider

BtonRider New Member

Perhaps you're right that power is a better way of measuring physical conditioning. I guess I think of HR as a measure of perceived effort. I know some people can gauge how hard they're working on a scale of 1-10 but I have a hard time using such a subjective scale. That's why I depend on HR. I know how long I can stay in any of the HR zones. I do some 12+ hour events and HR has worked great for me. You're of course right that for short intervals you don't have enough time for your HR to stabalize so power is a better measurement Perhaps someday I'll try a power meter but until they drop below $500 I don't see that happening.

8. bikecoach

bikecoach New Member

HR Zones can only accurately give you a training guide for Aerobic training. When you do an interval that is hard, your body and HR can not imediatelly respond. It is here when you are using your anaerobic system that your HR becomesmore irrelevent.

9. OscarC

OscarC New Member

Nice spread sheet. I'm an analyst, work with numbers all day long and live on excel...nice compellation. Please let us know when the final corrected version is up. I have a brother that is just learning to train with an HR and I would love for him to see this.

Thanks!

10. Doctor Morbius

Thank you Oscar. The version in post #7 in this thread has been corrected. Eventually though I am going to add some more zones to it - most notably Charmichael`s older and newer zones and possibly some others as well. That will probably take place this winter.

Glad you liked it.

11. PATCASH

PATCASH New Member

Question I have been in zone for the past 2 weeks i have been training everyday my hours has been : example 1:50 cycling at avr 156 max at 178 , i have been in zone for the entire ride in this particular ride.
    another example: 2:15 stayed in zone for 1:14 avr 160 max 188
    is that normal to be in zone as 2 weeks prior i was in zone for 1 min, 0 min. 10 min. I am new on this only to realize that being out of zone means burning more calories and feeling great, but i feel the same being in zone and their is not change on calories burned. am i getting to strong or do i need to go higher ?
    please help someone!! this is been bothering me that i have decide to turn to a cycling forum...
    thanks
    pc

12. BtonRider

BtonRider New Member

Your Question isn't very clearly written, so it's difficult to give advice. When you say you were "in zone," do you mean according to the ACSM? Everyone else has multiple zones, maybe you should download to HR Calculator or buy Cris Carmichael's book "The Ultimate Ride" for a better understanding of HR Training.

13. PATCASH

PATCASH New Member

thank you so much for answering me, yes sorry for not being clear... I have been using a heart monitor since i've start cycling to get fit and stronger heart not that i am old or unfit... but, i was trying to loose the excess pound so i can ride faster, i usually ride with guys that kick 22 -27 miles/h i usually watch my CAD and i was not sure what is the best way to keep burning more cal by riding faster and not being in zone (HR) or being in a blue zone which is a low ride but longer... that make sense or not ? I want to make sure that all my rides outside or trainer i will get stronger and faster ... i will buy the book you have mentioned and see if that makes more sense to me as to what is a good hr training...
    pat :)

14. Tommasini53

Tommasini53 New Member

Thanks for posting this spreadsheet. Now, I am curious if i am interpreting the spreadsheets correctly.

• Using friel's test I have an average HR of 178 for the last 20 minutes of a 30 minute TT.
    • Using Carmichal's technique of 2 back to back 3 mile TT I average 180 for the 2.
    So, based on this data, am I correct to conclude that my LTHR is in the 178 to 180 range??? My max HR is 194. I'm inquiring because a LTHR of 178 - 180 just seems high. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

15. Doctor Morbius

Hi Tommasini. Sorry it's taken me a while to get with you. I'm not a regular contributor like I used to be.

What it means is that if they are that close you could use either one. Technically LTHR is not a valid term of phrase as LT is actually based on certain lactate blood levels. LTHR is only a crude estimate and should be viewed as such.

Don't worry about it sounding too high. Some people can roll right along with heart rates like humming birds while others ride just as fast with a much lower HR. It's a very individual value with a lot of variance just like max HR.

I suggest you take one of the tests (whichever one you choose to base your zones) about every 4 to 6 weeks. You may find that over time your LTHR value actually drops as fitness levels increase and that your perceived effort and average speed increase.

16. PATCASH

PATCASH New Member

thanks finally I go an answer I will try your recomendation! Pat

17. Kovach_89

Kovach_89 New Member

Thanks for this HR Zone calculator.I`m starting to use it now :)
    Man you are the doc :p

18. izatt82

izatt82 New Member

yeah this is pretty nice im a newbie so this will start to help me move along with my training

thanks alot

19. knonfs

knonfs New Member

As a newbie, I am having a hard understanding the "time trial" part, how exactly am I supposed to do this TT for 30 min (Friel's way)?

Am I supposed to go all out for 30 minutes?

20. lnyndhlp

lnyndhlp New Member

Does anyone know what Andy Coggan means by Endurance Pace in this calculator? I've done a double century, mostly in the middle of his Tempo zone. I notice it says his Tempo zone is for road races >2.5hrs. Is that for any duration longer than 2.5hrs? Even as long as 24 hours?